Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 02-08-2010, 01:02 PM
Corporal

Default this Painting business at conventions...(rant /rave etc)

is kinda annoying. I mean great tattooists show up to a convention to only PAINT! I hold a BFA and love alternative medias, and believe color mixing, shading, and compostional theories can be great practiced with drawing and painting. However, wouldn't it be wierd if at an american artist convention the painters showed up and TATTOOED!

seriously, I think the painting should be about what might be possible in skin. not just an different a sideshow.

example....Kurt Kobain experimented with painting and art. But made money with his music, only allowing his visual art to influence maybe a covor or stage set. but themusic was always the main show.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 10:44 AM
Private

Default Re: this Painting business at conventions...(rant /rave etc)

Not sure why you're super mad. Itd be cool to see some people paint. Like Barber or Gogue.

Was it false advertised?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 02:55 PM
Private

depends how u look at tattoos. some artists more paint on the skin rather tattoo on it. i look at tattoo more perminet painting.
Old 02-10-2010, 03:31 PM
Corporal

Dude with all due respect I think you have your priorities mixed up.
Are u an artist al all?
I really enjoyed seeing Nick Baxter, Shawn Barber and many others jay painting at the visionary expo in Miami.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:15 PM
Corporal

In the world of oil painters those guys are just OIL PAINTERS

are they tattooers? Was it a TATTOO convention or a PAINTING convention.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:17 PM
Private

nick is a tattoo artist and so damn bad ass. id love to watch him tattoo and or paint any day.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Corporal

The main reason why you have painting at conventions is because people like Paul Booth, Philip Leu , Guy Aitchison and many other great artists worked hard to make out of most tattoo conventions a true artistic event in many ways.

I cannot see myself bother by his unless I was not into art.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:39 AM
Platoon Sargent

When I attend a convention, I spend more time in the room where the painting is going on, it's the most quiet room and it's relaxing watching the artists paint, the music usually sucks unless it's Sean Herman headbanging to some old country western while tattooing, keepin' it real.
I don't like being one of the eighteen standing over the tattoo artist while he's working. I wouldn't allow that in my booth at the shop but that is to be expected being an attending artist at a convention. They have to tattoo while keeping eyes on people trying to steal their art displays, stickers, books, videos..etc because most don't bring merch vendors due to already limited space.
Don't get me wrong, i will browse through, say hello to friends, speak briefly with those not busy, get a tattoo or two, buy more s&!t than I can carry, and see what everyone is doing but I don't lurk anyone's station.

Tags
business, conventionsrant, or rave, painting