Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 11-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Private

Default Tattoo School - My Bad Experience

This thread is meant specifically for people enrolled in, or thinking of enrolling as a student at the http://www.tattoobodypiercinginstitute.com

For those who haven't figured it out yet, this "school" is a complete scam. It should seem obvious, I know but I think it's important to get the word out.

Here are a few facts you should know:

Their apprenticeship papers: These papers in no way make it legal for you to tattoo. You would have to be working in a shop and under a mentor (in person, not over the net) for these papers to be legal. Don't buy into it.

The graduation certificates: These certificates mean nothing. Most shops would laugh at you if you showed them these papers.

The 25 required tattoos: The intention of the required 25 tattoos in to get your certificate (which, again, means nothing) and to build a portfolio. Chances are slim that this "portfolio" will help you get into a shop once your illegal "apprenticship" is finished. Shops don't want to see a portfolio filled with tattoos you did out of your house. And you will have no shop references. You will be seen as a scratcher to most shops.

The "people" who run the site: The man's name on the apprenticeship papers, your supposed mentor and coach, George Hartwig, is not only non-existant on the site but also does not tattoo professionally. His wife, Denise Richardson, who runs the site, has no qualifications at all except for running a really sloppy, confusing and disorganized website.

What you are paying them for: You are paying them to basically draw up illegal and useless papers for you and for compiling really outdated instructional information that you can find cheaper elsewhere. You can also find much better and more relevent info than what they offer.

The supplies: Again, you are basically paying them to order supplies for you. They sell all of the same kits on http://www.unimaxsupply.com for MUCH cheaper. The same exact kits.

If that isn't enough, they have a really poor website, an "e-learning center" that isn't up yet and the testing that is available doesn't allow you to print the step up certificates. This has lead to much confusion and a lot of student questions. But they all go unanswered.

They are infamous for unreturned emails and phone call and scheduling chats that they don't show up for or cancel at the last minute. There is also a message board that they have no problem deleting complaints from but refuse to take the time to answer the questions posted.

This is all in spite of their site boasting their special training qualifications and that you will recieve unlimited live technical support and be in close contact with your coaches.

They also have several complaints filed with the BBB.

I advise caution to anyone who is in their "pay as you go" training not to give thim one more cent of your money. Look at all of these red flags. Why should these people be paid upwards of $2000.00 of your money?

The thing that bothers me is that many people enroll in their program very naively but with the intention of doing things the right way. For the money they cost and the promices they make, it may lead some people to believe that this is a legitimate way to learn and not with the intention of taking a short cut.

This is where I was at 10 months ago. I stupidly fell for it. And for all of my hard work and studying and moving forward without their help, I am still not taken seriously. And you won't be either unless you are in a shop, in spite of your dedication or your original intentions.

Anyway, I thought it was important to get the word out because I think a lot of people secretly want to learn about these schools but ultimately end up regretting it and being ashamed to admit their naivity.

I was f@#ked out of a lot of money. I don't want to see this happen to others and I don't want to see http://www.tattoobodypiercinginstitute make a single penny. They should be shut down.

If you read this far, thanks.
Gina
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:20 AM
Corporal

Default Re: Tattoo School - My Bad Experience

Their course goes against most states tattoo laws.

- NO person shall tattoo a human without the supervision of a MD
- NO person shall tattoo in an environment brought to code
- NO person shall tattoo without the physical supervision of a coach.
- NO Person shall tattoo before obtaining a State and county license.
- NO person shall tattoo without certification for BBP, CC, CPR
- And the most important "without knowing what they are doing"!!

These are just a few clauses I remember from the top of my head when I created the Tattoo Laws thread ( http://www.tattooconnect.com/forum/f...splay.php?f=81 ).

All the victims should file a complaint under http://www.ripoffreport.com
I hope these cools get brought down to justice.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:25 PM
Field Marshal

schools are BS - the only way to do it right is to do an apprenticeship!!!!!! preferably under an established well known respected shop...

hint hint
Old 11-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Private

Yeah, I had to learn the hard way but I know that now. I wish I had the artistic chops (on paper) to obtain such an apprenticeship. It's something I'm struggling with though, I'm afraid.

But damn, that would be a dream come true.
Old 11-03-2007, 07:12 PM
Corporal

Apprenticeship is the best way to go. But check out Steve Morris work, he learned on his own. Now...does everyone out there can overcome that quality of work? NO.

At a shop not only you learn how to tattoo but firstly you learn what NOT to do.
Trying to achieve skills without an apprenticeship is prone to leave a nasty aftermath since your clients are the lab rats of your experimentation.

Your work keeps improving day by day and you are far from being called a scratcher.

Last edited by FallenKing; 11-03-2007 at 07:15 PM..
Old 11-04-2007, 05:45 PM
Field Marshal

call the shop fool! we take on new folks all the time - two of our guys are on tour NOW - John Lloyd and Matt Dunlap - on OUR reference.

f@#k a tattoo school man... f@#k a tattoo school
Old 11-05-2007, 09:22 AM
Needs Church
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDON BOND View Post
schools are BS - the only way to do it right is to do an apprenticeship!!!!!! preferably under an established well known respected shop...

hint hint
Where do I sign up ?
I would start my apprenticeship all over again for AoN. *cough*if the wife would be up for it*cough*
LOL! J/K
... ( y )
Old 11-05-2007, 10:11 AM
Field Marshal

tell her to do the dishes and shut up
Old 11-05-2007, 11:21 AM
Needs Church
Field Marshal

LOL !
That's funny !
If it wasn't for my son and daughter,.I would.
... ( y )
Old 11-05-2007, 11:41 AM
Field Marshal

hahahha

Tags
bad, experience, school, tattoo