Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 08-05-2007, 09:38 AM
Recruit

Default Re: Tattoo apprenticeships as defined by the APT

Although I did enter my apprenticeship with no tattoos I do have to agree with you. I didn't feel any connection at all with any clients in the studio.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Disfigured Member
Private

I Was tattooed before I started my apprenticeship...
I also had Airbrushed for 15 years and could actually draw.
After 1 year and 3 months into my apprenticeship i know the trial and error
route would have been the wrong way to go.
even after reading countless books, dismembering and reassembling machines
I'm sure there is a lifetime of learning that needs 2 be done.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:14 PM
the cap'm
Corporal

In Oregon here, it is illegal to apprentice someone the correct, traditional way. You have to open a "school" and that costs so much that people usually take on about five to ten "students" at a time to keep up with the costs.

It's total bulls&!t, I hate it, been trying to figure out my loopholes since I got here (I've got a potential app waiting for the last year, she's very motivated and patient) but these guys can charge like 15 grand and teach them nearly nothing, then those kids can legally tattoo here....it bites my ass
Old 08-08-2007, 09:21 AM
Private

Damn.....I had it rough. I worked from 6am until 1pm at a terrible warehouse job then apprenticed from 2pm until 10pm for 2 yrs. Now after my 7th year of tattooing I can see how some people suggest 3yrs. I always had the fear that if I messed up, one of my fellow artists would beat the crap out of me. That seemed to help me alot.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 AM
Field Marshal

hahahahahhaa

and ps - reasonanteye that blows hard! wow! cant you just do it gangsta style?
Old 08-19-2007, 05:46 PM
the cap'm
Corporal

that's how it's gotta be

it sucks, there's like ten "schools" each with at least two or three "students" just in this one small town

most of them get set loose once they get their "papers" and then roam around with their sad portfolios, trying to get a job, they end up working at a s&!t shop or out of their house

but it's f@#king legal those motherf@#kers, arrrgh

they don't know a damn thing when they're done 99% of them would need a whole new apprenticeship too. It's really sad and I hate it, there's one chick I wanna teach and I can't even have her at the shop, coworkers worry about the man catching her there etc

I don't blame them, I worry too so she's not really moving along as well as she could be, plus then I have to ship her out to another state to work for 2 years just so she can get her OR license

They teach people but don't hire them, I'd for s&!t's sake never teach anyone I wouldn't hire afterwards, that's the whole point right? teach someone who's a great artist to be even better and be able to tattoo, then work with them; not teach ten people then turn em loose with no job or experience

it chaps my nuts raw, been tearing my hair out since I moved here actually

but the people who were on the health board's vote list and helped write the law run these "schools" so there's not a lot to be done...yet...at the moment...*secret plans have been formed* ... but it'll be forever before any of it changes
Old 08-21-2007, 03:16 PM
Field Marshal

wierd???? send her to us?

we are hiring ONE apprentice NOW - matts cell is 678 760 8252 for info for anyone who wants in?

Tags
apprenticeships, apt, defined, tattoo