Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 11-15-2009, 11:13 PM
Recruit

Default Practice Skins

Anyone know what is good practice skin is to use, it seems the ones I've been using don't hold color. I have to go over and over the color and end up chewing up the skin. Could I have my machine set to high or something.
Please don't tell me to get a apprenticeship somewhere, I've tried but when you live in the middle of nowhere with no close shops you do what you gotta do. At least I'm not practicing on people.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 11:49 PM
Platoon Sargent

Default Re: Practice Skins

If you live in the middle of nowhere then how do you expect to tattoo anyhow?

If you want a career in the industry, move to at least a decent sized town. If you can't take that leap then it's probably not going to work out well for you.
Old 11-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Recruit

I just wanted to know what a good skin was to practice on. I don't mean to sound like an asshole or nothing but everyone says the same thing on these forums, get an apprenticeship. It seems like people in Southern West Virginia are afraid to teach, I guess they are afraid of someone stealing their business or something. Believe me I'm gone from this hell hole as soon as possiable. Are you hiring...LOL
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 12:41 AM
Platoon Sargent

Honestly, I doubt many people here have even used practice skins. You have to practice on human skin, preferably under supervision of someone who knows what they're doing.

My advice is if you want to know about things like practice skins, find an ICP board. Those people know what's up.
Old 11-16-2009, 01:01 AM
Private

Ok this really does not have to do with practice skins I have a girl working for me she apprenticed under me and was rushed into tattooing because of my premature baby's arrival. She has talent but has developed quite a large head. She continually f@#ks up by not taking turns with other artists paperworkincorrect not being reliable sceduling appt while shop is closed without approval etc...She has gone so far as to talk trash about how tattooers all like metal and punk music and are either alcholics and or drug addicts and just doesn't understand why I tell her that being a tattooer is a lifestyle not just a job... But yet just doesn't think she can be the death metal loving dope head tattooers are supposed to be BULLs&!t... Well here is my delima she is quite popular with friends on my space and has developed a good clientel {but we all know if you are at a good shop and you are there everyday and you are a decent artist you will develop your own clientel} well anyway she is pregnant and due with the baby in feb i don't want to be the b1tc4 that fires her this close to her due date by the btw {i do believe she is in cahoots with another x employee and there new shop plan in another town} Do you think firing her will make my shop look bad? Or do I let her stay to the baby comes and let her possibly steal clientel???????IDK what to do any opinions would be nice.....E
Old 11-16-2009, 07:58 AM
Field Marshal

Tattooing is a lifestyle, but it has nothing to do with the music you like, the clothes you wear, the drugs you do or do not do, or practice skin. As for a pregnant chick: she has a kid to think about and if the shop ain't compatible with having kids (ie dope smoking metalheads) I wish her the best. Atleast they would open in another town instead of two doors down. To me, that kind of paranoia means the shop isn't offering enough to keep her, sounds like yall both are on different playing fields...so my advice is take the high road, throw in some Fiona apple here an there for her and smoke outside. Ha! Goodluck
Old 11-16-2009, 08:40 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by conorblue View Post
Tattooing is a lifestyle, but it has nothing to do with the music you like, the clothes you wear, the drugs you do or do not do, or practice skin. As for a pregnant chick: she has a kid to think about and if the shop ain't compatible with having kids (ie dope smoking metalheads) I wish her the best. Atleast they would open in another town instead of two doors down. To me, that kind of paranoia means the shop isn't offering enough to keep her, sounds like yall both are on different playing fields...so my advice is take the high road, throw in some Fiona apple here an there for her and smoke outside. Ha! Goodluck

these are good words, i cant say it any better, as far as practice skin guy, if all these people say the same thing on these forums, maybe you should listen, just a thought. practice skin is NOTHING even remotely close to human skin. tattoo yourself. NOT OTHER PEOPLE

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 11-16-2009, 11:33 PM
Recruit

ICP board...LOL
Old 11-16-2009, 11:35 PM
Recruit

What about pig skin? any thoughts
Old 11-17-2009, 12:16 AM
Private

I have children myself and do not do drugs. I do drink sometimes but i don't even smoke cigarettes. I have a nine year old and a 15 month old. I have worked extremely hard to get my shop running and i built all the walls to my 10x10 booths. Our shop is very kid friendly. I am not a dope smoking metalhead!!! I just do not like people who have no respect and do not care to educate themselves with machines or artists or even founders and roots of the tattooer.

Tags
practice, skins