Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 06-25-2010, 04:23 PM
Corporal

Default Re: Really stupid or completely amazing idea

okay, I just attemted this, just to be sure about everything. Using a scott sterling colorking, I loaded up a 7 mag and applied the rubber band with little tension as instructed. With no tension, the machine ran as normal. With a little tension, the machine did run faster, and slightly harder. As I increased the tension, the quicker and harder it ran. It pulls more amps, and over time will definitely create more wear on parts, namely the springs contacts and capacitor. It wasn't bad, and I can clearly see where you'd think this is creating a better running machine. It does show a noticeable difference.
However, this can and is being done with machines currently on the market. Springs will achieve the same results, provided they are bent and rolled properly given the geometry of the frame being used. An o-ring will do the same as well, but will require a couple more volts.
Try this out for me, if you will, take a grommet, cut it in half and using 2 sided tape, place it between your coils on the top of them. Make sure you leave room for your a bar to move, leave just enough grommet to sit just a couple hairs over your coil top. I mean SLIGHTLY.if you do this right, You will get the same results this way as well, but without the headaches of the rubberband and everything associated with that method. It'll last much longer as well.
Hope this helps, and once again, I can't stress that I'm not trying to break balls, just trying to show that these results are attainable from a multitude of approaches....

Last edited by -42-; 06-25-2010 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: carried experimetation further, had to add.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:46 PM
Your future ex-husband
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by -42- View Post
then why won't you listen to anyone here???

dude, I just looked at the work on that link of yours, and I must say that you don't have the slightest clue as to what it takes to make a good machine. Sloppy ass work all over that site. I'm not trying to knock you, but that work does have a direct relation to your knowledge of machine tuning and maintenance. Perhaps you should sit and listen a bit more. You say you know machines, and have a few books on the subject, but the proof lies completely in the work that is being done with said knowledge. That work isn't applied well at all. Hell, aren't you the same guy who claimed a "sad, sad day for lucky supply"? You based that completely on the looks of the machine because you thought it looked cheap and chinese. It's a f@#king mike wilson and eric inksmith machine!!!!!!! That unto itself holds enough water to question your knowledge.
I understand what you have said, but it all leads to the same place. The machine goes faster.......on the upstroke. The fulcrum point is at the opposite end of the rear spring providing a different kind of tension. Got it. IS THERE ANYTHING I'M MISSING HERE??!!!! Still, this can all be done with proper knowledge of machine tuning and a good set of springs. Do you honestly think an idea of this nature has never been attempted before? With all of the great machine builders out there, I assure you many variations of this have been done. The reason why all of these builders do things the way they do is because it is far more practical and reliable to achieve these results with the current machine parts list.

Now, what do you do if that rubber band moves in the process of work?? It's obviously going to change the way the machine runs. Do you just plan to keep re-adjusting it?? What about when it runs out of elasticity? Change it out? What kind of set up to you plan on using this with? What needle combo, what application? What are the results at any given voltage? Does it need a certain amount of power to run properly? Is it erratic? IS THERE AN EASIER WAY TO ACHIEVE THESE RESULTS??? seems like a whole lot of excess stuff to worry about and very unreliable. I'm not trying to sand bag your idea. I'm simply asking questions that apply to the practicality of this idea. If I had stumbled upon this, I would ask myself these questions.

Now, please don't take any of this as an attack on you, because it's not. I usually wouldn't question your work, but it does apply to this topic, so please don't get upset about that. All in all, I dig the creativity, but when breaking this down there are faaarrr too many negatives. You can answer these questions if you'd like, but please be precise when you do. So far, all you've done is throw out a vague "you don't get it" response. You say you wanna learn more about machines..........well you've got 2 ears and 1 mouth, which means you should listen twice as much as you talk........
I've never claimed i'm a highly experienced artist. I've been tattooing for only 2 years, and that was with a very flimsy apprenticeship. my work is still being fine tuned and build upon. And it's not my machines that affects my work, it's the amount of time i've been tattooing. I happily post a link to my work in order to take any criticism.

Now i understand shutting up and learning something, but when you tell me things like you can accomplish the same results by replacing the front spring, I feel like you don't have a solid grasp on machine tuning, or you have no grasp on what i'm saying. i bow down to your exp and talent. i've seen and admired your work. but that doesn't make you right, because ur portfolio is better then mine. You sound like you belong on inked nation with that attitude. I can also admit your right on the duty cycle end. i read it outta dano collins book and missunderstood how he stated it. i actually was just getting on here to admit that after asking dano personally when i realized it didn't seem right.

and If i'm not mistaken, the inksmith machine was referred to multiple times as tongue in cheek. So it's a throwback, joke machine in a sense? I'm a little young to know everything so i found it amusing. i wasn't the only one. Sorry to upset the nostalgic

p.s. i just read your last post that you posted while i was typing this, and it's actually the first response that actually seemed guided in the direction i was going for when posting this thread. atleast some exp. that makes sense and shows comprehension of what i'm saying.

I do what i want!!!

Last edited by carterink; 06-25-2010 at 05:48 PM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:56 PM
Your future ex-husband
Corporal

i just pmed u -42-. though my pm box doesn't show anything sent so i don't know if u got it

I do what i want!!!
Old 06-25-2010, 06:25 PM
Corporal

got it. pm'd back
Old 06-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterink View Post
I've never claimed i'm a highly experienced artist. I've been tattooing for only 2 years, and that was with a very flimsy apprenticeship. my work is still being fine tuned and build upon. And it's not my machines that affects my work, it's the amount of time i've been tattooing. I happily post a link to my work in order to take any criticism.

Now i understand shutting up and learning something, but when you tell me things like you can accomplish the same results by replacing the front spring, I feel like you don't have a solid grasp on machine tuning, or you have no grasp on what i'm saying. i bow down to your exp and talent. i've seen and admired your work. but that doesn't make you right, because ur portfolio is better then mine. You sound like you belong on inked nation with that attitude. I can also admit your right on the duty cycle end. i read it outta dano collins book and missunderstood how he stated it. i actually was just getting on here to admit that after asking dano personally when i realized it didn't seem right.

and If i'm not mistaken, the inksmith machine was referred to multiple times as tongue in cheek. So it's a throwback, joke machine in a sense? I'm a little young to know everything so i found it amusing. i wasn't the only one. Sorry to upset the nostalgic

p.s. i just read your last post that you posted while i was typing this, and it's actually the first response that actually seemed guided in the direction i was going for when posting this thread. atleast some exp. that makes sense and shows comprehension of what i'm saying.
this is the last I'm going to post on this, because I truly feel you don't grasp the fundamentals necessary to have this conversation. You're at 2 years after a flimsy apprenticeship? I've been there, it's not easy, at all. I will say that with better running machines, it will be much easier to achieve the work you are after. I understand that you haven't been doing this long, and there's nothing wrong with that, but quality running machines will make it much easier for you. Ask anyone putting in clean tattoos. As far as my portfolio being better than yours not making me right, I agree. However, one thing I've learned along the way is that if someones doing it better than you, then there's something they're comprehending that you're not. I can't tell you how much time I've spent with artist that run circles around me just to try and soak up more knowledge. Please don't take it as though I'm saying I'm better than you, so you should listen. To tell you the truth, I'm not really happy with any of my work thus far. I'm sure I'll get where I wanna be one day, but it's a long journey and I look forward to it. As far as the inked nation comment, never been there, never cared to. I believe you might be thinking tattoodles, and yes I'm there, but rarely will I speak out, because there are so many great artists there that I'd rather sit back and listen and learn. Like I said in my pm please check with some top rate builders and see what their thoughts are on the subject. Perhaps they can enlighten you more. I've seen this set up before, and I'll try to find you some pictures of it, though it may take me some time to find em.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:48 PM
Corporal

and finished.......
Old 06-25-2010, 09:40 PM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by carterink View Post
If i'm not mistaken, the inksmith machine was referred to multiple times as tongue in cheek. So it's a throwback, joke machine in a sense?
i specifically meant the engraving seemed tongue in cheek, thats all.
the machine itself is pretty serious.

cheers!
Old 06-25-2010, 10:50 PM
Your future ex-husband
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorblue View Post
i specifically meant the engraving seemed tongue in cheek, thats all.
the machine itself is pretty serious.

cheers!
i never said the machine wasn't serious. but the bling is a little over board

I do what i want!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:32 AM
Corporal

not at all!!!! that s&!t is dope as f@#k!!!! Tacky, absolutely, but everything will be tacky at some point or another. Remember when everyone hated the 80's? I never understood, but now look whats going on!!!! reminds me of my first spaulding and rogers. That b1tc4 still runs like a champ!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2010, 12:40 AM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

I still hate the 80s. The only good thing to ever come out of the 80s, was me.

Tags
amazing, completely, idea, stupid