Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 01-10-2008, 05:38 PM
Recruit

Question Tattoo Aftercare Help !!

I just got my first tattoo (which I love), but I am worried that I have already messed it up unintentionally. I got the tattoo done on Sunday (lower back, medium size, color) and have washed it with water and anti-bacteria hand soap, pat dry, then put on a thin layer of Aquaphore (like I was told to do), but now my tattoo is kind of sticky and bumpy/bubbly and some of the color has come off when it stuck to my cotton shirt. I’ve let it air dry as much as possible when I’m home. I stopped putting on the Aquaphore today because I read in the aftercare info that bubbly could mean that I was applying too much (yet I swear it was only the lightest coat.) I’m worried about it though. It’s looking kind of shifty to me. Is this normal healing or did I just ruin my beautiful tattoo within a matter of days? If so I’m very sad and would really like to know what I should do now to try and save it? Help please. Thanks.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:52 PM
Private

Default Re: Tattoo Aftercare Help !!

its hard to say exactly whays wrong with you new tattoo with out seeing it in person. the best thing to do is ask ur artist and not ur friends on healing.
but the tattoo healing that our shop recom. (cause everyone tells u something different) is the first three days use a thin layer of ointment A&D,Bacitracin,or neosporin, which your passed that. after 3 days switch to plain hand lotion for the next 2 weeks . i use keri (says NO FRAGRANCE) right on the front. with in 3 - 5 days the tattoo with peel and flake (like sun burn or look like fish food ) and it will peel in color the tattoo goes into the 2nd layer of skin and the first is peeling off. also no baths swiming in pool or salt water and direct sun light for atleast 2 weeks i would suggest to by some tea tree soap not the oil the soap (most nutri. stores carry it ) and use that in the shower and use a none fragrance hand lotion. till it clears up. but like i said in the begining is go see your artist and ask him or her . cause u really need to see it to diegnose the problem . hope this helps
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 01:53 PM
Corporal

After gently washing with soap and water you should give the tattoo at least ten to fifteen min. to really dry before applying the ointment,it sounds like alot of moisture may have been trapped underneath.Clothing and sheets will pull the ink out of a fresh tattoo quick,its always best to lightly bandage the tattoo for the first couple of days when going to bed.,try to wear loose clothing.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:07 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
After gently washing with soap and water you should give the tattoo at least ten to fifteen min. to really dry before applying the ointment,it sounds like alot of moisture may have been trapped underneath.Clothing and sheets will pull the ink out of a fresh tattoo quick,its always best to lightly bandage the tattoo for the first couple of days when going to bed.,try to wear loose clothing.
What would you bandage with? I read somewhere to wrap the tattoo in saran wrap for the first three to four days at night. I guess if you wrap it is gauze you may as well not wrap it at all.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:36 PM
Private

Talking Re: Tattoo Aftercare Help !!

saran wrap was designed for conventions. so people can still see the work that was done. i would never use saran wrap it doesn't allow the skin to breath therfore creating bacteria to fourm under the wrap . most places that use wrap tell u to take it off in like an hour. personaly i dont like saran wrap. we use non stick sterile pads with perf. holes on the side that touches the tattoo. they kinda look like the pads thats under the chicken that u get from the super market . there great there non stick and it soaks up the blood and ect.. so the mess is contained when they take the bandage off in the morning but thats just the way i was tought and the way it was done on me

Last edited by inkspotbrianNJ; 01-12-2008 at 04:39 PM..
Old 01-11-2008, 02:23 PM
Field Marshal

I wouldnt worry about it! sounds relatively resonable to me - and any shop worth a damn will touch it up for free for you if its their work!
Old 01-11-2008, 09:20 PM
Corporal

I always dry heal my tats.

The less you put on a tat, the more likely you wont react to anything, right ?

Wait a month or so, tattoos take a while to heal. (it s not because it looks healed that it actually is).

good luck
Old 01-12-2008, 11:16 AM
Corporal

Smile Re: Tattoo Aftercare Help !!

Yeah,some areas are a little tougher when healing than others,you will be fine after a little touchup,be careful,tattoos are addictive.
Old 01-12-2008, 08:19 PM
the cap'm
Corporal

chicken diaper for a few hours

soap, water, clean hands when touching it

leave it the f@#k alone. or if you can't stand to leave it the f@#k alone, put some lotion or some tattoo goo-type salve on it.

no picking and no homemade hemp bulls&!t (yes I live in the land of hippie)
Old 01-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Recruit

Thanks for the help. I think my tattoo is doing better now. It has begun to peel like a sunburn would (which I’ve been told is normal) and doesn't feel as overly sensitive. I just hope I didn’t mess up the color. I may have to get it touched up later on. Sigh.

Tags
aftercare, tattoo