Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 07-19-2010, 10:35 PM
Recruit

Default Re: HOW TO GET AN APPRENTICESHIP... (PLEASE STICKY THIS!)

Awesome post, I agree with so many of the above said points. In particular I second the suggestion of being willing to travel for your apprenticeship in an effort to find a good mentor and environment.

It might not even hurt to try to take notice of how other apprentices turned out after tutelage from any given mentor and speak with them if possible. I completely lucked out in regard to my apprenticeships (I went through two.... and to be honest I wouldn't be opposed to a third.....) having been exposed to both good habbits and decent enough work to lay a foundation for me to build upon, without really knowing what I should have been looking for in an apprenticeship at all. I can see this now clearly in only 1 year of working full time on clients and getting a fair idea of how other artists in my area work, and teach, erroneously.

I work in an area so saturated with artists who, in my humble and inexperienced opinion should NOT be considerred professional in any regard, its quite disturbing.... But what is even more disturbing then the fact that they are 10 years into some of their careers still doing things dangerously wrong by anyones standards, is the fact that they have apprentices!!

The long and the short of the point I am aiming to make is, don't settle for any artist who is simply willing to teach but one who also knows how to teach or has taught successfully. Its far too easy to go about learning this art with the best of intentions and be led horribly astray.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Private

I started my first apprenticeship in Hawaii in 2005, and like many of the shops I worked at there was issue between the owner(not an artist) and the artists. Mistake or not I followed the artist I was apprenticing for. 5 years and an additional "apprenticeship" later I still feel like I'm struggling to get/keep a foothold on being in a shop. I've worked in 5 shops including that first one, and I've learned a ton about business but far less about tattoing. Honestly I've been fired from two shops (not for being unsanitary mind you) which was a devastating setback, yet I'm ready to start up again. So to anyone who gets discouraged, don't, the only person who's going to keep you from your dream of being a success is you. I have to tell myself this all the time.

Oh and keep this post going people!

http://www.myspace.com/6318801/photo...2185797?page=1
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 11:09 AM
Field Marshal

Just stickied it late but sticky nonetheless hahahaa
Old 12-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDON BOND View Post
Just stickied it late but sticky nonetheless hahahaa
now if we all could have apprenticed at your shop...
Old 03-09-2011, 06:54 PM
Recruit

Great thread. I'm in a weird place myself as far as learning and apprenticing. I've had 3 so far, and the last was definately the best. Over all, I've had 3 years of 3 different shops and each had good and bad points. I've been in shops where no one can draw, and one where EVERYONE was amazing. I've learned every nuance I could from anyone willing to listen. I've been unemployed on and off (currently no "real" job) and everyday is spent learning, drawing or inking.
I have several things anyone wishing to learn should look into BEFORE they start hitting up shops. I found drawing a REAL boon. I have a long history myself, in everything from painting, to photography. You have to learn how to DRAW , but tracing can be helpful too. Don't freak out if you can't pull skulls out of your head. Spend some time TRACING comic books, books of flash and within months you will be amazed. I actually began to figure out "patterns" to roses this way.
There are lots of books and video's/dvd/s on what or how to begin. I suggest doing your homework. I never knew of The Whole Enchilada till this forum. And I'm not exactly green to the net. The dvd is amazing, but like pointed out before - only reinforces things you learn after you have been around a year or two ( around shops or tattoo pro's that is) . Go to Amazon and find the Huck Spaulding book, find some HISTORY of books. I've heard many kids under 25 say how they just want to tattoo, and don't know anything about hep c or clean routines. The VERY FIRST THING I DID was take a bloodpath course, and get a hardcopy of the local rules and regulations of tattooing in this state ( CA) from the local health board.
I researched machines and power supplies, first being lent my first set up from my first mentor. Since then, it's been a LONG haul to save up, sell and find deals to get the quality tools you need...and there are a LOT. I finally have most everything a pro shop has ( save autoclave and thermofax, and a proper chair) instead focusing on medical supplies , inks, and the like.
My point is, there is literally 3 years worth to learn BEFORE YOU EVER EVEN THINK ABOUT ASKING To Apprentice. I'm still looking for a proper shop to take me on, as I know it won't be much longer before things happen. I gave myself a 10 year window and I'm on year 3. I've been tattooed by several years worth of pro's - asking and learning while getting ink. I bought gifts ( like pencils and paper) or pizza's when I was in my 20's , and now that I'm in my 40's - I have a wealth of knowledge to refer back on. And I'm STILL LEARNING ! Books , late nights, early mornings, and severe carpal tunnel - i look forward to every second. Theres not a second, minute or day I don't think about tattooing or drawing ....and if you are the same, then you know.
It's not easy, nothing is - but I'll die doing this.
I'd love to get more involved in local shops here in San Diego, but I here a lot of tough going's on from others as far as job availibility. As someone who moved from Detroit to CA simply because I've lost so much ( job, house, belongings) - I know how tough it can be. But I'm sure something will happen.....it always does !
So owners serious about "the future" , it's right here in this thread.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:46 PM
Recruit

Im a beginner tattoo artist. Thanks for the words of advice for beginners it does help, Eventually I know i will get an apprenticeship but I do want to wait a little bit to know and sure of myself I can put all that time into it. Thanks again!
Old 04-21-2011, 09:57 PM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

This needs to be bumped back to the top of the recent threads.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:29 PM
Recruit

I have a question about apprenticeships and forgive me if it is ignorance on my part, but do a lot of artists charge for people to apprentice under them? I researched apprenticing at some local shops and one guy wants $5000 on top of equipment (others never bothered to give me any information). Is that cheap, common, expensive? I really don't know.

I'm a poor art student, so everything is expensive to me now.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:52 PM
Platoon Sargent

Yes most studios do charge and for $5k, that studio better be one of the best(tattoo quality wise) in the US, there are studios that do not charge, but in return you better be loyal and become a piece of furniture in that studio if you know what I mean, so that they know your serious, (some studios charge to see if you are serious as well), I think its utter BS to charge for an apprenticeship, because whether you pay or not, the outcome of the apprenticeship is up to you at the end of the day, you get out what you put in, best wishes in your travels bro....
Old 04-23-2011, 03:37 PM
Recruit

He's good, but definitely not one of the best. Doesn't treat his employees all that well either. I'm glad I was hesitant with him now.

It is something that will have to wait for a couple of years until I can move, but it is definitely something I really want to do and be good at.

Tags
apprentice, apprenticeship, sticky