Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2007, 09:12 PM
CEO, Reese Cup Corp
Field Marshal

Default Re: A sword for your viewing pleasure.

i could cut the hell outta some reese cups wit that thing.

Christopher McCandless
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:06 AM
Platoon Sargent

WYinkman.

Yes, I am very familiar with Rice Cracker...they have lots of good stuff there.

I held a blade that was 700-900 years old once (exact age unknown)...it definitely felt alive.

Best of luck to your son in his apprenticeship! Its a lot of hard hard work and sacrifice to be in this business. I am only a novice and I have already spent years learning the craft (I actually dabble in forging and polishing myself, in addition to the habaki making, which is my primary dicipline).

http://www.inkednation.com/parabellum9x19
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 12:28 PM
senior citizen member
Corporal

yes it is...his master moved but he is trying to work under another.....he has thus far made a tanto.....and a kitchen cleaver for my wife...japanese style as my wife is asian......very nice......he also mentioned to me that in japanese lore it is not good for an aggressive person to put their spirit on a blade as it will be dangerous......my kid is a martial artist and extremely mellow..
he is definitely the right guy for blade making.......
here is his contact if you want it clock_tower2000@yahoo.com
he is also learning japanese written and spoken....he wears headphones like 10 hrs a day....his name is tyler..........good luck
Old 03-24-2007, 08:04 PM
crocmaster
Corporal

hey!!! who does forging? I need a new sword! i definately want one made the traditional way (from tamahagane) I'd settle for heavily folded high carbon steel though. i'll pay what it takes for top quality or maybe we could work out a trade. the pics posted earlier look great! that is one wild active hamon! if any of you guys can do this for me, send me a message on here and i can give you specs of what i'm looking for. thanks
Old 03-24-2007, 09:08 PM
Corporal

i don't have a sword. i have a piece of copper i roughly sharpened on the sidewalk.

it has electric tape around it. or as i like to call it, a "handle."
Old 03-26-2007, 09:04 AM
Platoon Sargent

Jeff.

If you are really serious about wanting a sword like the one I posted, I can help you get in contact with the people you need to talk to.

The smith was Anthony DiCristofano in Chicago: www.namahagesword.com

And the polisher/mounter was Brandon Thell in MN: www.togishistudio.com

And by the way...Anthony is now producing folded blades from tamahagane, but of course the supply of steel is limited...so there may be a wait.

Both of them are friends of mine...tell them that Chris G. from Urbana, Illinois referred them to you. If you are willing to spend the $$ and time with these two artists...you will *NOT* be disappointed!

Old 03-26-2007, 09:07 AM
Platoon Sargent

Here is a great example of what Anthony is doing with tamahagane these days....note the gorgeous bonji horimono, and the ashi running all up and down the blade...

Old 03-26-2007, 10:14 AM
Field Marshal

thats awesome!!!!
Old 03-26-2007, 11:01 AM
crocmaster
Corporal

holy hell!!! thats awesome! I definately gotta hook up with them. thanks for the info
Old 03-26-2007, 04:05 PM
Platoon Sargent

Ok...last one.

This piece was a VERY special project for Anthony, and was featured in the first ever international museum exhibit of modern swordsmiths in Macau, China called Masters of Fire.

I actually had one piece of my work in that exhibit as well, in the Educational Corner. It was a damascus knife that I made a few years back.

Here is Anthony's Naginata Naoshi....this thing is even more beautiful in person...pictures cannot describe it....

Note the laser perfect blade geometry...which was set by HAND by holding the blade with bare hands and rubbing it against a set of water stones....just try to imagine the patience and dedication it takes to make something so perfect with your hands...oh wait...you amazing tattoo artists know all about that

Please note that Anthony's Mei (signiture of his smith name in the nakago at the bottom) is different...shortly after he made this sword, he took a new smith name of Sukemitsu. This was a common practice in Japan amongst Tosho (swordsmiths) when they had reached a new era of artistic understanding in their work.

Last edited by parabellum; 03-26-2007 at 04:09 PM..

Tags
pleasure, sword, viewing