Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 06-01-2010, 03:03 PM
Private

Default Making your own needles?

So my mentor once told me he was going to show me how to make my own needles, but we have been really slammed this year and he now also works a daytime job outside the shop.

I have heard some different opinions on this topic but wanted to throw it to a larger field of people. Is it really that much better to make your own needles or important to know?

I am curious so I should know if I should persue it or just not worry, to me personally it would be cool to know how to do, but pre-made needles that come seem to work just fine and is our main staple at the shop.

Thanks
Old 06-01-2010, 03:31 PM
Corporal

Default Re: Making your own needles?

I think its a great thing to know. When you build your own you know what your using.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:40 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiwommi View Post
I think its a great thing to know. When you build your own you know what your using.
I would hope that regardless of making your own needles or not that you do know what you are using and why, I sooo hope no one uses a 11 Mag for line work. LOL

Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:52 PM
Corporal

No, lol, What I was meaning was that with so many different types of loose needle out there, you can really get a wide variety of stuff. Check out a nationals catalog, they sell lots of different types of loose needles. I don't use alot of different types of needles, but it's cool to try it out hands on.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:57 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiwommi View Post
No, lol, What I was meaning was that with so many different types of loose needle out there, you can really get a wide variety of stuff. Check out a nationals catalog, they sell lots of different types of loose needles. I don't use alot of different types of needles, but it's cool to try it out hands on.
Oh der my bad, you mean like the different types of tips and materials the needles are made from and the bars as well.

Got cha, sorry mental lapse in the bone cavity called my cranium.
Old 06-01-2010, 04:04 PM
Scott Barriger
Corporal

i was taught how to make needles, it sucks. long, tedious, boring, hours of work that could have been spent tattooing. its not wasted knowledge i guess, if i were in a bind and had to make up some it wouldnt be a big deal, but honestly buying premades was like finding the holy grail to me. expense wise, its not much different.
Old 06-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Field Marshal

it used to be considerably cheaper to make em, now not so much. i think its valuable to know though, ive actually fixed some needles i have been sent instead of just tossing em because of knowing how to make them...

good for small batch of sizes you might not use often....but really that time can be better spent.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:57 AM
Private

I love making needles. One of the few things my mentor actually taught me. I dont use an autoclave now so don't make my own anymore, but I did like it when I did and really took pride in them
Old 06-04-2010, 01:26 PM
Private

I made many needles the first few months of my apprenticeship, it's f*cking tedious, but I suppose it's a "right of passage" of sorts. I feel if you're using them, you should know how the make them.
Old 06-04-2010, 01:37 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCarino View Post
it's f*cking tedious, but I suppose it's a "right of passage" of sorts. I feel if you're using them, you should know how the make them.

That's pretty much how I feel about it, It's cool to know but slow.

Tags
making, needles