Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 01-07-2008, 09:06 AM
Private

Default laser removal

can laser removal cause permanent skin damage?

I know it blisters and swells your arm, but I cant find any info on any permanent damage it can cause?

Any help would be great!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:30 AM
CEO, Reese Cup Corp
Field Marshal

Default Re: laser removal

i've had 2 sessions (about six weeks apart) and i noticed signifcant skin color change in the area during the 12 weeks of getting lasered and healing but it has been approx 3 months since my last session and it has subsided alot and looks more normal than ever. I'm sure it has alot to do with skin color too though, i'm pretty pale. So of course i can tell easier. But if you are gettin lasered in order to get a coverup then it will heal enough and shouldn't affect the new tattoo. If you are lookin to just get lasered and hopin that you won't be able to tell the difference between your un-inked skin and the lasered area...that's not gonna happen. Your best option is to make an appointment and talk with a doctor. Always ask questions!!! Ask to see actual pictures of past. Not just what you see on an internet site. They take pictures before every sitting. My first appointment was both a sit down question and answer session and after i got my answers he actually did my first session of laser removal the same day.

Christopher McCandless
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 10:49 AM
Corporal

I have also had 2 sessions of laser but my sessions were spead out over the course of 5 months. I also could tell a difference in the skin texture and color after it was all healed. I am having a rather large piece lasered to have it covered so I am not worried about the difference in skin pigment. I agree completely with Terry, "If you are lookin to just get lasered and hopin that you won't be able to tell the difference between your un-inked skin and the lasered area...that's not gonna happen."
One thing that you should also know is that the laser more painful than getting tattooed in that same area, but well worth it if you are trying to have something covered.
Hunter S. Thompson
Old 08-24-2008, 08:38 AM
Recruit

I am curious about those who have had laser for a cover up. Did you get it lasered completely off and then a completely new tattoo in the same place? Or did you just get laser to lighten it for the cover up?
Old 08-25-2008, 12:42 AM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyeyes View Post
I am curious about those who have had laser for a cover up. Did you get it lasered completely off and then a completely new tattoo in the same place? Or did you just get laser to lighten it for the cover up?
you should check out tattoo artist magazine. They've got an entire article on guy aitchison's sleeve. He had a lot of laser treatment done before aaron caine and the almighty GRIME got to workin on him. Great read and very informative. I've seen a lot of laser removal and it doesn't seem to f@#k the skin up much at all. What i'm particularly curious about is the affects it has on black people. Anyone know how that turns out???
Old 08-25-2008, 11:38 AM
CEO, Reese Cup Corp
Field Marshal

you don't have to get it completely removed to have it covered. you might want to first get with the artist that will be doin your coverup(AON...hint, hint) and ask him what he would need done(laser-wise) in order to complete a great cover-up!

Christopher McCandless
Old 08-25-2008, 10:07 PM
Private

how much does this stuff cost?
Old 08-28-2008, 09:57 AM
Corporal

i have never had it done, but agree with those guys that said ask question and check out the doc. for his or hers experience in laser treatment. not all states are doctor regulated. there is a place rite out side tn. that dose them and they are not doctor nor health department regulated, and one in tn. that is run by a doctor. some of the treatment i have seen out of both places is scared pretty good. its like they turned it up to high to do less sittings for whatever their reasons are? some of the ones i've seen healing look like a 3rd degree burn. scares me.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:27 PM
CEO, Reese Cup Corp
Field Marshal

$300 to $500 an hour here in ohio. It's expensive and it hurts. Google tattoo laser removal and your State, you'll find someone. Then ask questions!

Christopher McCandless
Old 09-19-2008, 02:51 AM
Private

I'm in the UK and looking to move into removals myself here (it is regulated strongly here but we are able to get registered as long as we jump through the appropriate hoops).

In answer to your question, well, it depends. Sorry!!! LOL

Done properly there should be no scarring, just like with tattoos, but in the wrong hands it can happen. The amount of treatment you need will depend on how much ink is in your tattoo, how deep the ink lies and your own skin type. Lasers work better on pale people as they rely on the laser differentiating between the dark pigment and the lighter surrounding skin. Lasers are unlikely to work on people with dark skin, just like they don't for hair removal on blondes - there is not enough contrast between light and dark.

The laser will cause temporary skin damage - blistering and weeping - which subsides after a few hours and ice packs are normally provided when you leave to keep it cool. Cold air blowers are also often used to minimise discomfort during treatment.

It’s important to let the skin heal completely between sessions, which is why most places will insist on at least a 6 week wait. This minimises scarring risk as well as giving the immune system chance to do its job. The immune system continues to flush away the shattered ink particles for up to six months after treatment which is why it’s normally recommended to wait that long before embarking on a cover-up. It also gives the skin chance to recover completely before the needle traumatises it again.

Sometimes removing the ink will expose scarring from the original tattoo if the butcher chewed up your skin.

And finally look for someone with an ACTIVE Q-switched laser. Q-switched alone is less powerful and will penetrate the skin less, so may be ok for scratcher tattoos but is unlikely to be powerful enough to attack a strong professional piece. This is relevant because repeatedly lasering the skin with the wrong laser will cause more damage, never mind costing you loads more in the long run.

So follow the rules and find someone reputable and the scarring should be minimal.

Tags
laser, removal