Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 05-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Field Marshal

Default Re: The nature of Apprenticeships

rumors are just rumors for sure.

most apprentices move on with a reference anyways.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 07:11 PM
Private

What motivates Tattoo Artists to take on apprentices anyway? Wouldn't it all be a big hassle for them? Or is it a good feeling to pass on your knowledge?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:19 PM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kowai View Post
What motivates Tattoo Artists to take on apprentices anyway? Wouldn't it all be a big hassle for them? Or is it a good feeling to pass on your knowledge?
i think it depends on the talent and quality of person applying for the apprenticeship. no one wants to give a crack head a job for lots of reasons. i love the fact that more people are wiling to share info with other professionals, so it's kinda the same feeling when you get to show some one what being professional is all about. my apprenticeship didn't have a lot of speaking involved. it was kinda like pay attention to the lesson at hand, if you're asking too many questions, you're obviously not paying attention to what going on at that very moment.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:47 AM
Private

Every apprenticeship is different. and every artist is different. These are my basic views and rules towards the whole affair.

1: I refuse to take on anyone who cannot stomp my ass on paper. I enjoy the fact that I am helping someone who is deserving and talented break into the business, plus the free labor is always nice. I've never been a huge fan of charging for an apprenticeship, it just seems alien to me, I would rather have the free slave labor (and a contract that states you will work for me for an agreed amount of time, you can make me some real cash ).

2: I refuse to teach piercers, I've noticed a lot of em seem to think that they can slide into tattooing after a while. Sorry, if you couldn't hack it for a tattoo apprenticeship before, you don't get one now. Plus. Piercers (IMO) totally gutted and made pointless their own profession by training 50 million of their buddies, ignoring the basic fact that you are teaching your own future competition. I remember when a good piercer could make enough money to live well on, now they can barely seem to stay fed.

3: I refuse to teach anyone who is too fixated on the whole "cool tattoo guy" aspect, the people who have sketchbooks of ripoffs of tattoos done by famous artists, whatever sailor jerry/ed hardy flash hot topic has deemed to be cool this week (no disrespect either of those two gentlemen, they both did a s&!t load for tattooing, and I cannot blame Hardy for wanting to get some cash and recognition, though I think it's a shame Sailor Jerry had to die before the general population understood he was the man with the plan) or any lame ass attempts at a tattoo style. If you knew s&!t about how to layout a well designed tattoo, then you wouldn't be the prospective apprentice, would you? If you don't draw because you love to, then tough titty said the kitty....

4: I refuse to teach college/art school students. Sorry, I know this may not be the popular answer, but I see it as a man may only have one master. Plus, if your serious about tattooing, then why would you want a degree? Seems fishy to me, like people will tattoo their way through college, and then bail once they start their "real career", or tattoo on the side or call it a "hobby" or some such gayness. Way I see it is, I'm teaching you what should be your real career. I expect the same level of commitment from my apprentices that I have towards tattooing. Plus most art school students I have ever interacted with either: sucked ass at drawing/ were gratingly liberal/ hyper sensitive/ unable to engage in confrontation (kinda happens in this profession, gotta get in a motherf@#kers face) or thought their own farts smelled like roses.

5: I only take on one apprentice at time. Otherwise I am unable to devote enough time to all of them, which is unfair towards them and me..... though the idea of an apprentice death match thunder dome style does make me smile.

These are just my opinions on matters, I am a firm believer in the 7 p's and apply it towards my apprentices learning process. (proper planning and preparation prevent piss poor performance)
Old 05-27-2008, 07:55 PM
Private

I don't know about America, but in Australia it is heavily pushed to finish high school and go to university to get a degree. Alot of people do this before they figure out what they really want to do... I think an art degree/background could really benefit a tattoo artist. These things aren't taught exclusively in university of course (real world experience).

I don't have a degree, but I've just gone through three years of college to get two Diplomas and one Advanced Diploma. The two courses I did were 2D and 3D animation/art/design focused.

Rather than go into 3D I'm really interested in pursuing a career in tattooing. I know it sounds bad to have this change of heart, however I wasn't lucky enough to be introduced to tattooing earlier.. Didn't know anyone who'd been tattooed, grew up in a country town so no nearby tattoo studios.. Anyway now that I -have- been introduced, I love it. It seems a good career choice for me because I've always loved drawing and I can draw well. I love the art of it and really, I love my own tattoos and think they're just awesome.

Loved your post Phil, thanks for the insight You seem to have a good set of morals when it comes to taking on an apprentice
Old 05-29-2008, 02:04 AM
the cap'm
Corporal

phil nailed it...except for the liberal part. I like liberals, I'm pretty goddamn lefty, so it'd be easier to be around someone who ahd similar viewpoints...but you've gotta be able to speak up for sure and not be a pussy about things

drawing is only the beginning, patience, strength of opinion, humility about personal ability, patience, social skills to the MAX, a firm handshake, patience...

those things matter as much or almost more than artistic skills.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:09 PM
Field Marshal

what good is knowing anything if you cant share it with those closest to you.

and a student tattooer is about as close as you can get to two males hangin out without being gay hahahaaa
Old 05-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Field Marshal

ps I was joking no were not sexist - we have a female apprentice hahahaa
Old 06-02-2008, 07:51 PM
Private

Just thought I'd say here that I've been to some local tattoo studios, talked to some people and got advice on how to draw up and present my portfolio

Theres one studio that looks promising.. Very clean and professional, the guy there has been tattooing for years and doesn't currently have an apprentice. Its really close to my house and he told me to bring back my portfolio in a couple of months.

I'm working on my drawings now.. So planning in a few weeks to go back and show him what I've done. He had some good advice on drawing and took the time to chat to me.

This other studio I went to... Well there was one artist there (by that I mean someone who can actually draw) who is actually a friend of a friend.. He had some good advice, but the place he works in.. AUGH! It's a bikie den! I went out the back of the store to chat to the owner and this friend.. Well the back was smoke filled (from them smoking inside, which is illegal to do in a workplace in Australia) with these bikie guys all lazing about on lounge chairs watching tv.. They pretty much just do flash work there.. Just copying.. *shudder* I don't know why the friend is working there..

The owner was even shocked that my tattoo was done by a woman.. *sigh* I think he's still living in the past a bit
Old 06-02-2008, 09:30 PM
Scott Barriger
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonanteye View Post
phil nailed it...except for the liberal part. I like liberals, I'm pretty goddamn lefty, so it'd be easier to be around someone who ahd similar viewpoints...but you've gotta be able to speak up for sure and not be a pussy about things

drawing is only the beginning, patience, strength of opinion, humility about personal ability, patience, social skills to the MAX, a firm handshake, patience...

those things matter as much or almost more than artistic skills.
what if you work in a shop that doesnt allow you to "speak up" even when being humiliated? in fact the owner more or less joined in on the humility and when I began to defend myself was pulled aside and told to shut my mouth. I mean, I could go on for days and days about the things that have been said to me by customers and my boss NEVER comes to my defense, yet will not allow me to respond in kind either, citing "never let money walk out the door". I understand we need the money but at what expense? If a customer comes in and talks smack to him the s&!t is on, ive witnessed customers being chased into the parking lot with a bat. But, when it comes to me all is fair game. I know i should be grateful for the oppurtunity ive been given to work in this industry, but sometimes its a little grating on the nerves.

Tags
apprenticeships, nature