Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 07-17-2007, 12:52 PM
Weaksauce
Corporal

Default What Sunscreen really works?

I remember a long time ago about a news report concerning sunscreens. They mentioned something about the SPF rating is not really accurate and can cause more harm that good. Well that was sometime ago. But I did locate this site which seems to be the "Consumer Reports" of suncreens. You can search the database to get detailed info of the product. As well as a chart that shows which ones really work.

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/spe...ns/summary.php
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 02:21 PM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Default Re: What Sunscreen really works?

SunScreen talk.. heres food for thought.

Summertime is an excellent time to put body art on display. The temperatures are warm, the clothing is more revealing and you can almost always find a bathing suit that matches your tattoo colors. However, summer sun and activity are one of the greatest dangers to tattoos and care must be taken in order to ensure that your skin art has a long and beautiful life span.

The number one danger to a tattoo is the sun. A tattoo will naturally fade and the lines soften as the skin ages, but exposure to sun greatly speeds up the process. The ink of a tattoo is in the dermis, where melanin, the chemical that darkens your skin to protect you from sun damage is produced. This chemical actually causes damage to healthy skin cells as it does it’s job, and this damage appears to extend to the ink molecules in the same skin layer.

The lighter and paler the colors of a tattoo, the more they are at risk. I have talked firsthand with people who lost white ink entirely after a single episode of sunburn. They describe noticing a total loss of the highlighting white after the red of the sunburn faded from the skin. Recoloring and retouching is possible, but sunburn the new ink again and you’ll be back to square one again.

Wearing sunscreen of SPF 20 or higher is recommended for tattoos, and the best protection of all is to keep them covered by clothing during the peak tanning hours. A few long-sleeved t-shirts in light colors should be part of every tattooed person’s summer wardrobe. For those who like water activities in summer, be sure to find a sunscreen that is both waterproof and sweatproof and remember to reapply according to the manufacturer’s instructions after getting out of the water.

Some people want to protect their skin art but still indulge in tanning, and apply sunscreen to just their tattoos. Personally, I don’t recommend this practice as it usually results in a painful and funny looking sunburn everywhere but on the tattoo itself. As tattooed skin is more pigmented than the untattooed skin, the sun absorption varies, and some people will notice their tattoos puff up a bit when they are out in the sun or become very hot. This is not a sign of any specific adverse reaction. but I usually take it as a sign to get out of the sun, cover up and cool off a bit.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.vickdogmovie.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 04:05 PM
Platoon Sargent

I will throw in a vote for: Neutrogena SPF55 Dry Touch.

That stuff is like liquid nighttime.

For the beach, you might want one that is more waterproof...but for every day protection...this stuff is awesome.

http://www.inkednation.com/parabellum9x19
Old 07-17-2007, 06:50 PM
Private

Melanotan
Old 05-13-2008, 07:03 PM
Private

Michelle needs a good sunscreen to protect her new Tim Orth piece, so I thought I would bump this topic to get some more feedback. She doesn't tan so much, but she does want to show it off some.

What is the absolute best sunscreen?
Old 05-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Scott Barriger
Corporal

staying indoors
Old 05-14-2008, 07:53 AM
Corporal

I just purchased one of those water shirts I put on my kids already. I made sure though to buy one big enough so I do not look like Sausageman in it.

In addition I use SPF50 sun screen any time I leave the house, even in a T-Shirt. I don't want to risk my new ink fading quickly.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:47 AM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

It doesnt seem to matter, once im in the sun for more than a few minutes, regardless of what or how much sun screen i wear, i burn to a crisp...

damn my swedish skin! haha

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.vickdogmovie.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Old 05-14-2008, 03:31 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabellum View Post
I will throw in a vote for: Neutrogena SPF55 Dry Touch.

That stuff is like liquid nighttime.

For the beach, you might want one that is more waterproof...but for every day protection...this stuff is awesome.
I second that vote for Neutrogena. As you can see in my piece, there is a decent amount of red. I found that when I use pretty much any other sunscreen, all of the red in my tattoo swelled up. However, when I use the Neutrogena, it doesn't swell up at all, and the protection I get with it is first-rate.

They also have an SPF70. Good stuff.
Old 05-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Platoon Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusGeek View Post
I second that vote for Neutrogena. As you can see in my piece, there is a decent amount of red. I found that when I use pretty much any other sunscreen, all of the red in my tattoo swelled up. However, when I use the Neutrogena, it doesn't swell up at all, and the protection I get with it is first-rate.

They also have an SPF70. Good stuff.
I didn't know about the SPF70...jeez...that is hardcore...but I will need something like that for my honeymoon in Jamaica this summer.

http://www.inkednation.com/parabellum9x19

Tags
sunscreen, works