Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 06-03-2008, 02:29 PM
Private

Default Re: The nature of Apprenticeships

Apprenticeships are just like going to school!!! If you go to a reputable shop, you will learn great amounts of information as if you were going to a college. One of the main Focuses that i've come to find is learning thengs the right way. For whoever considers tattooing as a career, find a good shop were you can learn the artistic aspects of tattooing as well as the buisness aspects!!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:07 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maetoch View Post
what if you work in a shop that doesnt allow you to "speak up" even when being humiliated? in fact the owner more or less joined in on the humility and when I began to defend myself was pulled aside and told to shut my mouth. I mean, I could go on for days and days about the things that have been said to me by customers and my boss NEVER comes to my defense, yet will not allow me to respond in kind either, citing "never let money walk out the door". I understand we need the money but at what expense? If a customer comes in and talks smack to him the s&!t is on, ive witnessed customers being chased into the parking lot with a bat. But, when it comes to me all is fair game. I know i should be grateful for the oppurtunity ive been given to work in this industry, but sometimes its a little grating on the nerves.
that really sucks. I've been in shops like that before and it's absolute nonsense. I've been i situations where a customer has called me every name in the book and not only did the owner do nothing(never let money walk out the door) but he joined in. What bulls&!t!!!!! The best way I fould around it , other than quitting is just to out smart them. Keep a very calm attitude and stand your ground. Professionalism will really bite their heads off. The minute they think they have got you pissed it's over. Never let an idiot get to you. This is also the same shop that I've seen the owner spit in a customer's face. Thank god I don't work there anymore. You don't need that s&!t. I now currently co-own my shop, and policy is that we will maintain a professional atmosphere, and treat all of our customers with the respect they deserve, and they will do the same. Any bad attitudes pointed at anyone is addressed politely and if the problematic party can't get it right, then they're asked to leave. Plain and simple. Nonsense of this nature can and will bring a shop down. A lot of shops don't understand customer service, and it's a very necessary thing. If your customers aren't happy, or your employees aren't happy, there will always be problems or animosity. And that stuff will lower your shop. Tattoos are supposed to be a fun experience, for everyone. Bad customer service won't allow that.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Field Marshal

regardless of being an apprentice or a pro, never let any one talk you down for any reason. be polite when you tell some one to go f@#k themself. and always stand your ground. if you let some one bully you once, they'll do it forever. our shop apprentices get a god amount of ball busting, but they always know it's just good fun and we respect them. they are here to learn, not to be the whipping boys. now go wash my truck!!!! hahahaha..... jk...
Old 06-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Field Marshal

ahhahaha for sure.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Scott Barriger
Corporal

I dont know what it is, maybe because im a small guy (5'1"), but everyday someone trys to bust my chops. Today I get a phone call fom a female asking for a quote on a tattoo. The shops policy is not to give quotes over the phone, so I politely explain this then go on to tell her the shop minimum and hourly rate and also invited her to come in the shop and allow me to draw her something up then I can give her the quote. She says thank you and hangs up. Not 10 seconds later the phone rings again and this time its a guy that says" Hey man all I need is a price for the fu**ing tattoo, I dont need to hear the rest of your sh*t." I respond with an apology and calmly try to explain the shops policy to the guy when he cuts me off and screams"WELL FU*K YOU THEN!!!" Now, my first thought was to tell the guy to come to the shop and we'd see who fu*ked who but instead I just told him to have a nice day and hung up.

I've been considering moving on to another shop, but there is only one other shop in this area I'd work at and they seem to have a full house at the moment, plus Ive been told I would probably have to re-apprentice if I changed locations. I dont have a poblem with that actually as I have come to find that alot of the stuff I was taught is wrong or at the very least innacurate.

Anyway, Im starting to sound like a whiney bi*ch so Im going to stop now, its just nice to have a place to swap stories and sometimes glean a nugget of information here and there. thanks for replying to my post.

ps. ill pay someone 5 grand right now if they give me a job and show me the real ropes. lol
Old 06-04-2008, 05:23 AM
the cap'm
Corporal

Quote:
I dont know what it is, maybe because im a small guy (5'1"), but everyday someone trys to bust my chops. Today I get a phone call fom a female asking for a quote on a tattoo. The shops policy is not to give quotes over the phone,

how did she know you were little, over the phone?
Old 06-04-2008, 02:04 PM
Scott Barriger
Corporal

yeah yeah, i thought about that after i typed it. i made it look like that was part of the story didnt i? sorry bout that. just tired of being talked down to and not being able to defend myself. the people on the phone were just idiots. anonymity tends to make people feel 10 ft tall and bulletproof.
Old 06-04-2008, 10:25 PM
Private

Ahh the general public..

Working at Officeworks (office supplies retail store) as a sales person/assistant I got abused so many times either over the phone or in person.. I always try to help my customers and be polite, but its just not good enough for some people who try to give you s&!t.

I can understand someone getting pissed if we screw up or if there are delays.. However I just don't understand how people can be just assholes for no reason
Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 AM
Private

If you've come to find out alot of the s&!t you were shown is wrong, then I'd leave. Better to take the extra time and relearn the right way than hang out in a bad scene. Throw being treated like a turd on top, and I'm confused to why your even still there. I may be rough on my apprentices at times, but thats like saying I'm rough on my little brothers. I can say whatever I want to about em, but nobody else better say that s&!t, or there is going to some biblical crap happening. (Also, I test each apprentices breaking point, I want to see how much s&!t they will put up with..... don't want a crybaby in the shop, but you have to be able to get feed up with being s&!t on, and be able to stand up for yourself.... shhhhh, it's a secret, don't tell my apprentice that)

also, attitude can make up for size.... the way you carry yourself makes up a lot of how easy to screw with people will view you.
Old 06-05-2008, 02:25 AM
LBT

Quote:
I dont know what it is, maybe because im a small guy (5'1"), but everyday someone trys to bust my chops. Today I get a phone call fom a female asking for a quote on a tattoo. The shops policy is not to give quotes over the phone, so I politely explain this then go on to tell her the shop minimum and hourly rate and also invited her to come in the shop and allow me to draw her something up then I can give her the quote. She says thank you and hangs up. Not 10 seconds later the phone rings again and this time its a guy that says" Hey man all I need is a price for the fu**ing tattoo, I dont need to hear the rest of your sh*t." I respond with an apology and calmly try to explain the shops policy to the guy when he cuts me off and screams"WELL FU*K YOU THEN!!!" Now, my first thought was to tell the guy to come to the shop and we'd see who fu*ked who but instead I just told him to have a nice day and hung up.

I've been considering moving on to another shop, but there is only one other shop in this area I'd work at and they seem to have a full house at the moment, plus Ive been told I would probably have to re-apprentice if I changed locations. I dont have a poblem with that actually as I have come to find that alot of the stuff I was taught is wrong or at the very least innacurate.

Anyway, Im starting to sound like a whiney bi*ch so Im going to stop now, its just nice to have a place to swap stories and sometimes glean a nugget of information here and there. thanks for replying to my post.

ps. ill pay someone 5 grand right now if they give me a job and show me the real ropes. lol

wow...you have a lot more patience than I. I would have told the guy to f@#k right off and he couldnt afford any tattoos from our shop!

Tags
apprenticeships, nature