Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > General Discussion

Old 04-26-2007, 12:15 PM
Platoon Sargent

Default Interview Questions from Tattoo Spirit Answered.

Here is an interview I just answered for a German Magazine called Tattoo Spirit, hope you guys enjoy. They had some awesome questions.

1. The longer I looked at your works, the more I realized that many of
your tattoos handle not only with live and death, but also with
religious scenes and after I read on your homepage, that you've been a
preacher, some things got clearer to me. So, wow, that must have been
an interesting journey from preacher to tattoo-artist?

It's funny, because sometimes they really aren't that much different. People are always amazed and I think it's because of the dichotomy that they create of "good" preacher man and "bad boy" tattooer. I'm really not the typical tattooer. I don't drink, smoke or do drugs. I could care less about partying and living that life. I love art and life and that's something I try to reflect in my tattoos. Carravagio is my number one inspiration. I want to create art that causes people to react and feel something, anything. That feeling could range from love to horror, lust to disgust, I just want them to feel. To me that is what art is, reminding ourselves we are alive with feeling. That was why I was involved with religion when I was younger, to make people feel. To remind them that they are alive. Now I do that on a different level that I feel is outside of religion. Art is now my "religion" if you will.

2. You are one of those guys that many people think of, like; "Hey, he
must be a professional for a minimum of 10 or 15 years, or so." And
after someone is told that you started tattooing 2003, it's really hard
to believe, that there is once again someone, who managed to get out
all of is talent in such a small periode of time. So is AON some kind
of Talent-Factory, some kind of magic going on here?

I'm lucky to have come as far as I have, but I still have a long way to go. I was very fortunate to come into All or Nothing early in my career. I have learned more than I can imagine. Brandon Bond took me under his wing and taught me about tattooing, from the art to application to the business. I will always be grateful to him for everything he has done for me. I was also fortunate to learn from Joshua Carlton early on in my career too, while he was here. He had an influence that will always be a part of my work. The list goes on from Zeke Owens, to Justin Weatherholtz to Nate Beavers. I have been extremely fortunate to have those people around me. Now the current crew here has given me new inspiration and taken my work to a different level. I share a booth with my close friend Josh Woods. It's like a constant creativity melting pot. That feeling you get when your artistically inspired, I get that 24 hours a day. He is also constantly motivating me to keep my career on track, to get somewhere. I''m lucky to have the friends here that I do. Tim McGrath got me excited about producing art again. He creates images and ideas I've never seen and makes me feel like we're in a creative renaissance. When he and I sit and draw together, my mind never stops turning and I feel like there is always something new to be created. All of the artists here at All or Nothing, from Dave Tedder, to Brian Reynolds and everyone in between have taught me. With all those teachers, I would hope that me as a student would be getting somewhere. I still have a long way to go, but I can't wait to see what new things I'll learn and who from.

3. From your point of view - how does tattooing changed you live?

Tattooing has given me freedom. I have "live free" tattooed on my knuckles. That is my passion, to live life and live it too the fullest. This job gives me that chance. There are no other jobs where you can travel, see the world, and constantly create art. On that same note, stress is definitely a huge factor and has gotten to me on several occasions. I have had breakdowns, but I've learned from them and learned that this is the only life for me. I can't wait until the day that I can be tattooing on an island in Greece over looking the water. That's the ultimate goal.

4. Bright colour tones and smooth shadings. We can find them in almost
every of your tattoos and it seems that you love to play with different
lightstyles. Do you use all of them to get you very own style of
tattooing? Out of wich components is a real Sean Herman tattoo made?

Wow, it's really awesome to see people recognize different things that are constant in my work. Thank you. I would definitely say that my color schemes and light sources are probably a huge factor to create what I do. With my art I want to create drama and emotion. I used to do theatre when I was younger and loved how the lighting and makeup created a feeling without the actor even saying a word. I remember sitting in a round watching a play one night and being so overwhelmed by the environment and world they had created just with the lightening and makeup. I was lost in it, it became my world. When the play was over, and we all got up to leave, it was like being thrown out of something and realizing it wasn't real. That's what I want to create with my art. More than just a subject, more than just one tattoo, but an environment, a new world for people to get lost in. That's why I use the color schemes, the tones, and the light sources. They are the constant in the world I'm building in my head.

5. One of my questions that burns right under my fingernails more than
everything else: Even your tattoos that handle death and pain are not
that shocking or ugly (so, not like the Paul Booth stuff, hope you
understand what I mean)) and even those pictures have that kind of
beauty, wether it is in someones lovely eyes, a little smile or even a
romantic expression. Is this the way you see the world, your
interpretation and do you think there allways sleeps some beauty in
every evil?

Again, thank you for noticing the details I put into my work. You guys are amazing. I love the idea of duality. The idea in religion that Lucifer was the "Angel of light". I don't believe in "black and white". Life is lovely shades of grey, and I love to bring those out. What is good, what is evil? In my art I want to create a world where the two are so interchangeable that they don't really exist in the end. I think beauty wins over all of it. It's the constant, and it's what I want to show throughout everything. I want to show the beauty of that menacing looking woman, or even in something as abnormal as the undead.

6. From very small tattoos up to large back pieces, you offer
everything. For you, personally, what kind of sizes make the most fun?

You know, the main thing that makes a tattoo fun for me is the client. I love clients that are overwhelmed and in love with what I have done on them. If I know that every-time they look at it they are gonna feel connected to it and thankful to have it, that makes my day, no matter what size the tattoo is.

7. Collaboration tattoos seem to be a very normal way to work at AON.
In Europe it is nearly unknown. "Hey look, the first customer this
morning, come on, let's have a threesome!" Ok, that might not be the
way these collaboration tattoos develop. So, how do those artworks come
to live?

Usually for me it happens from talking to the artist I'm collaborating with. I tend to do a lot of them with my friend Josh Woods. He and I will have a concept that we both are into and feel like each one could bring something out of it. We are lucky because the clients are usually easy to find who want a piece like that. Sometimes though, it will be the client who wants the collaboration to happen. They will actively seek each artist out because they like how one does one thing and the other does another, and they feel like they would compliment each other. The funny thing is that usually I take my sketches to different artists throughout the shop to get their opinions on what they would change or how they would do something. So technically all of my pieces are collaborations with the artists that I work with.

8. One question I have asked your friend Brandon too, some time ago: If
you are only allowed to make one more tattoo in your whole life, what
would it be?

Wow, that's a good question. One tattoo? Well, if it's only one, it would have to be big. I would want it to be something that looks very emotional and dark. Definitely a human figure, probably female ( I love the ladies). It would probably show an overcoming struggle of sorts. So I guess it would be a woman coming out of the dark and kicking ass. An idea of overcoming all obstacles, and then take it to mythic proportions.

9.**We often hear that beeing a tattoo-artist has nothing in common
with a normal job, but a special attitude in life. We always read about
the passion that is necessary to become a real artist., that there is
no easy way and that it's covered with lots of missings and
renouncement. For you, what was the most difficult thing in your career
and what was the most beautyfull one?

This is actually something I'm dealing with a lot right now. My career can be extremely stressful. Between a insanely busy schedule, internet work, answering and writing articles, and outside projects (t-shirts, prints, etc.) I barely have time to breathe. I've definitely sacrificed everything in my life for this career. I've lost it all, and gained it all, but it's the only career I would want. It's a crazy duality, because just as difficult and stressful it can be, there is nothing more fulfilling than when a client stands up to look at the piece of art that you have put on them and they get emotional over it. When a client is in love with piece so much that they are in tears, that is the most beautiful thing I can imagine. I did a portrait on a client of his brother who passed away a few months before. The only pictures they had were small and blurry, but it was all they had, so I worked with it. It was a hard tattoo, a color portrait off of a blurry small picture. When we finished he stood up and took a look at it. He was quiet, and I couldn't see his face in the mirror. When he turned around to look at me, there were tears in his eyes. He said, "it looks just like him, thank you, its perfect". That is why I tattoo, to have the opportunity to add something to someone's life that will always stay with them and remind them of something beautiful.

10. Finally. You are a member of AON and I really hope you have some
influences in your colleagues like Brandon, Dave, Josh and everyone
else from the great team. With my most important question I waited till
the end: You have a lot of fans here in Germany, so when will AON gets
it's stuff together and takes a trip to Europe? What are you waiting
for?

If it was up to me, I'd be in Europe today. The history and the environment in general is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen. I've wanted to go there since I was in college. Josh Woods and I are actually in the process of trying to work out a European tour for next year. My friend Jo Harrison tattoos out there, and we want to go visit her and other friend of ours. Personally, that's where I'd want to end up. So if I go out there, I might not come back.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 12:58 PM
Field Marshal

Default Re: Interview Questions from Tattoo Spirit Answered.

I love you sean. Im extremely proud of you, I know about your sacrafice more than anyone, but you did it right and now your exactly 15 light years ahead of where I was at your age....

congrats.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 07:43 PM
sock rocker
Corporal

I have loved your work for a while now but getting to know a bit more about you....thats pretty cool.......I cant wait to have you work on me in Jax.
Old 04-27-2007, 09:05 AM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Great interview Sean. Your an amazing artist and person!

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.vickdogmovie.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Old 04-27-2007, 12:31 PM
Web Sensei
Corporal

That is truly a fantastic article.

When I was up there getting my zombie on my leg (technically a zombie of Josh), the way that you two bounced ideas off each other and seemed to drive the others creative process further and further was awe inspiring.

I'm finally seeing more and more that everyone at AoN are really artists first, and tattooers second.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:03 PM
senior citizen member
Corporal

great article sean...congrats!!!......i repiled yesterday...and today *poof* its gone so i'll say it again....congrats on that one
Old 04-27-2007, 10:31 PM
Corporal

Great Interview Sean. I really do love the contrast and subtleties in your work. That is why I am looking forward to our appointment in a little over a week. Keep on laying the killer ink and we will keep bringing the flesh.

Matt
Old 04-30-2007, 11:36 AM
Field Marshal

all hail sean herman
Old 04-30-2007, 01:57 PM
CEO, Reese Cup Corp
Field Marshal

"I don't believe in "black and white". Life is lovely shades of grey"

TRUTH!!!!

Christopher McCandless
Old 05-02-2007, 09:29 AM
Platoon Sargent

Sean.

I had the pleasure of meeting you this last weekend (I was the guy getting that wicked demon on my chest and the sleeve with Dave).

I am not an ass kisser by any means, but it was one of the highlights of my trip to shake your hand. I have been inspired by your work for quite some time now, and I always feel that when you meet a person, shake their hand, and look them in the eye you can really get a human understanding of who they are.

Your work inspires me, but it was this quote that really made me realize how similar our internal philosophies are:

Quote:
I want to create art that causes people to react and feel something, anything. That feeling could range from love to horror, lust to disgust, I just want them to feel.
Your work does exactly what you say you want to accomplish....so I congratulate you in being able to make your goals/dreams a reality for so many people.

When I was there....you did a small piece on this girl that just walked into the studio. I remember walking up to the front and talking with her while Dave was doing a piercing, she had no idea who you were....and I told her that having any of your work was an honor. She took it seriously, and I saw a realization on her face that she had come to the right place and the right person.

You inspire a lot of people on both sides of the chair and I just wanted to take this moment to say that I am one of those people.

Best Wishes.

Chris.

http://www.inkednation.com/parabellum9x19

Tags
answered, interview, questions, spirit, tattoo