Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 01-14-2008, 12:52 PM
Recruit

Default Re: Kitchen Cowboys getting to much info

Well, we can either keep isolated about it, or deal with it. Honestly I dont think it matters how much they know on here that they will still never get anywhere with it and hopefully eventually realize that and stop doing it.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Private

there allways gonna keep doing it i know.
but like said b4 its more the cross contamination and steril procedures that concern me. its also funny i was talking to my local health board and they were saying its bothers them how by law people can tattoo out of there house and not need a bussiness license or to be health board approved but shops need that. i have been in many scary shops and just because you work in a shop doesnt mean its safe. i was in a shop who got ahold of me wanting me to do a guest spot in a town 2 hours away from me and i walked in there shop and the floor was covered in carpet thru the whole shop (scary !!!) they didnt have an autoclave and they were telling me that bleech is the sterilizer and surface cleaner. i couldnt belive it. whell i can and i know theres more shops like this out there that are doing s&!t thats horrible and its funny cause they all think everything is clean and safe just cause they have a tattoo shop. anyone can get a bussiness license and pretend they know everything there is to know.

its awsome when people like brandon say even they have lernt stuff off this message board. people who think there the best they can be will never progress and limit themselve to stuggle. i find most of my customers are starting to be a little more educated in the past while then they were in the past years witch is nice when i hear someone caame to me cause they herd that we run a safe shop and have had some bad past expierences.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 01:08 PM
Private

its also scary how shops like the one with carpet thru the whole shop are still open i find some and most health board workers dont know much about the subject or profession either.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:10 PM
Private

on a random note im pumped to go back to vegas and get the rest of my throat finished by OPIE at Studio 21 in Las Vegas. anyone going to be attending the las vegas convention this year ???
Old 01-14-2008, 01:12 PM
Austina Obscure
Corporal

i wish i was going.. i have bad ocd when it comes to getting on planes so i'd have to drive... and can't get enough time away from work to do that so.. have fun :0)
Old 01-14-2008, 01:20 PM
Private

check out Studio 21 Tattoo's web site
they are a group of super friendly tattoo artists
family owned and opperated

www.studio21tattoo.com

Opies the man who started and is finishing my neck
i live in northern canada and still travel to see him to finish work
that and i love vegas been there way to many times. fun place to party.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
Austina Obscure
Corporal

wow... they have a really cool site.. i like that "responsibility" pledge.. that is f'in awesome.. i'd love to go to vegas... my gf's uncle lives there and tells us we can come and stay as long as we want.. i just am a big baby with bein high in the sky....lol.. maybe someday i'll lose my wimp....
Old 01-14-2008, 02:34 PM
Private

super nice people nice clean shop and its family run and owned.
cant wait to get opie to work on my neck some more.
Old 01-15-2008, 05:59 PM
Corporal

I work on some of my close friends out of my house once in a while but I follow all safety and sterilization procedures, never charge and dont tattoo on anyone who is not a close friend from there. DO you feel this is wrong. I have went through an apprenticeship, one in prison and one out from very respectable artists both times, and I tattoo out of a shop also just dont want to wast shop time or equipment doing friends favors. Plus it gives me a little more room for creativity when they just let me go to town with my own designs.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:06 AM
Field Marshal

It sucks to say this but there is honestly nothing anyone can do about it, "it" meaning people tattooing out of there houses. I used to live in Philly where there are more shops than there is time for me to list them. Philly also has some of the most strict laws on tattooing and thankfully the powers to be put the board of health and public safety in charge of that. After attending the seminars and courses that the Philly BOH had to offer it's scary what conditions some people tattoo out of. I've also personally seen many shops in the area that violate the health aspects, my biggest pet peeve is allowing smoking in a shop. The BOH does have the power to shut down home run tattooing outfits and they do, they'll even go so far as to condemn the house for a period of time and take the equipment, but for every one they shut down theres 5 more waiting to pop up. But this is an aspect of the industry that has always existed and it will never stop no matter what laws are passed.

Having said that I want to know peoples opinions on properly set up operations that follow all health and safety standards in the home. I hope everyone will agree with me that Guy Aitchison and Michelle Wortman are amazing artists. Hyperspace studios was set up in their home specifically to get away from having a "shop".

I think it's the industries responsiblity to educate. The people already strict supporters of well known, respectable, and responsible shops are not who need to be targeted. It's the people that don't know that need the education on the dangers of unsafe tattooing practices. Postings on here and other boards will never change that. Even tattooartists.org has a large volume of "artists" that are working out of kitchens. Just look you'll see the refrigerator in the background and needless to say their work speaks for itself.

The industry needs someone like Brandon (sorry to imply adding more to your plate) who has already had larger national exposure to start this revolution. Get the newspapers and magazines to start writing articles on the dangers of this. If we keep just talking about this kind of topic on boards, in magazines, at conventions, and only in the tattooing community nothing will ever change. Most everyone in the tattooing community knows about these dangers and wants to change them, but the education of the "consumer" is what really needs to happen.

So lets stand up as one, contact your local paper and lets see if we can't get some articles out exposing the dangers of s&!tty health practices. Most towns and cities governing body for the board of health should gladly take part in this. If possible lets target some nationwide papers and magazines. I'm always seeing articles in Maxim and FHM about random s&!t like war, disease, and the like. If they were to publish articles, showing photos, giving real life testament to the dangers then thats a whole new group that will now know. And there's more than enough online ammunition to make a lasting impression on those who don't already know.

Tags
cowboys, info, kitchen