Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > General Discussion

Old 11-04-2007, 03:49 PM
Field Marshal

Default Interview with the new apprentice WHO IS A GIRL!

Di Quartel - 27 Years Old
All or Nothing Tattoo Apprentice

Why Tattoo?

I have always been seriously into tattoos, and have always considered myself to be very artistic. After spending a decade working bulls&!t retail managment jobs I knew it was time for a major change. I wanted a career where I could be creative while not being forced to conform my image to fit in with corporate America.

Why All Or Nothing?

Have you seen the talent here? These guys are some of the best in the industry. It's both motivating and intimidating at the same time. On top of the quality of the artists here we get to learn the buisness aspects of the industry. When I leave here I will not only know how to tattoo, but will also be able to run a clean and profitable shop if I wanted to.

What is your previous Art background?

My first love in the form of art media was photography. I got into it in high school and very quickly developed a passion for B&W pinups, as well as hand colored B&W landscapes. I briefly went to the Art Institute of Atlanta for their photographic imaging program, but soon learned that they teach you how to sell yourself on a mainstream commercial level more than they teach you about art. It really burnt me out and I didn't touch my camera gear for a couple of years as a result. I've spent a lot of time making a mess with oil pastels, but I really didn't start drawing regularly until earlier this year. I took a couple of drawing classes over the summer, but I am definately learning more by comming to AoN every day.

How do you feel about working in an industry that is typically male dominated?

Empowered. I know that I am just as tough and as capable as any of the boys. I can honestly say I would rather work with a bunch of dudes then a bunch of girlie-girls as the back-biting drama bulls&!t factor is way less. I knew going into this adventure that I would have to prove myself, but I was excited about that. I think the industry might be becoming a bit more female friendly, but I would still be here if that wasn't the case. I admit I enjoy the rough housing and the hazing that goes on here, well, most of it anyways. I am glad most of the guys here treat me like an apprentice, not a "female apprentice".

Are there any artists here that particularly inspire you?

Tim Orth is definately at the top of the list. His pin-ups are so f@#king hot I think might be the cause of global warming. I think that my previous love of pin-ups made his work stand out to me, and he is definately one of the main reasons I started looking into AoN. I am also very inspired by... um, this could go on forever. f@#k it! I can honestly say that every artist here inspires the hell out of me. Even some of the apprentices inspire me.

What's your favorite style of tattoo?

I am a huge realism fan, especially pin-ups, be they old school cheesecake Elvgren style stuff, or more modern babes. I am also really into traditional japenese at the moment, but I definately prefer human characters such as geisha and samurai over dragons and koi. My favorite styles change constantly, so ask me again in a month and see what I say.

What kind of reaction did your family have to your career choice?

Wow, I am one lucky girl. My entire family is so supportive of my decision. My baby sis, Allie-Cat, is actually considering becomming a tattooer as well. My hubby, Christopher, and my Daddio are both itching to get me through this aprenticeship so I can start tattooing them. My best friend, aka my Mother, is happy to see me doing something serious that I can be happy doing for the rest of my life. Even my grandparents are excited for me and ask a lot of questions. Everyone should have a family as awesome as mine.

What do you think about the location of AON?

I am an Atlanta girl down to my soul, so I have to thank Brandon for opening this kick ass shop less than 20 miles from home. I think that this shop helps bring on some good ole' southern pride. They may call it the dirty south, but the work comming out of AoN is super clean.

Where do you see yourself in 5 years? 15?

In 5 years I hope to be working at a shop that has artists even half as cool as the guys here, while still having the ability to do guest spots in as many other locations as possible. This industry has a lot of travel options, and I plan to take advantage of that. I want to always work with artists better than myself, because I never want to stop learning and improving. Shop ownership and managment don't seem appealng to me the way things stand now. I've spent enough time as the boss in previous jobs, and I would rather have fun. I'm not in this for the money, but I am hoping in 15 years I will be working on a pseudo retirement. I want to be sitting on a beach somewhere drinking pitchers of Paulaner with a slice of orange, and tattooing when I am feeling artistic.

Any Final Remarks?

I am so grateful for this opportunity. I have to thank everyone: Brandon for being the insane genius mastermind behind AoN, Dave Mother f@#king Tedder for thinking I seemed "like a nice young girl" (which I found to be too f@#king funny) and giving me the chance to be here, Jeff P for being the first to treat me like one of the guys and introducing me to the snow wizards, Sean H for just being a cool motherf@#ker, Tim Orth for his super hot babes and for the rocket car, Josh W for his crazy new school style that is like nothing I have ever seen, Chris V for making me re-live all of my favorite scary movies every time I look through his portfolio, Brian R for being pretty damn brutally honest about everything, Jay R for his amazing versatility that shows you don't have to limit yourself to one style, Short for his awesome laid-back southern disposition, Max B for being one funny son of a b1tc4 (even if he thinks I look like Harry Potter). All of the other apprentices here deserve mad respect as well, but I'm taking up too much space already, so I'm just gonna' trust you readers out there to watch out for these guys in the next few years, they're gonna be bustin' out and rocking it. I also have to throw out a thanks to most of the guest artists we've had here. I've already met some cool ass tattooers from all over, like Bird, who is even cooler than his car is.

One last thanks to throw out. Suicide Girls rock so f@#king hard. Thanks for helping to redefine the standards of what makes a woman beautiful. Ya'll are awesome.

And remember:

ALL OR NOTHING - b1tc4ES
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 03:50 PM
Field Marshal

Default Re: Interview with the new apprentice WHO IS A GIRL!

great interview....
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:39 AM
Recruit

More than an apprentice, more than a girl, she's also currently 'King' of the Arcade...

/cough

AoN has all the talent!
Old 11-08-2007, 10:53 AM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by

AoN has [B
all [/B]the talent!

thats very true.
Old 11-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Corporal

We welcome Di,
Sounds like shes got you guys figured out pretty well. I recently saw some of Scotts paiting and was blown away, hope we get to checkout some of Di's work too.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:38 AM
Corporal

So is the industry still dominated by men? Hopefully with the popularity of LA ink (no matter if you like or hate the show) and the great female talent there more women will get into it.
Old 11-17-2007, 01:32 AM
Recruit

For sure it's still dominated by men. There are definitely a lot of girlie tattooers out there, but no where near as many as there are the guys. I don't think it makes a real difference in the way I'm treated (an apprentice is an apprentice after all) but out of the fairly large group of both artists and apprentices in the shop every day, I'm the only one wearing a bra. (i think...)

Oh yeah, Thanks for the warm welcome
Old 11-17-2007, 07:38 AM
Topshelftattoo

i don'y know they were calling scott "clarice" when i was there!hahahah
Old 11-18-2007, 04:52 AM
the cap'm
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di Quartel View Post
For sure it's still dominated by men. There are definitely a lot of girlie tattooers out there, but no where near as many as there are the guys. I don't think it makes a real difference in the way I'm treated (an apprentice is an apprentice after all) but out of the fairly large group of both artists and apprentices in the shop every day, I'm the only one wearing a bra. (i think...)

Oh yeah, Thanks for the warm welcome

LOL @ "girlie" bwa HAHAHahahaha

yeah just give it a few years, you'll see. I swear the woman artists I know that are any good are worse than the men
Old 11-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Field Marshal

anj is a ho

Tags
apprentice, girl, interview