Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 07-08-2010, 03:36 AM
Private

Default Re: Next Generation Machines ???

Ok, moot point. Moving on.

Can I post pics to this site or do I have to link to an external site?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:01 AM
Private

Aright, I got it

This is artwork from a Queensryche album, not my design! This was taken immediately after the tattoo was done so I hope that when it heals the washes come out a little to reveal a little bit of a backlighting effect in the shadows. This was only my second tattoo so he knew what he was getting into, crazy f@#k.

Last edited by PAWNJOB; 07-08-2010 at 04:07 AM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:19 AM
Platoon Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWNJOB View Post
Ok, moot point. Moving on.
You're welcome.
Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 AM
Platoon Sargent

The Queensryche logo is good! And one of my fav bands.

But if you take a look around you'll see there's a thread for posting work. Go check it out man.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:43 AM
Your future ex-husband
Corporal

f in faith too high?? or that supposed to be the capitol?

I do what i want!!!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:19 AM
Private

It is supposed to be a capitol but it does look high.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

please tell me your not doing this out of your house! it looks good though for your first couple tattoos. just for the love of god, dont do it out of your house.

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 07-09-2010, 11:34 PM
Private

Of course it's out of my house, just like a lot of good established artists started out. I'm not going to open up a shop just so I can start tattooing before I get a "real" apprenticeship. I know that this is a bit of a slap in the face for those of you who paid your dues and got into the industry the "right" way. But I am OSHA certified for Blood Borne Pathogens and I follow ALL of the same sanitation procedures that you do in the shop w/ the exception of not having industrial grade tile, I have vinyl flooring in the room I have set up to tattoo in. Everything gets sanitized and I use barriers. I mostly use pre-sterilized tubes and needles and I use the autoclave at school for sterilizing my SS tubes and grips.

I appreciate all of the kind words about my pics, I know that they're not very good tattoos. Tattooing has by far been the hardest medium for me to learn by a long shot. All of my clients have known exactly what they were getting into as far as my lack of experience and skill level with tattooing and the possible outcomes, and even at that I've still been very selective as to what I'm willing to take on. Even after I've explained this to people some of them have still asked for portraits and everything in between, YEAH RIGHT! I know that just because I can paint them doesn't mean that I can tattoo them. Hopefully soon though, but one step at a time. I'll probably post some pics of my paintings soon so you guys can see what I'm aspiring to. 'Til then it's happy scratchin' for me.

-Pawn
Old 07-10-2010, 01:52 AM
Tala Tattoo
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWNJOB View Post
Of course it's out of my house, just like a lot of good established artists started out.

I appreciate all of the kind words about my pics, I know that they're not very good tattoos. Tattooing has by far been the hardest medium for me to learn by a long shot.
PawnJob:
When the two tattoos you've posted are examined closely they are soon revealed to be the work of someone who is inexperienced... You've yet to learn the medium... it will take years if you do learn it... At least you've learned tattooing has a measure of particular difficulty... Rather steep the tattoo learning curve is grasshopper...

The outlines on the faith tattoo are wobbly, scratchy, inconsistent and grey. It's easy to see you're struggling with the medium and technique. The lack of confidence in the line work is telling. The repetition, and working the lines several times is writ large in the work. As for the color fill... the black is at best blotchy and in this photo; grey... a far cry from black. If the client wanted grey letters they got blotchy letters. If they wanted black lettering they got scratches. This tattoo is a testament to the need for folks to train with knowledgeable tattoo artists.

The black and grey Queensryche tattoo shows railroad track outlines with multiple passes. (And yet the lines STILL have railroad tracks...) The blowouts and hesitations are the result of a lack of knowledge; of machines, needles, hand speed and... again... a lack of confidence which would tend to improve with guidance from someone who knows how to tattoo spending the appropriate time with the learner. The shading on this tattoo will also heal splotchy. It takes TIME and practice to render great black and grey with smooth transitions... Something which should be initiated after one is good at line work and solid fill...

Both of the tattoos are massive failures as adequate and well rendered. They're typical of folks working at home... and working without supervision.

Pawnjob... it's obvious you want to tattoo. Lots of folks want to tattoo. If you continue to pursue a dream it may be realized, but... mark this... it's a life, a way of thriving as an artist... very different from a "job." It's a calling. You will, if you persist, spend 80-120 hours a week at it as an artist. If you want it, you cannot do anything less and be successful. I urge you to beat the pavement and work every contact to find someone to teach you proper tattoo technique. Learning at home, on your own, will require a massive amount of relearning and a necessary jettisoning of inevitably crappy technique; if you ever do find a teacher... There are many who never do; unlearn crappy technique... or find a teacher... Then there are those whose conceit won't allow them to look for a proper teacher.

Until the time you find an exquisite and knowledgeable mentor/teacher: Quit tattooing PawnJob... send the folks who want a tattoo to a proper tattoo artist. (Unless they're like my friend Jim, a punk musician, who only wants s&!tty tattoos and seeks out scratchers. No PawnJob, I've never tattooed Jim. He wouldn't let me... even when I was in my first year of tattooing...)

Try to take this as genuine criticism. Reaction will only f@#k up your heart, your head and ultimately; screw up your relationships with folks who may help you learn something... on the other hand... you might need to screw up your relationships... Are you compelled to step into transference with every authority you've ever come across?

Tala
Old 07-10-2010, 06:37 AM
Field Marshal

that reminds me of a Buddhist proverb: “When the student is ready, the teacher will appear”

that is all.

Tags
generation, machines