Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 12-18-2008, 07:13 AM
Private

Default Re: All this color/ink talk....

Good Color Samples , The blue flies in and the yellow is bright!!
I'll use them!!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 06:24 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
I use some national pre dispersed and dry stuff.....How come no one talks of this? I use it because some of the best work i saw 15 years ago was done with it and it still looks hot...i have some red, blue,white, and yellow....tell me why i shouldn't use this.

also, i use other national stuff....wish they would update thier site tho.

holla.

LOS
National pigments fall apart over time. The purples turn grey, the reds turn pink, the oranges turn yellow. I started with nationals, and went to a shop where we weren't allowed to use any other kind of pigment. Have you ever used any other pigments? If so have you done any side by sides? I used to like them but saw the diferences both fresh and in the long run. If you like the thinner stuff there's a ton of great pre disperced pigment out there. I'm in love with starbrite and eternal right now, I used to use waverly but that's a super thick pigment, anyways just some feed back for you let me know
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Private

I've made the mix a little thinner these days. Still a great pigment load but easier to work.
The old-guy recipe for mixing colors is no big secret- The one I use is the same one Paul Rogers, and Mike Malone used- among others.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:44 PM
Field Marshal

i notice a lot of the predispersed stuff looks great flying IN the skin, but just not saturated enough after a heal. its still in there, and you can see its solid...but, my experiences, even with starbrite for example, are that it looks great going in, and after its healed it doesnt look quite as saturated...however ive noticed with some of the older powdered inks i used...initially it took a little bit to get my groove back, but they look much richer over the long haul.

Last edited by conorblue; 12-19-2008 at 10:47 PM..
Old 01-01-2009, 12:26 PM
LBT

yeah I second the national issues.....normally when ever the pigment looks bad it was national...we have a local shop who uses it and we can always tell where they got it done because in 2 months it looks 10 years old!
Old 01-01-2009, 01:54 PM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by waverly View Post
I've made the mix a little thinner these days. Still a great pigment load but easier to work.
The old-guy recipe for mixing colors is no big secret- The one I use is the same one Paul Rogers, and Mike Malone used- among others.
i have a pretty fast hand speed, and i have absolutely no problem getting your inks to FLY right in. they look amazingly more saturated than the pre disperse colors Ive used for years. i recommend your colors to everyone, for real.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:42 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorblue View Post
i have a pretty fast hand speed, and i have absolutely no problem getting your inks to FLY right in. they look amazingly more saturated than the pre disperse colors Ive used for years. i recommend your colors to everyone, for real.
Just so you know I'm not trashing waverly at all I really liked them, but it took me a little bit longer to get them in, I have a pretty fast hand but my machines aren't set up for powder pigment and I found I had to be there for longer than I want to be in one spot
Old 01-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Corporal

Waverly is a staple of my pallet

i have stable in me looks great still...
Old 01-01-2009, 08:04 PM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kollin View Post
Just so you know I'm not trashing waverly at all I really liked them, but it took me a little bit longer to get them in, I have a pretty fast hand but my machines aren't set up for powder pigment and I found I had to be there for longer than I want to be in one spot
i got a good long stroke on most my machines, stiffer springs. you?
Old 01-05-2009, 06:07 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorblue View Post
i got a good long stroke on most my machines, stiffer springs. you?
super long throw, soft spring tension, if you look at my work you can tell I'm back and forth so much, so I try not to be a d**k to my clients. I use a medium spring tension on my b&g because once I'm in I'm out, I'll post some of my new work with my new Paco Rollins machine. Makes a world of difference. I just found that Waverly is best used with a stiffer tension, half to long stroke and higher d.c. and speed than what I like for my tattoo technique. Waverly is an awesome pigment for sure just not for this guy anymore. Eternal and starbrite, those are the ones I come back to and I've never noticed not even in nine years of tattooing starbrite falling out or fading. I think pigments are like artists, everyone is different and one thing doesn't work for the other guy.

Tags
color or ink, talk