Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 12-24-2011, 06:50 PM
Recruit

Default Color work problems

I haven't tattooed in about a year an a half bc a motorcycle accident ... Anyway I started. Working at a local shop and the past few solid color tats have been hell with the healing they scab too much and looked like they've been overworked but I don't feel they are . My grey work is fine though. it heals perfect and I work it more than my solid color. So WTF anybody have some suggestions the people I work with don't exactly strive for excellence so theyre no help with this . Thanks in advance
Chuck
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 08:16 AM
Private

Default Re: Color work problems

Heavy scabbing can be caused by going to deep or running the machine too hard, turn down the volts, move your hand slower and keep good tight circles, also the machine you use CAN have a huge effect on healing, my stigma hyper and soba workhorse iron have very good healing times and results! Good machines definetly help!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:37 PM
Recruit

Man I've been running my color machine on like 6-7 volts and it's on or damn near on 50% duty I know some people say that doesn't mater but I've even gone back to the basics and do the Nickle thing and the slow circles. I've tried Joshua Carlton's scrubbing tech. Idk WTF I'm doin wrong
Old 12-26-2011, 07:23 PM
Private

What machine's are you using and what needle groupings?... I always find round shaders destroy the skin, 7&9 magnums are alot easyer on the skin and are good size for saturation, too little band tension is also bad as the needle flops about not creating an even consistant hit into the skin which causes poor healing hope this helps
Old 12-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Recruit

I use S&S custom irons. Normally use pricks 11 mags
Old 12-27-2011, 07:43 AM
Private

There are so many possible reasons for a rough heal.
I would make sure I wasn't overworking the skin, if your not overworking and the color is solid then your golden.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Recruit

10 4 thanks for the help... On two of the tats I used a 14rs and the others mags I guess I'm overworking and just have been outta the game too long to see thanks for the help
Old 01-05-2012, 05:44 PM
Recruit

My voltage was apparently to high ...I've been running
An 11mag at 5.3 volts now everything is gravy... I was at
7-7.5 before on a 11 or 15 mag
Old 01-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Private

Aftercare is huge too. I am on my clients borderline harassment about it lol. I have been selling a lot of this stuff....
http://m.sephora.com/browse/product....nner=us_search

I use it myself when I get work done. Def feel it promotes faster and better healing, all natural too.
It has fennel seed extracts for anti inflammatory and other good stuff your skin likes.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:06 AM
Corporal

I'm gonna make a t-shirt that reads "voltage means nothing".

It really doesnt mean a thing.....every machine has its own brain. I run my WHI rot at 3.6 volts and my Bishop at 10.5 and they both produce and identical result.

If you're lost in the numbers, just get a power supply with no readings. Go back to tattooin g according to the feedback you're getting through vibrations in your hand.

One last thing, duty is simply how long the spring is away from the contact screw. A 50% duty indicates that it takes the same amount of time for the needle to be pushed down and then go back up. You don't want a duty where your needles stay down too long....for obvious reasons.

Yvan

Tags
color, problems, work