Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 09-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Recruit

Default Can anyone help me??

I am trying to write an essay for my English class and I chose to write it arguing against Breed Specific Laws.I'm looking for any helpful information on Breed Specific Laws.Any tips are greatly apreciated!!Thanks!!!

Last edited by shar86401; 09-18-2008 at 01:41 PM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 01:10 PM
I know Brandon Sucks IRL
Corporal

Default Re: Can anyone help me??

I don't know that any website you found with such statistical information would be at all credible as far as conclusive results. It's much like racial profiling in saying that a black man is more likely to commit a crime than a white man. All dogs bite, but actual reported incidents tend to malign various breeds based off of 'popular' perception of them.

Dogs, just like people, are products of their environment. We have instincts, our gut reaction, that tell us to do one thing, but through the training of our parents and society we are 'domesticated' into behaving out of character.

And despite the beatings I still bite.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008, 02:22 PM
I know Brandon Sucks IRL
Corporal

With your essay in mind, here's a list compiled by 'Animal People'

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Atta...%20Clifton.pdf

They state that 65% of the deaths were caused by pit bulls, Rottweilers, Presa Canarios and their mixes. They classify people with my particular views on dog bites as 'stubborn,' which I am, but then there are so many other circumstances that increase the potential for people getting bitten by 'strange dogs' that multiply the incidents occurring.
Having a large family-oriented dog that perceives a stranger encroaching on its territory as 'defending its home' is deemed irrelevant for the purposes of their study. Whether the poor dog who is amazing with children and bad with someone else coming into their yard without acquiescence is not taken into account.

Though only approx. 800k dog bites are reported each year it is estimated that there are around 4.7 million dog biting incidents that occur. I've personally been bitten more by small uppity dogs than by the breeds that are typically vilified, but then maybe I know better than to waltz into a yard with a dog I haven't met without permission. On the other hand, I was at a friend's house yesterday and his dog was freaking out on me no matter what I did, snapping and barking defensively despite prostrating myself on the floor and getting to his level and speaking gently. This same dog has jumped into my lap on a prior occasion and fawned for attention repeatedly. Just as dealing with anybody else you'll meet, you never know how they'll react with each encounter. Best to carry a few snausages in the car!

Good luck with your essay.
Old 09-19-2008, 05:15 PM
Recruit

been there done it.. wrote a a paper or 2 on BSL's for school the past few years. ill look through my stuff and see what i can get you.
Old 09-20-2008, 08:38 AM
Frisbee Dog Freak
Private

Check out the National Canine Research Counsel

http://www.nationalcanineresearchcouncil.com/
Old 09-20-2008, 05:05 PM
Private

I already wrote a paper on BSL for my English class where I go to college, and some good things to look into: HSUS, ASPCA, The American Temperament Society, and check to see if your school has academically approved databases. I would not advise using anything on the web with .com or .net, only .gov, .edu, and .org are typically accepted as academic. Try to avoid the web and encyclopedias (book or online). Newspapers are a valuable source of information regarding BSL, and look for logical fallacies in the oppositions thinking. If you have any questions just ask me, Im also pretty good in English, which is why I am a tutor for my college.
Old 09-23-2008, 12:27 PM
Field Marshal

throughout the two years we filmed "VICTORY TO THE UNDERDOG", we worked with hundreds of "fighting dogs" apbt's

I only was bitten once, on the last day of the last shoot...

by a doberman pincher.

not a pit bull

it was on the actor Michael Berrymans ranch, it was hilariously ironic.

no one was euthanized, and the sun came up the next morning.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:57 PM
Doesn't have a Title.
Private

My father works for the local newspaper, and I help him out by substituting a route or two if I'm in town. This day I'd brought my pit baby into town to take him for the walk. Along the route, a subscriber's bird dog decided to tear into my paper bag and through a couple of the papers. BuBu helped me out and got his dog off me, then the owner came and asked if everything was okay. Luckily neither of us were bit.

And to think, Pit Bulls are illegal there!