Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 06-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Your future ex-husband
Corporal

Default Really stupid or completely amazing idea

So it's a long and stupid story as to why i tried this and how it all came about, but i've been going insane trying to figure out what to make of this. The other day i strapped a rubber band with very light tension across the top of my front binding post (A) and down to under my front spring (B) to give it a little extra pull towards the contact screw. this make sense??? tried to throw in a ghetto diagram to help explain.

A
/ <contact screw
Front binding post> O
/
/
front spring> ''''''------.........
B
armature bar > =============

sooo, What it did was slightly increase the cycle speed of the machine. Duty cycle is not affected though because it only affects the return travel. It isn't enough tension to fight the coils, but when the circuit breaks, it helps speed up the return.
In my head it doesn't cause the machine to hit harder, but somewhat faster.
This is giving the affect of a stronger rear spring tension, but without making the machine fight against said rear spring.

I know, I know, if it ain't broke, don't fix it, but i was curious if this could be of benefit in any way??? i have been racking my brain about this, but haven't mastered the physics of the tattooing machine and all tuning to know what to make of all this.

So some imput would be interesting. preferable from someone who has a stronger grasp of the physics of machines, that can explain what's going on and it's pros's and/or cons. But i'm ok with it being claimed straight up s&!te. as long as someone can explain y. Or maybe hear from someone who is brave enough to try it, and see if it can be usefully put into affect. if that's the case i'm claiming the idea now as mine!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:52 PM
Corporal

Unhappy Re: Really stupid or completely amazing idea

basically what you are doing is making the rear spring lighter, and front spring stronger. So you are doing what differant gauge springs would do, but in a more ineffecient way that is gonna be prone to making your machine run very erractically. I know what its like to stumble upon something and get xcited. sorry to burst your bubble.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Your future ex-husband
Corporal

Default Re: Really stupid or completely amazing idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solomon View Post
basically what you are doing is making the rear spring lighter, and front spring stronger. So you are doing what differant gauge springs would do, but in a more ineffecient way that is gonna be prone to making your machine run very erractically. I know what its like to stumble upon something and get xcited. sorry to burst your bubble.
well if you really meant that u think i'm making the rear lighter and front stronger, then you don't understand what i meant. I think it sounds like i'm being a d**k when i say that, but i'm not. Not sure how else to say that

But what i am basically positive about is that it's making the rear spring stronger, without the negative resistance of the heavier rear spring, and not really affecting the front spring at all.

though i do agree that the rubber band is not gonna be super effecient or reliable, I'm using to give such little extra tension it seems like it shouldn't matter.

anyone else?

I do what i want!!!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Corporal

I must not understand what you are proposing. Becuz I dont see how something can pull the armature up, and then not pull against it as it moves back down. You should post a lil sketch bro, then maybe we can comment on it.
Old 06-20-2010, 10:21 AM
Private

im with solomon...its really unessesary,do you know how to tune a machine properly?...im trying to say this politely.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:43 PM
Your future ex-husband
Corporal

Basically what i figuring is because it's a fulcrum point set so far forward, that when the coils pull, it doesn't affect the anything, but when the circuit is broken it's enough pull to increase speed, by about 10-15%. This is what i'm getting readings of with barely any tension on the band.

So again, it really is not affecting the downward pull in anyway, just the return.

And i do have a solid grasp on tuning, plus i've picked up desormeaux's book and dano collins book and read em front to back, to better understand my machines so i can start rebuilding them and tweaking them to better suit my style. This honestly came about while doing alot of tweaking and fine tuning since i've become obsessed with advancing my tuning knowledge.

I do what i want!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:44 PM
Your future ex-husband
Corporal

I'm still not trying to claim, this can do anything special, but i'm pretty sure on the fact that it does what i say it does. Just want to see if there is any benefit. don't want to cause any tension or arguments. Just a little harmless debating =)

I do what i want!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:45 PM
Your future ex-husband
Corporal

and attempts to gain some education for myself

I do what i want!!!
Old 06-20-2010, 05:59 PM
Platoon Sargent

Why do people still reuse nipples these days? Rubber bands too, for that matter. It irks me every time I see a machine with a nipple on it.
Old 06-20-2010, 06:52 PM
Your future ex-husband
Corporal

i bag or barrier film EVERYTHING, so i see no point or changing the bands and nipples every time also.

I do what i want!!!

Tags
amazing, completely, idea, stupid