Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 12-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Recruit

Default Convicted felons cant tattoo in georgia

yep, you heard it right.

I finally pushed my towns comity to enact A tattooing ordinance so i can finally open my shop since I moved here.

Part of the guidelines states that an owner or artist can not tattoo or get a license to tattoo if they have been convicted of a felony crime.

I have one of these but it was a first offense plea so im not sure how this will affect me. Gonna be super pissed if they tell me I cant have a license now.

Anyone else deal with this?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Corporal

Default Re: Convicted felons cant tattoo in georgia

wow thats crazy , i'd be f@#ked if this were the law in my state, i dont know about georgia but i know in florida you're good
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 01:58 PM
Recruit

After checking around it appears that this is only my city/county not all of georgia. They also require 200k of insurance and a contract with a biohazzard disposal company. Must have the hep-b vaccine before you can start and if you test positive for ANY communicable diseases they will not give you a permit.
Very tight regulations that claim to be for the safety of the community but from my side it seems like a good attempt to stop something they just have biased opinions about. I will have to go to the next town over where there are already 5 studios but its not about the traffic for me its just about having a legitimate, clean office to see my clients in.

Maybe some of my fellow artists here in Ga. will throw me a lifeline.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:56 PM
Recruit

Just wanted to note that I am all about safety but how many cities are charging the following:

Env. Health permit $450
Individual artist permit $100
Business license $150

Then there is:

200k insurance 1 year up front $600
Biohazzard (sharps) disposal contract $50/week
Copy of arrest record $20 (notarized)
Communicable diseases test $75 (must be from their health dept)

You see the circle of money? give us some, go over there give them some, come back and pay us some more, go to the sheriff and give him some, go to the local insurance company and give them some.

This is why alot of good artists that love what they do are forced to work out of a private location.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:15 AM
Corporal

yeah thats kinda ridiculous, i'd have to agree that they made it hard just to discourage the type of business in thier area.

in nc if you open a shop you only need:

500 dollars for tattoo permit(this is every year and only good at the location of business)

100 business license and thats it.

in florida i dont know what it takes to open a shop but i do know to work in a shop you dont need s&!t.no license/permit.

sorry for your situation man and wish you the best of luck, just sucks you have to go to the town over.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Recruit

Thanks, yeah I am just gonna continue to build up my clientel. As a decent moral person I want to follow rules set for the better of a community but when the rules are expenentialy difficult to the point that its apparent the local powers that be do not want you to be part of there business community, I have to go with my own morals and that is, that my clients trust me and over a give period of time that track record says im doing the right thing no matter what the old conservative farts in city hall think. Heh, A rebelous tattoo artist... Imagine that! If the people want it I shall continue to my artwork.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:23 AM
Private

damn... thats some insane laws... They passed a law at a ritzy city up here that you cannot perform a tattoo procedure unless you are a MD or a DO... (a licensed doctor)... how crazy is that... Hi, I'm Dr. Nate and I will be performing your tattoo procedure today.. Do you have insurance? lmao

Tags
convicted, felons, georgia, tattoo