Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > All or Nothing Pitbull Rescue > Pit Bull Rescue

Old 04-17-2008, 10:40 AM
Private

Default Insurance Co. vs. 10 yr old Pitmix

Ok. I need help!

One of my best friends adopted a 10 yr old pitmix, Timber, from our shelter.
He is one of my favorite dogs ever to come through our doors. His elderly owner died and so he was homeless. He's a great dog, sweet as can be.

She just got a letter from her insurance carrier here in CT stating they will be cancelling her homeowner's policy at the end of this month because she has a Pitbull and they don't insure dogs of that breed or temperament. The company is called Patron's Mutual. (they sent an inspector out and he found the dog to be a Pit in his report)

PLEASE tell me you know of a company that is better than that ? Any info is appreciated. This dog has spent about a year in our shelter, through no fault of his own and it's breaking my heart to think he might end up homeless again.

HELP!

Thank you,
Blake

ps. here are two photos of Timber and me.

www.myspace.com/pixieangeldesigns
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 11:48 AM
Field Marshal

Default Re: Insurance Co. vs. 10 yr old Pitmix

this is happenning more and more across our country - its not just pits either - dobermans, rotties, and any animal that is menacing in "appearence" is subjest to these new statues and insurance policies.

its serious.

every region is different so as far as CT goes I have no idea, someone needs to call ALL of the insurance companies in yoru area and find one thats cool - the same thing is happening here in GA - and its getting worse.

keep us posted!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 09:12 PM
Private

After much searching and learning how to navigate the CT General Assembly bill database, I found that what the company is trying to do is illegal. THANKFULLY, a law was passed in 2005 here in CT making it illegal for insurance carriers to deny coverage based on breed. (and here I thought I was going to need to start writing congressman myself)
Section (2) is the part that means they cannot deny coverage or raise premiums based on the breed of ANY dog (not just the ones mentioned in part 1) And now we can fight this crap with the law backing us up.

Approved by the Legislative Commissioner

May 6, 2005

AN ACT CONCERNING HOMEOWNERS AND TENANTS INSURANCE UNDERWRITING BASED ON BREED OF DOG.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Assembly convened:

Section 1. (NEW) (Effective January 1, 2006) With respect to a policy for personal risk insurance, as defined in section 38a-663 of the general statutes, delivered, issued for delivery, renewed, amended or continued in this state on or after January 1, 2006, no insurer may establish rates or minimum premiums under such policy or cancel, refuse to renew or refuse to issue such policy on the basis of the breed of dog owned by the insured with respect to (1) any dog that is (A) an active or retired member of a volunteer canine search and rescue team, as defined in section 5-249 of the general statutes, or (B) a guide dog trained or being trained to assist blind, deaf or mobility impaired persons, or (2) any dog that is not described in subdivision (1) of this section unless additional criteria other than breed is used with respect to the dog that is covered by this subdivision.

And here is a link to the full law:

http://www.cga.ct.gov/2005/fc/2005HB...R000728-FC.htm
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 04-18-2008, 08:23 AM
Field Marshal

wow! is there one like that in GA?
Old 04-18-2008, 11:29 AM
Private

Not sure on GA, but I've just learned that this law was shot down in the end even though it passed the house and the state senate . I will now be contacting state reps and the like - we have to get this back and signed.

Apparently what I found was the bill IF it was passed BUT it was not!

OK guys - the note below is from Amy Stegall who is with National Sled Dog Rescue - I contacted her originally because she had posted on a forum that came up when I googled this CT law from 2005 - she had asked folks to please push to get this law passed etc -

Please read her note below - though what I found looked like a passed bill to me - and I could not find where it was not passed - but she would know - as this type of legislation effects the huskies she deals with as well (they are a "Black list breed")

This will make it very easy for everyone who adopts any "pit-like" breed to get slammed by their insurance companies. In otherwords, it's a huge deal to those of us who try to find homes for animals!

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Hello,

Unfortunately, the bill did not pass. What you found was an approved amendment. The amendment was a desperate attempt to keep the bill alive, but ultimately the insurance industry lobbyists killed the bill.

You should contact Representative Megna, he is the one that introduced this bill orginally. I tried my best to push it--but it was a terrible battle for our little group.

I am curious what breed this is about, and which insurance company? Very sorry to hear about your problem. It is so frustrating when you have insurance companies do this.

Let me know if there is anything else I can help with, and good luck.

Amy
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-02-2008, 01:51 AM
Private

Get a licensed Vet to certify him as a Dalmation mix. Our Vet has been really creative. We have a Dalmation mix, a Lab mix, a Visla mix, and a Bulldog mix. None are really mixes, but it satisfies the insurance company.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:23 AM
Private

There is now breed testing available if you think that the dog may be less then half pit bull. I have heard of some insurance companies allowing the animals if they can be proven to be less than half of the "black listed" breed. My cousin who is a vet in NJ sent me this link in reference to the breed testing.

http://www.wisdompanel.com/mixed_bre...s/default.aspx

Tags
insurance, pitmix