Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > General Discussion

Old 06-01-2010, 02:13 PM
Platoon Sargent

Default All "Pro" tattoo artists please respond>>

I just have a couple of questions.......would all you pro guys... like for all the apprentices and non-tattoo artists to go else where, for information about tattooing or does it bother you any? I mean aside from all the little techniques and secrets one could only learn by actually tattooing, how do you feel with the influx of people trying to tattoo and learn the art without an apprenticeship?

Be as truthful/honest as possible its all good on this thread...........

Last edited by Frek; 06-01-2010 at 02:28 PM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:28 PM
Needs Church
Field Marshal

Default Re: All "Pro" tattoo artists please respond>>

I dont mind in any way if people come here to educate themselves in one way or another.
I hate that people refuse to get an apprenticeship,..but hay,.. there really isnt anything I can do or say to stop it.
I will never give any tips to a scratcher on how to tattoo,..but I dont mind at all to help them with their drawing skills.
... ( y )
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 02:37 PM
f@#k yeah
Private

dude-- thats why they have the ''secret'' private forum. seems like they mentioned that on your scratcher thread that you started........right? this place has never been a good source of ''tips n tricks'' they always PMed that s&!t back n forth to each other. sometimes it seems like all you want to do is ''belong'' somewhere bro. its a natural human behavior. but i see you always trying to enlist a reaction from people by creating a ''common'' enemy which allows you to be pulled in and bask in your ''legitamacy'' with all the rest of the pros on here. i would imagine that you are just really excited about getting into the biz. all of the answers to this thread are already here in past posts on this forum. if you do enough reading you will find them.
Old 06-01-2010, 02:38 PM
Platoon Sargent

Can some of you pro's blaim other pro's for some of the influx of scratchers?
Old 06-01-2010, 02:55 PM
Platoon Sargent

Yo Mucous, Im asking this question for a reason, because this tattoo artist was just out of this world, ridiculously rude and ignorant, when I asked him for an apprenticeship...thats all, your right I do want to be part of something and hopefully I'm part of something BIG, I feel a little heat coming from your way you alright dude, I just want to get a picture of what these "pro's" really think about the "outsiders" of the tattooing world.......and honestly dude I really would rather not spend my whole day looking through old posts looking for answers to this question, which is why its posted anyway.........and this thread is for "PRO's" to respond to mucous we all know your a scratcher graduate dude, so your point of view is going to be biased anyway........dont need that and Im not trying to be negative....

Last edited by Frek; 06-01-2010 at 03:10 PM..
Old 06-01-2010, 03:25 PM
Corporal

I think people are going to get the info that they want regardless. What you do with the info after you get it is key.
I think alot of the valid info floating around on here goes over alot of people's heads. You can usually point them out on forums with the bad spelling and the terrible use of grammar, lol.
I've been tattooing professionally for like 8 years now, and I pick up all kinds of info on this forum. I've met alot of cool people here and have learned a ton of neat stuff.
My theory is that, yeah, you'll always have a ton of scratchers forever, That's nothing new (Huck spaulding was selling kits like 40 years ago) that'll never stop.

The ones that really want it will always get it. And those are the ones that understand that a solid apprenticeship is the way to go, Doing constant amounts of artwork, Reading, seminars, conventions etc etc etc..

I guess honestly, yeah, I've worked really hard to be where I've ended up so far.
It makes me irritated when some person acts like an ass and makes this trade look like the stereotype that they're representing. But in the end why loose sleep over their ignorance? They know they're gay and We know We rule, lol.
..My 2 cents
Old 06-01-2010, 07:45 PM
Field Marshal

no matter how much info someone thinks they have, you dont get the fruits without the work, and it will show. we all are right where we deserve to be.

the concept of "pro's" vs "scratchers" is really such a strange distinction anyway with everyone having a different view on what defines a scratcher, and why they arent one. i remember being called a "poser" because i had airwalks instead of vans in highschool...but you know what, i 360 flipped my skateboard before anyone at school. money talks and bulls&!t walks, or some other such retarded analogy.

do work
Old 06-01-2010, 09:57 PM
Corporal

Theres one way to learn this the right way, and a million ways to learn it wrong. I didnt exactly do a one year apprentiship, but I started in a shop period. I did tattoos on me and my homies waaaay back in teh day, but it wasnt because I wanted to do tattoos for a living or break into the biz. It was because we wanted tattoos, and I was picked to do em cuz I was the artist of the crew. When I decided I wanted to do tattoos, I found a shop that would take me. Thats how it has to be done, it cant be done any other way, and if you do, you are being terribly irresponsible to the people you mess up. Now I know that there is a bazillion people in shops that suck. And I know that everyonce in a while you see someone tattooing out of there home that is a tiny bit better than one of those guyz that suck in a shop. But to say hey look Im better than the worst f@#kin tattooer in America that works in a shop, and I scratch out of my house, what the f@#k good is that? Truth is alot of people that work in shops are still scratchers imo, because they didnt learn the right way either, and they dont get better, and they f@#k people up. If you do amazing work You do AMAZING work period. If you suck you suck. If you rock amazing work you get props from me no matter where you do it. But if you work out of your house you better be f@#kin good. Not scour the internet for bad artist that work in shops and say my s&!t is better than that. You better be doin s&!t thats doper than 90percent of the s&!t other peeps are doin, or in my book you aint gotta leg to stand on, as far as saying the rest of the world is hatin on me for bein a scratcher.

Now this all goes back to learnin the right way. If you learn the RIGHT WAY, what you ask your fellow tattooers as far as advice goes, will be VASTLY differant than what you ask us if you are learning the wrong way. What you asks us and how you ask it tells us EVERYTHING about what you are doing and HOW you are doing it. So dont tell us your doing your s&!t all str8 clean legit you are the f@#kin man and everyone sux, and ask us questions that tells us you dont know anything. Cuz then everyone will know your tryin to get an eprenticeship and have no sympathy and s&!t on everything you do.

There is a reason why respect the old timers of the biz, the ones that drew that flash that Deisel thinks is s&!t. Cuz they didnt have the internet or f@#kin cell phones. They experimented, they built their machines, They traveled across county for a bottle of f@#kin purple, they worked there balls off to earn the trust to get a tidbit of advice from someone that knew something they didnt. They didnt type some s&!tty question, and throw a fit when everyone that worked there asses off for what your askin for free didnt just give up everything they know. Thats why traditional Americana tattoo imagery is so powerful and so dope, cuz it is the artistic visual history of the journey these guys took to hand down to us what they worked so hard to learn. And alot of the times, what we take for granted.

This s&!t isnt easy to do right. It shouldnt be easy to do well. And the day some asshole can learn this s&!t the proper way over the interet, is some far off virtual reality eutopia world we dont f@#kin live in yet.

/rant off

Last edited by Solomon; 06-01-2010 at 10:08 PM..
Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 PM
Corporal

I agree with Soloman and Conorblue
Old 06-02-2010, 09:17 AM
Platoon Sargent

Well for the record, I want to tattoo professionally, and I have a ton of respect for the art, and artist before me, and the history of it also, I just wanted all the pro's to vent about how they feel with certain individuals in this field, that are thorns in the side of the industry, and might be making the journey for aspiring apprentices and guys that take it seriously, that much harder, because I feel that alot of pro's deal with this s&!t SO much that when a guy/girl comes on tattooing web-sites, that actually has respect for this craft, and what its about they're traeted just like a person that don't give a f@#k about it> Same goes for some of these arogant ass shop owners..............Thanx, and Diesel's not gonna get anywhere in this field its very obvious he has no clue about this art...or art in general..........I also agree with the views of Conor and Soloman even if some of their post was pertaining to me......

My posts have nothing to do with individuals on this site directly, even if some of those people are part of the problems mentioned, if you are a scratcher that happens to produce sick ass work, I tip my hat and I embrace you just like any other PRO tattooist, its the diggers and the dudes that have nothing to contribute to this craft, artistically......

Last edited by Frek; 06-02-2010 at 09:26 AM..

Tags
artists, pro, respond>>, tattoo