Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > General Discussion

Old 08-05-2008, 01:44 PM
Private

Default MMA Buffs...

Is there any other artists on here that are involved in Mixed Martial Arts? I am looking to get so input from other artists and owners. I am a fighter and have been for almost 14 years. I recently ditched the boxing and went to MMA as a safer hand alternative. Anyone see a problem with that? My business partner is in his 60's, not a tattooer, not even associated with this industry other than he put the money up for me. He is worried I might break my hand doing this. But the way I look ar it, if I havent broken my hand as a boxer, I dont see it happening as an MMA fighter. I am doing this sh$t for fun and the publicity of the shop. I figure if I wear a shop shirt to my fights, have the name platered on my trunks, I should be able to get some more business out of it, what do you think? I do know that there is always a possability for injury in any contact sport, but should I just lay around and get fat because I own a shop?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 05:19 PM
Craig Harris
Corporal

Default Re: MMA Buffs...

I`d save my hands just in case i broke them or got my ass kicked lol, Sponsor a good fighter with a good rep and make him wear your logo etc.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 06:18 PM
Field Marshal

i dont tattoo but with out my hands id go broke too.... i love to box, have never broken my hand to the point i couldnt work, ive broken pinky and ring fingers and a toe once, but i agree sponsor a fighter and hook him or her up with shop stuff and tattoos!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 02:42 AM
THE JAGERMASTER
Corporal

i used to train mma religiously until i started tattooing...i have broken both hands probably a total of 25 times since i was 12 strictly from hitting things....people....whatever. but ya your hand is more likely to break in mma than boxing due to the thickness of the gloves. the point of the gloves is to increase the impact of the blow and physics tells you as hard as you hit something....it pretty much hits you back just as hard and with the little padding provided by mma gloves....you are very vulnerable to broken hands. i hung up my gloves about a year ago but i still like jiu jitsu....less trauma to the hands and actually gets you in better shape. since you are just doing the mma for fun and publicity....sponsor a fighter. dont jepordize your career over it.and if you are worried about getting fat...aerobics and jiu jitsu should help.

http://www.myspace.com/jonathonwant
Old 08-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Private

Im a blue belt in BJJ (Brazilian Jiu Jitsu) and an experienced MT practicioner I came in second at NAGA expert teen division a few years ago and have had 1 in gym Amateur MT bout I have never broken my hand training MMA or jits but can tell you as Im sure you know fighters break their hands all the time think about it we train and fight with 4 oz gloves in MMA when all other striking arts use 16oz gloves thats a big difference in padding all it takes is one well thrown punch landing on a guys forehead and just like that your hands shattered Im not going to tell you what to do because there are fighters that do both (see Mike Nickels) in the end its up to you is the risk worth it.

http://www.sherdog.com/fighter/Mike-Nickels-11278

^ Mike Nickels I know he was an artist but am not sure if he still practices.
Old 08-09-2008, 06:52 PM
Private

Hell, I dunno much about MMA fighting, other than what I've seen on TV, but I do see a lot of hardcore arm locks, wrist locks, etc, that look like they'd wrench the living s&!t out of your elbow or wrist...so yea, A broken hand may not happen to ya, but a torn ligament or snapped tendon could put you down for quite a while...possibly even cause some permanent damage.
Just be careful bro!!

Tags
buffs, mma