Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 12-26-2009, 06:38 PM
Scott Barriger
Corporal

Default Re: Need Advice on a White Tattoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by -42- View Post
ummm....the point in getting a tattoo is to show it, so going for subtle doesn't make any sense. As far as color letters, the guys have said it, you'll still have problems. Black is, and will be your best option. You've chosen a bold font, and put it in the crease on your wrist. Yup, could've seen that heal coming from a mile. If you want a tattoo, get a better artist to do it, and be willing to be flexible as far as design. Remember, you're not the artist, the guy doing the tattoo is.
"4) If you think I should steer away from white ink, what color would you suggest other than black? I say that because I know I don't want black ink on my pale skin, I think its too harsh of a contrast.... hence why I went with white ink. I've seen plenty of pictures of white ink that has healed perfectly and beautifully, what went wrong with mine?"
I really don't get this. Contrast is one of the MOST important factors in a good tattoo. Not enough contrast will always go to s&!t. Maybe not right away, but eventually. This quote really bothers me. This is what an "educated" public gets us. Hell, this white tattoo is what "educating" artists is getting us. This shouldn't have even been attempted, and for more than one reason.
1. This was a dumb idea from the get go
2. You've only seen pictures of white healed. Bet you've never seen one in person, the internet isn't real life.
3. This artist completely lied to you regardless of his great portfolio
4 This is a classic case of tattooing just for the money.
5 This is a classic case of people getting tattooed, that probably shouldn't be getting tattooed.
etc, etc,etc.

I really don't wanna sound like an ass, but why are you so concerned with not getting black ink??? Why get tattooed at all??? From the way this sounds, perhaps you would be better with a piercing, at least you can take that out. Remember, this is not a fashion accessory, it's for the rest of your life. Tattoos are forever. Get it done right the first time. You seem pretty dead set on what you want, but I'm here to tell you that what you want will not translate well for a tattoo, let alone a tattoo 5,6, 10 years down the road. If you walked into my shop for this tattoo, thats exactly what I would tell you before i let you know that I wouldn't tattoo this.

All in all, this is one of the most ridiculous problems that has come up here lately. A lot of tattooers need to get their s&!t straight and quit playing artist or d**king around on other people's skin. They need to do solid tattoos, period. Customers, need to quit acting like they know what's up. You don't tattoo, and most of your reference for these ideas is from some highly photoshopped pic that has to be real, cause it's on the internet!!! It really all just one big circle of retarded. People see one dumb ass that got some tattoo done, so they want it. The artist doesn't wanna feel inferior, or let money walk out of the door, so he does it. This equals more stupid pictures for more stupid people to look at. Hence, the circle. It really boils down to "everyone gets the tattoo they deserve".

Once again, sorry for the rant, but it had to be said. I really hope you get a great tattoo and mean you no ill will. Best of luck to ya, and happy new year. Hope yours is a good one.

^^^^^^^^^This made me smile.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 08:12 PM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

I'm picturing that greywash idea in my head, and it looks awesome. Almost spectral.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:56 PM
Scott Barriger
Corporal

yeah, i just dont see it holding up over time though, better than flat white obviously, and with a dropshadow maybe a little while longer, but after 10 years i just dont see it holding up.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:52 AM
Platoon Sargent

42 - I don't have as big an issue with the artist as you. It sounds like he warned her of the problems and she thought she knew better than him because she saw it on the internet. I place 100% blame on the person demanding such a tattoo. Some people just don't listen and only hear what they want to hear.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Platoon Sargent

I hope I don't sound like a racist or too cynical but she shouldn't have went for the bi-racial tattoo idea. These things were original at one time, but that was 2 million tattoos ago. She was advised against doing it but she gambled and lost and now is unhappy with the results. She should have listened to her artist and went with a tattoo that actually works instead of a nifty idea that often has terrible results.
Old 12-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Corporal

white on white. such a good idea. bwahahahahahaha
Old 12-28-2009, 09:27 AM
scruffy nerf herder
Corporal

bottom line, it should not have been done. where i the responsibility of the artist not to turn out s&!t like this? tattoos with colored outlines dont look good, they dont age well (i know, i know, but we are talking small tattoos not huge color pieces with contrast n such) the only way this thing is ever going to look good is if it is gone over in black. accept it. there are rules to tattooing for a reason. i deal with this s&!t 6 times a week, and in the end i do them black. if only so i dont have to deal with people coming back and complaining.

and as far as a greywash lettering....are you high? its jut gonna look like it faded to s&!t. black outline with greywash gradient and whit highlights? f@#k sure! great!

you do have options here to fix this thing (i mean you basically have nothing now) but they will all involve, at the minimum, a black outline.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:09 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickradsean View Post
bottom line, it should not have been done. where i the responsibility of the artist not to turn out s&!t like this? tattoos with colored outlines dont look good, they dont age well (i know, i know, but we are talking small tattoos not huge color pieces with contrast n such) the only way this thing is ever going to look good is if it is gone over in black. accept it. there are rules to tattooing for a reason. i deal with this s&!t 6 times a week, and in the end i do them black. if only so i dont have to deal with people coming back and complaining.

and as far as a greywash lettering....are you high? its jut gonna look like it faded to s&!t. black outline with greywash gradient and whit highlights? f@#k sure! great!

you do have options here to fix this thing (i mean you basically have nothing now) but they will all involve, at the minimum, a black outline.
this is great. Deran, this is what I mean. The artist may have "warned" her, but he still put crap on her. There's no excuse for that.
Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 PM
Recruit

wow... I'm real disappointed with half the responses posted.

First of all, IT'S MY BODY I WILL DO WITH IT WHAT I PLEASE.
I really thought that people with tattoo's would understand and respect that.

Second, I'm not blaming anyone for my tattoo failures/ misconceptions.... Sure there were things that could have been done differently but weren't and can't change that now. I am in no way blaming the artist for doing the tattoo and I'm not blaming my self for the tattoo (or the idea). He told me from the beginning that every person's skin takes ink and heals differently, so wouldn't that be the case for anyone getting a tattoo?? From my understanding all tattoo's need upkeep and maintenance through out time, and if I want one of in a color that will take extra care, fine I'm up for that. Of course I don't know better than the artist, I've never tattooed anyone and don't have any other tattoos.

Third, I came on here to get advise... I never thought I would get some of the rude responses that were posted. It's my body, I'll get whatever tattoo I want, whatever color I want, and where ever I want it.

And whoever wants to insult me or my idea please take it somewhere else, thats not what I came here for.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:13 AM
Platoon Sargent

yeah, shame on you guys.

Tags
advice, tattoo, white