Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > General Discussion

Old 01-08-2008, 02:27 PM
CEO, Reese Cup Corp
Field Marshal

Default Skinny Buddha vs Chubby Buddha

What's the difference. Does one symbolize one thing and the other something else. I can't seem to find the answer.

Christopher McCandless
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 02:51 PM
Corporal

Default Re: Skinny Buddha vs Chubby Buddha

Now I am not a Buddhist, even though I am quite intrigued, but I always thought it had to do with sensibilities. The Thai Buddhas are usually skinny and "attractive", whereas the Chinese Buddhas are usually the ones with the potbelly. At least I think so. Rubbing the belly of a fat Buddha is supposed to bring luck, Rubbing the belly of a skinny Buddha is just wrong, unless you are gay (not that there is anything wrong with that), and even then, it is a little weird....
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
Private

Buddha — Birth Name: Siddhartha Gautama

Siddhartha Gautama (the thin one) was from India and not considered the only Buddha. The term "Buddha" means "the awakened one" and therefore anyone who becomes awakened can be considered a Buddha. The larger Buddha is known in English as "the laughing Buddha" and is popular for being friendly. His image is based on a Chinese monk. Many people rub is round belly for good luck.
If you ever have the chance to visit a Buddhist temple, you will see that there are many more Buddha's to discover and learn from.

Hey, I got the s&!t from some f@#king website so don't go blastin' a brotha for not knowin' it all, YO!!! LOL

Last edited by Steve Laino; 01-08-2008 at 03:41 PM..
Old 01-10-2008, 10:07 AM
Inkless and Hating It
Private

From what I've read, the "Fat Buddha" is supposed to represent what you gain from experience. The skinny is more accurate for the actual Buddha person. Now every time you change the position of his feet, hands, eyes, hairstyle, flower he's sitting in, what he's holding, wearing, etc., etc., etc., it changes his meaning. Good luck!!
Old 01-10-2008, 11:07 AM
CEO, Reese Cup Corp
Field Marshal

thanks everyone, still pretty confused but ol' mr google should help me out.

Christopher McCandless
Old 01-11-2008, 02:05 PM
Web Sensei
Corporal

Beware when researching Buddha (for more than 'what does this one mean?') - you will find yourself drawn more and more to it since it makes so much sense. I'm personally too materialistic and self centered to make a good buddhist, but other than that I would do it in a heartbeat.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Corporal

All I have to say about that is WORD!
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 01-11-2008, 04:28 PM
CEO, Reese Cup Corp
Field Marshal

this is what drew me in:

"believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha"

Christopher McCandless
Old 01-11-2008, 07:44 PM
Needs Church
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryhaddon View Post
this is what drew me in:

"believe nothing, no matter where you read it or who has said it, not even if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense.
-buddha"
This is good advice!
... ( y )
Old 01-11-2008, 11:38 PM
Web Sensei
Corporal

The Dali Lama is about the only religious leader who is always smiling a geniune smile - and his advice is always just as sage as what is posted above 'it may not be right for everyone, but its right for me and it makes me happy'

How can you not like that?

Tags
buddha, chubby, skinny