Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 12-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Recruit

Default We need help!

Greetings-
My name is Adam. I have a 5 year old Pit Bull Mix named Choco. I have had him since he was 3 weeks old. When we got him he was living in the mud under a trailer. He had mange, mites and was missing large patches of hair when he was a puppy, but many Vet visits later he has grown into a beautiful loving dog. He is in very good health now, except he suffers from idiopathic epilepsy, which causes seizures.
I have always done my best to train him properly, but now I think I may not have been strict enough and spoiled him too much. He has always had resource guarding issues, being very defensive if I ever needed to take something away from him he wanted to keep.
Recently my girlfriend and I made a change in our lives and purchased a motorhome to travel the country filming a documentary about people and businesses trying new and creative solutions to deal with the economy. I decided to bring Choco with us, as he is such a great friend and good protector. We also brought Trixie, my girlfriend’s 12 pound mini-Dachshund who has a big crush on Choco; they get along great and they play and sleep together.
We think traveling has been a challenge for Choco and that he’s had difficulty adjusting to the changes. It seems Choco feels a constant need to protect the RV, plus we are in a new place every 2 or 3 days. The constant change of environment seems to keep him on edge and on guard all the time. Also, I understand that him being separated from his siblings and parent so early on may contribute to behavior problems.
On December 1st, he was chewing on a rawhide bone and we noticed some blood, as if he had cut the inside of his mouth. I tried to take the bone away so he wouldn’t continue hurting himself, and covered my hands and arms with a leather jacket as I knew he would be protective of it. This time though, he snapped at my face, and bit off part of my lip and side of my mouth.
I never imagined he would do such a thing to me. Maybe these different factors have led him to not see me as an authority figure, or if he even meant to do this at all. Since he bit me, of all people, we feel like he needs to be professionally evaluated and trained by someone experienced and qualified to work with dogs that have attacked humans.

I am desperately trying to find someone who can help -- offer information, pass my information to others, refer me to someone who can help, etc. I know what will happen if I take him to a regular shelter and put him up for adoption. Obviously I can not simply put him up for adoption now that he has a bite history. Please share any ideas or information that may be helpful. Ideally I would like to re-home Choco with someone in an environment that will help him overcome his challenges, but I am starting to get very discouraged about finding the ideal situation.

This link has some pictures of Choco and Trixie if you would like to see him: http://www.flickr.com/photos/4250675...7622944154226/

Thank you so much
Adam
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote

Tags
adoption, foster, pit bull, rehoming