Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 05-16-2009, 11:20 AM
Angel of Death
Corporal

Default Reputable artists here! Question for ya!!!

Okay, I have really wondered about this for some time!

Do all the shows like Miami Ink, LA Ink, London Ink, and whatever have a responsiblility to make it known that if you want to be a tattoo artist you should serve a formal apprenticeship?

Or is this something the artists in these shows should have touched on A LOT while they were being filmed so that some of it actually made into the show???

I almost want to say should there have been a disclaimer type statement; as i have heard a lot of tattooers talk about these shows as helping to create a culture of scratchers.

I am just curious as to what peoples thoughts are!

Bunny
Tattooed Sweethearts
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 11:36 AM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

Default Re: Reputable artists here! Question for ya!!!

I have been wondering that too. Ever since the discussion in the red thread started. I would think it has the same affect on scratchers that YouTube has had on suburban white kids with webcams. A bad one.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Corporal

My opinion on these shows?

Firstly, they have had a positive effect on our industry, in that more and more people have become interested in getting a tattoo, so there is a current boom in tattooing, maybe more tattoo shows will bring an even more positive outlook on people who do and/or have tattoos as well, or more recognition to people in our industry that do more than just tattooing, guys like Brandon Bond, who aside from the tattooing, and fine art, give a lot to charity, like the dog rescues etc.

Secondly, these shows werent designed FOR entertaining tattoo artists, they were designed for your everyday Joe Public, so a lot of people in this industry have some gripes.

They never discuss price, so ive noticed most people have no clue that a huge custom drawn piece/sleeve will cost real $...or take some time to put together...

They never show the studio packed asshole to elbow with people, this tells me the show is set up and filmed on a day when the studio is closed to the general public, this confuses customers, when we are busy they want thier tattoo NOW, not later...

They never show the hours and hours of drawing the design, they show the people come in, talk about it, then a brief scene of someone drawing, then commercial break and its done....not reality

lastly, they dont show the 8-12+ hours a full sleeve may take, on the show its all done in like 30 minutes or less, so ive noticed most people dont have the slightest clue that thier tattoo is going to take HOURS, or MULTIPLE SITTINGS to complete.....

This is from an inside the industry point of view, from the outside though, overall, id say it has had a VERY positive effect on the industry itself, via the viewing public.

More people are getting tattooed now than ever before, its has become more socially acceptable to be tattooed. The sterotypes for tattooed people, the lines are becoming more blurred, year after year, which is a good thing...i beleive it goes back to one of my favorite quotes " The only difference between a tattooed person and a person without tattoos, is that the tattooed person doesnt care whether or not your tattooed. "

As for the seedy underbelly{scratchers} of this industry, there will always be those types, the best we can do as professionals is try to exude that attitude to our customers and educate them as best we can, so that they are empowered with the knowledge to know the difference, between a scratcher and a professional tattoo artist, to know the difference, between a good tattoo, and a bad one, and to also try to impart to them how important it is to get thier tattoos in a clean, clinical environment.

WHEW!, thats a lot of typin :P
Old 05-24-2009, 11:19 AM
MagicOPromotion

Default Reputable artists here Question for ya

Hello all, Im new to Linux and Ive selected Linux Mint to be my distro

My question is: Can I update my Linux Mint 5.0 to Mint 6.0 when it get released without heaving to uninstall the old version and install the new one?

sorry for bad english
Old 05-24-2009, 01:37 PM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

Thumbs down Re: Reputable artists here Question for ya

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicOPromotion View Post
Hello all, Im new to Linux and Ive selected Linux Mint to be my distro

My question is: Can I update my Linux Mint 5.0 to Mint 6.0 when it get released without heaving to uninstall the old version and install the new one?

sorry for bad english
That's your question, eh? That's good to know.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:42 PM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunny View Post
Okay, I have really wondered about this for some time!

Do all the shows like Miami Ink, LA Ink, London Ink, and whatever have a responsiblility to make it known that if you want to be a tattoo artist you should serve a formal apprenticeship?

Or is this something the artists in these shows should have touched on A LOT while they were being filmed so that some of it actually made into the show???

I almost want to say should there have been a disclaimer type statement; as i have heard a lot of tattooers talk about these shows as helping to create a culture of scratchers.

I am just curious as to what peoples thoughts are!

Bunny

Hell most shows have disclaimers if they are worth watching.

Perhaps something along the lines of

"this show exhibits professional tattooing, please do not try this at home without the guidance of an apprenticeship and/or professional mentor, we at tlc dont neccesarily agree with these jackasses, we just want to make a buck like everyone else, these artists were trained for years, you cant just buy some s&!t on ebay and expect to get your own show... etc etc etc"
Old 05-24-2009, 07:45 PM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarT View Post
My opinion on these shows?

Firstly, they have had a positive effect on our industry, in that more and more people have become interested in getting a tattoo, so there is a current boom in tattooing, maybe more tattoo shows will bring an even more positive outlook on people who do and/or have tattoos as well, or more recognition to people in our industry that do more than just tattooing, guys like Brandon Bond, who aside from the tattooing, and fine art, give a lot to charity, like the dog rescues etc.

Secondly, these shows werent designed FOR entertaining tattoo artists, they were designed for your everyday Joe Public, so a lot of people in this industry have some gripes.

They never discuss price, so ive noticed most people have no clue that a huge custom drawn piece/sleeve will cost real $...or take some time to put together...

They never show the studio packed asshole to elbow with people, this tells me the show is set up and filmed on a day when the studio is closed to the general public, this confuses customers, when we are busy they want thier tattoo NOW, not later...

They never show the hours and hours of drawing the design, they show the people come in, talk about it, then a brief scene of someone drawing, then commercial break and its done....not reality

lastly, they dont show the 8-12+ hours a full sleeve may take, on the show its all done in like 30 minutes or less, so ive noticed most people dont have the slightest clue that thier tattoo is going to take HOURS, or MULTIPLE SITTINGS to complete.....

This is from an inside the industry point of view, from the outside though, overall, id say it has had a VERY positive effect on the industry itself, via the viewing public.

More people are getting tattooed now than ever before, its has become more socially acceptable to be tattooed. The sterotypes for tattooed people, the lines are becoming more blurred, year after year, which is a good thing...i beleive it goes back to one of my favorite quotes " The only difference between a tattooed person and a person without tattoos, is that the tattooed person doesnt care whether or not your tattooed. "

As for the seedy underbelly{scratchers} of this industry, there will always be those types, the best we can do as professionals is try to exude that attitude to our customers and educate them as best we can, so that they are empowered with the knowledge to know the difference, between a scratcher and a professional tattoo artist, to know the difference, between a good tattoo, and a bad one, and to also try to impart to them how important it is to get thier tattoos in a clean, clinical environment.

WHEW!, thats a lot of typin :P
i think a lot of these concerns would be eradicated if, on a whole the tattoo community were able to police itself and be responsible. if shops didnt try and undercut, or use cheap equipment, or spread rumors, or run retarded 20 dollar specials...a lot of these people would be schooled because it would be an industry standard for tattoos to require appointments, deposits, minimums, etc. unfortunately, thats an Utopian idea that i have had to come to terms with either conforming...which isnt an option...or sticking to the standards i have...and only dealing with clientele that understand it.

no i cant tattoo you right now.... for 20 bucks.
Old 05-24-2009, 07:46 PM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinywhitecrosses View Post
to answer this question forraeals, the answer to that question can be found on the pages of the all or nothing tattoo forum.
ps. IM BACK WITH A VENGEANCE BIDGES!

Tags
artists, question, reputable