Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > All or Nothing Pitbull Rescue > Pit Bull Rescue

Old 09-08-2008, 11:56 AM
Corporal

Default Seattle, WA-Pitbull Owners Gear Up To Fight BSL!

Photobucket

Grant M. Haller / P-I
Pit bulls and their owners and admirers gather at the Three Dog Bakery in Seattle last week to discuss breed-specific bans and to educate the public about the dog breed. Anti-pit bull activists in Seattle floated a package of proposals, including a breed ban, to City Councilman Tim Burgess earlier this year.
Pit bull owners gear up to fight breed ban
Group forms to bury proposal
By LEVI PULKKINEN
P-I REPORTER

Rumblings of a Seattle-wide ban on pit bulls have "bully breed" owners preparing for a political dogfight.
Anti-pit bull activists in Seattle floated a package of proposals, including a breed ban, to City Councilman Tim Burgess earlier this year. The council opted not to pursue the proposal for now, but the action has sparked an organizing effort by dog owners concerned that the city will move against the much-maligned breed.

West Seattle resident Colleen Lynne was one of those pushing the proposal, which would have forced pit bull owners to register their dogs and banned new pit bulls from the city. Similar bans have been enacted in other Western Washington cities, including Enumclaw, in an effort to reduce dog attacks.
Lynne said Burgess initially supported the idea, but decided in July not to pursue it because the council was divided on the issue and apprehensive about the controversy that would ensue.

"I got word that he'd talked to several council members," said Lynne, founder of Dogsbite. org. "He said, 'We just didn't get any bites. It's just not the right time."

Through an aide, Burgess declined to comment on the status of the proposal.

So-called bully breeds -- dogs drawing from breeds similar in appearance to the American pit bull terrier -- account for one-third of all dog bites reported in Seattle, including several severe attacks in recent years. Still, pit bull supporters say the breed has been unfairly targeted, arguing that owners, not their dogs, should be held responsible.

The City Council's lack of enthusiasm on the issue has done little to calm the nerves of Seattle pit bull owners, some of whom have been organizing as word of the proposal spread.

Responding to the effort, a handful of pit bull owners have created an interest group of their own, Families Against Breed Bans, and are sponsoring events aimed at defeating any future ban.
Leaflets in hand, Chelsey Reynolds, a member of Families Against Breed Bans, met recently with other pit bull owners during an ice cream social at Three Dog Bakery in Seattle.

Several dozen pit bull owners wandered through the downtown pet boutique, their muscular dogs sweetly approaching one another without the aggressiveness often associated with the breed. Reynolds' dog, a small female named Moka, lapped up the attention as her owner met with other attendees.
Dismissing the pro-ban organization Families & Dogs Against Fighting Breeds as "bogus," Reynolds pointed to a failed effort earlier this year to create a citizen initiative banning pit bulls from the city. Reynolds went on to say that Lynne and others are "trying to go around the voters" by pressuring the City Council to enact a ban.

Reynolds said attempts to demonize the pit bull are unfair to the breed, and too generous to negligent owners. Trained properly, the dogs can be safe, loving companions.

"The real problem is the owner, not the dog," said Reynolds, a Seattle resident.
Don Jordan, longtime director of the Seattle Animal Shelter, agreed, and said he doesn't believe a breed ban is warranted.

"We look at the deed, not the breed," Jordan said. "We get in some very massive, muscular dogs that have evidence of fighting. At the same time, we get some very sweet-hearted dogs."

A pit bull ban or other breed-specific legislation would mark a "significant change" in city policy, said Lisa Herbold, legislative aide to Councilman Nick Licata.

"The city has a history of opposing breed bans across the board," Herbold said. City code, she said, "specifically says that the breed of a dog should not be considered."

Herbold said she inquired about the push for a breed ban in July after rumors of Lynne's proposal spread. She said she's unaware of any related legislation currently before the council and that Licata hasn't been asked to consider the proposal.

Julie Russell, a spokeswoman for the anti-ban organization, said she and other members of the group have been told that the council isn't interested in banning pit bulls.

"They're telling us that they don't have an intention of implementing breed-specific legislation at the moment," Russell said. But, she added, she expects the issue might surface again next year and plans to continue organizing to block any move toward a ban.

The various breeds of pit bull now make up half of the shelter's dog population, Jordan said. Pit bulls, like Rottweilers and Doberman pinschers in the 1990s, are currently the trendy large dog breeds in the city.

That popularity and the breed's large size have led to an increase in the number of pit bull bites reported, Jordan said.

But Lynne said she doesn't buy the claim that pit bulls, like the dog that attacked her near her Seattle home last year, simply are misunderstood.

Lynne said she spent two days at Harborview Medical Center after being attacked by a leashed pit bull on June 17, 2007.

"I didn't know it was an attack until I was on the ground," Lynne said. "He got my arm, and he broke it, and he dragged me across the concrete. ... My whole life changed afterwards."

In addition to the ban, Lynne and a small group of other Seattle residents advocate mandatory sterilization of pit bulls in the city.

They've also asked that owners be required to carry liability insurance for their dogs and that the state prohibit felons from owning pit bulls.

Lynne said she's been surprised by the vitriolic response from pit bull owners.

"I deal with very radical people, and I'm constantly harassed," she said. "The pit bull special interest groups are going to go after anybody they can."

Lynne said that ban advocates are examining their options and that she hopes to reintroduce an initiative.

P-I reporter Levi Pulkkinen can be reached at 206-448-8348 or levipulkkinen@seattlepi.com.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 03:38 AM
Corporal

Default Re: Seattle, WA-Pitbull Owners Gear Up To Fight BSL!

"The dangerous animal is the one on the other end of the leash." -Brandon Bond

http://www.myspace.com/curedusk
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote

Tags
bsl, fight, gear, owners, seattle, wapitbull