Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 04-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Private

Default Is 10 years enough?

Is 10 years enough to reach the top of the tattoo world? It seems in most art forms the 'greats' have gotten there inside of 10 years. Most of the time it's less than 5 years!

Guys like Mike Devries, Brandon Bond, Jesse Smith, Dave Tedder, Tim Victim had been tattooing a relatively very short time and were quickly acknowledged for their greatness.

Is it fair to say that 10 years is enough to reach your potential? If you are truly a world-class tattooist, would it be evident in 10 years time? Do you know of any examples where someone has taken longer than 10 years to reach world-class status? And I don't mean world-class as in well-known. I mean it in the sense of the quality of the work they do.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:42 AM
Platoon Sargent

Default Re: Is 10 years enough?

To make it in tattooing, you have to be very talented and work your freaking ass off.

My guess is that if you have not peaked by age 30 or so...it may never happen.

Mathematics in the same way...almost every great mathematical theorem or proof in recorded history was done by a mathematician who was age 30 or less, the exception being Andew Wiles proof of Fermat's Enigma...which was a problem that stumped the best minds in math for 500 years.

Math and tattooing are similar in those regards....to be successful you need to be both talented and extremely driven.

This is just my opinion, as someone who is not a tattoo artist, but who loves the art.

http://www.inkednation.com/parabellum9x19
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Private

Parabellum, we seem to be in agreement, however, my criteria for being great does not necessarily equate to being 'famous' or wealthy. I have much looser criteria. Being great to me means producing artwork that is within the highest 5% or so capable in the world.

The analogy I use is musicianship. I know of some great musicians that aren't famous, and then we have folks like Britney Spears and such...
Old 04-13-2007, 12:16 PM
Topshelftattoo

well i've een tattooing for 12 yrs now and just started using more flats and mags (encouraged by some friends and brandon so i'm on the edge of a new level. i turn 30 in may..sooooo.... does that mean i have a month to peak? hahahahahaha as long as you still enjoy it everyday no matter how "robotic" it feels than you are successful for doin what you love
Old 04-13-2007, 01:38 PM
resident retard
Field Marshal

crap... I peaked before I ever started tattooing, well at least I have my sexual peak to look forward to
Old 04-13-2007, 02:27 PM
Private

I feel I get better everyday....I hope I continue to...I hope I never peak with my talents...I have not been tattooing long at all and I know I have YEARS ahead of me to learn and evolve....But I do agree...You have to have raw talent and be driven as hell....I honestly believe I was born to tattoo... and everyday people comment on my work but I know I can always do better... Im my own worst critic and never satisfied....I hope I never lose that.... And I love when people use constructive criticism on my work (from other TALENTED artists)....it just helps the learning move along more.... (hence why I joined here)...plus you guys rock!

I dont think you can really put an age on talent levels though....

Just my opinion
Old 04-13-2007, 02:47 PM
The Chocha Choker
Corporal

Well Im learning to tattoo myself but I been drawing since I was a lil kid...Im 28 and im a damn good artist now...but I was also pretty damn good when I was in high school..I graduated at 17....Am I world class? Naw...but im far from a scrub and Im better now as an artist than I was then 11 years ago...and I keep getting better, im trying to expand into other types and styles of art...which in turn keeps me growing and helps me out in another form some kind of way...I can't agree with the 10 year theory..but I do feel that you do have to the talent naturally and be driven.

Not a bad topic bruh!
he'll even tell you how I packed a #2 pencil......
Old 04-13-2007, 04:42 PM
Platoon Sargent

I hope it was clear that I was only pointing out a trend...NOT saying that no one over 30 can produce rocking ink.

And you are right...there is a huge difference between artistic success and fame. Van Gogh hung some of his (presumed) best works in the forest to rot forever...no one but him saw them.

Kore Flatmo is a perfect example. He is not very well known in the tattoo community (to my knowledge) and his work is *outstanding*. Fame seems to be a function of both talent and promotion...and not all artists are willing or as capable of self promotion as Brandon.

Kore: http://www.plurabella.com

http://www.inkednation.com/parabellum9x19
Old 04-13-2007, 05:13 PM
Topshelftattoo

don't worry just givin u crap
Old 04-14-2007, 02:48 AM
toilet snake
Private

first of all "reaching the top" means what? you cant get any better?

there is no such thing.

the top 5% according to who? your 5 favorite artists are different than mine... does that mean the guys you prefer are better? I doubt it.

Kore Flatmo is extremely well known IN the tattoo community... he isnt as well known OUTSIDE of the tattoo community because he doesnt jump up and down and scream LOOK AT ME!!!! every chance he gets.

most guys I speak to today are more worried about how to get published than they are about doing clean original work.

"My guess is that if you have not peaked by age 30 or so...it may never happen."... cmon man... do you really believe this?

Age... articles... wealth... its all irrelevant when the topic is quality.

Tags
years