Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 08-27-2008, 07:05 PM
Field Marshal

Default New Interview! 9-1-8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Q.) How would you describe your evolution as an artist? Have you gone through many "phases"?

A.) All art is on an evolutionary journey or it becomes stagnant. I have been through both experiences a vast number of times in my life - sometimes it comes like FIRE and other times, there just too many distractions.

Q.) Tell us about the business end of being a tattooist. How do you promote your work? Have the ways you handle promotion changed through the years?

A.) We promote our work as hard as we can. Television, films, DVDs, websites, mailing lists, youtube, really a zillion ways. It has changed because outlets for promotion have changed. When I started tattooing there WAS NO INTERNET. Now there is a zillion myspaces, facebooks, inkednations etc. We have adjusted with the times for sure.

Q.) Where does the business side of tattooing intersect with the creative side?

A.) Its fluid, and frustrating for sure. I am an artist first yes, but if you looked at my schedule book, you might wonder? I think that is the problem in a lot of studios - the owner is either a great artist and a bad business man or a great businessman and a terrible artists. Or even worse is a studio owned by someone who is NOT an artist. That never works. Not for the artists anyways. Its an uncomfortable intersection for many people and crews. I think what has made us so sucessful is in part simply finding a way to accomplish BOTH good business and customer service while accomplishing and extremely high level of art consistently.

Q.) Does one get in the way of the other?

A.) YES, every single waking moment the two are opposing forces. Driving me nutz! Its the most frustrating part of my daily life. I hate being a business man and dealing with suits and accountants and lawyers and real estate wierdos, and advertisers, ohhhh the advertisers, it sucks.

Q.) What about your family life?

A.) I love tattooing, and I have given everything I have to tattooing. It has saved my life but at the same time it has destroyed my life. I run 4 businesses which is 4 full time jobs, and I still tattoo a full schedule of over 40 hours a week, The cost has been immense, my family life, my marriage, my sanity, my friendships all have suffered for "the greater good". I am spread way to thin, and am desperately trying to find some kind of balance. I have not found it yet, if anything it's getting worse. The hours I am working are ridiculous.

Q.) How does that intersect with your view of yourself as an artist? Or your social life?

A.) What social life? I used to have friends and go to football games and party and stuff, recently there has been NONE of that. I am grateful for all the success but the demands on my time and my patience are outgrowing my ability to keep up at this point, and have been doing so for way too long. Its time for a change in my life for sure. We are working towards that now.

Q.) When you're not tattooing, what do you like to do?

A.) Your asking that on a day that I am working and haven't had a day off in 2 months... so now is a rough time to answer that. I do like to spend time with my dogs, and I like to wreck my golfcart. Other than that I'm always working on something.

Q.) Where are you from? Where did you grow up? How has that place shaped you?

A.) I grew up on an island named "Perdido Key" which is Spanish for "Lost Island" I grew up on the beach back when no one was around no condos, no people, so I became very good at entertaining myself and living in a sort of solitude like state. There were no kids on the island except my family. I created art all the time, more so then than now. That amazing situation to grow up in taught me a lot, and my parents are both incredible and supportive, so I was blessed for sure.

Q.) Where do you live and work now? How did you end up there?

A.) Atlanta, GA... where the playaz play. The airport in Atlanta is one of the biggest in the country, and the gun laws in GA are supperb! ha! The truth is I knew that we would have a LOT of "out of state" and international clientele, we offer airport shuttle services, hotel, food, arrangements, the whole shabang. And with Atlanta everyone can get a direct flight in easily and affordably.

I love Atlanta, the changing seasons, the southern vibe, the music and big rims, all the sports teams, and the people are awesome.

Q.) What is the tattoo scene like in the town where you live?

A.) Atlanta has an extremely large and diverse tattoo community. There are a lot of incredible shops here and some not so incredible ones as well. My guys are kept pretty busy with reworks and cover-ups for sure! There is such a huge tattoo industry here, its amazing though. I'm glad to be a part of it. I am friends with many other shop owners, and others dont seem to wanna be friends, its wierd.

Q.) Do you have a favorite piece that you've done? If so, what is it?

A.) I like the Devils Rejects sleeve I did, only because its based in images stolen from my favorite movie. And my client let me do whatever I wanted on him. That always makes for the best tattoo work. Artistic freedom, it's where it's at!

Q.) Do you see yourself changing as an artist?

A.) YES everyday! Art is a fluid journey or its a stagnant experience. The flow of new young and amazing artists at ALL OR NOTHING tattoo studio keeps me on my toes!! These kids are amazing! I do my best just to keep up with my staff. My newer works are unlike anything I have ever done, or seen. No one has seen the newest sleeves and stuff, because they are not complete yet. Im really into the latest stuff that Ive been working on, its an entirely different approach.

Q.) Have there been moments in your career when you felt you'd reached a plateau? If so, how did you move past that point?

A.) Yes, when I was touring way to much and running 2 businesses (at the time) and tattooing full time and All or Nothing was growing so fast... tattooing took a back seat for a minute, it had to for the whole. However, I believe that the crew that works here in Atlanta helps me through that, and Collaborative Tattooing always helps. The act of two artists working together on a piece always strengthens both artists. We do a LOT of two artists-one client style tattooing here.

Q.) What do you think makes your work stand out from other artists in the industry?

A.) It took a long time and a lot of work for people to be able to recognize my work simply by glancing at it. But yes I believe my work is recognizable now, both color work and black and grey.

Q.) Are there some techniques or characteristics of your tattoos that are unique to only you?

A.) Art is subjective so that's a hard question. However I have seen the style of artwork that we at All or Nothing were doing when we opened, GROW into a huge amount of common art, so I believe that our artwork has had a profound influence on the industry. Pick up a tattoo magazine and you will see what I'm talking about. Its awesome though! I'm not b1tc4ing at all, I think ts pretty cool.

Q.) Do you identify with a particular style or movement in tattooing?

A.) Well, I believe that we (All or Nothing) have had a large influence on contemporary styles, so I totally agree with it! It's based in OURS! But seriously, I am very excited about all the new art that's coming out, there is a Renaissance happening now in tattooing, and I'm glad to be a part of it.

Q.) What do you think of the tattoo industry today?

A.) I think its growing faster than anyone is willing to admit, I have seen nothing but growth for almost two decades, with no end in sight.

Q.) How do you think the industry is changing?

A.) I think the changes are too vast and numerous to list here! That's a whole separate interview. Artists are changing, clients are changing, shops are changing, promotions are changing, communication is changing, everything about what we thought we knew is changing. Its incredible, and extremely exciting. New technologies, young artists, new inks, new tattoo machines, new levels of art and saturation, everyday brings something different to adapt to and grow towards. Its the bees knees.

Q.) Do you go to many shows? If so, how does the traveling impact your life and your work?

A.) I toured nonstop for over a decade. Some years I did over thirty shows in only 52 weeks, which means being out of town more than every other week. One week home two, three, even four weeks on the road and back. Airports, hotels, rentacars, room service, guest appearances and guest spots, long hours, delayed flights, crazy women, partying and debauchery were rampant. It was an amazing time in my life, one that I will never forget. An experience that helped me to get my name out there more than any other. That part of my life is over now, my crew of amazingly talented tattoo artists from All or Nothing do the touring nowadays. They deserve the attention and my presence is simply a distraction to what they are doing. I stopped touring 2 years ago and will probably never do a tattoo anywhere on the road ever again. I had my fill of the madness, and enjoyed every second of it. My guys still attend at least 25 shows a year which means that every other week a couple of my guys are on the road to somewhere, tattooing at all hours of the day and night. More power to 'em! They are doing a great job winning awards, and doing great art without me. Hell, I'm learning from them now.

--
Brandon Bond

CEO/ALL OR NOTHING INC.

CEO/Stranglehold INC.

CEO/Double Or Nothing LLC

2569 South Cobb Dr. Suite A

Smyrna, GA 30080

(770) 435-9966

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.atlantatattootv.com
www.tattooingatlanta.com
www.antiartelite.com
www.antiartatlanta.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.brandonMFbond.com
www.davemftedder.com
www.imyourenemy.com
www.albierock.com
www.mjdunlap.com
www.chrisvennekamp.com
www.timorthtattoos.com
www.tattooingtheworld.com
www.antiartelite.net
www.myspace.com/brandonbond
www.myspace.com/brandonmfbond
www.myspace.com/atlantaart
www.myspace.com/antiartaon
www.myspace.com/strangleholdmerch
www.myspace.com/aonteam
www.h2ocean.com
www.h2oceanmodels.com
www.HARDNOXinc.com
www.kingpintattoosupply.com

Last edited by BRANDON BOND; 08-27-2008 at 07:11 PM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 06:48 AM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

Default Re: New Interview! 9-1-8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Love this Interview. Its not like all the other ones. I dig it sir.

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.vickdogmovie.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 03:28 PM
robhamilton

You are the damn Donald Trump of the tattoo industry man,,,Next time you wanna or get the chance to shoot a couple thousands rounds hit me up...i love blowin s&!t up.

Great interview, i agree gives a lot of insight to those of us that don't know you on that level.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:41 PM
Corporal

Thumbs up Re: New Interview! 9-1-8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
I Love this Interview. Its not like all the other ones. I dig it sir.
I totally agree!
Old 09-04-2008, 05:37 AM
Private

Yeah good interview - just once though when the touring question comes up I'd love to hear you say "yeah I've finished with that stuff, except for a couple of weeks when I head to AUSTRALIA to tattoo Linkage"
Hopefully before you retire I will be able to justify coming your way
Old 09-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Field Marshal

ahahahahahah - thats quite a drive bro hahaha
Old 09-05-2008, 07:50 AM
Field Marshal

Ive tattooed 4 people who flew in from Australia in 08 already? get on a plane.
Old 09-05-2008, 08:28 AM
Private

Yeah I've gotta start me an overseas travel account when I can.

In the interview you were talking about seeing some of your styles popping up in tattooing circles. Just the other day I was looking at an Aussie mag and thought "Geez that looks a lot like a BB style tattoo" Imitation is a form of flattery I reckon.

Tags
interview