Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 03-23-2006, 02:46 PM
Recruit

Default Special inks?

Hey there. I am not a tattoo artist, but I am considering tattooing my dogs and eventually the puppies I breed. Some of them are already microchipped as well. (For those who don't know, both systems are used as a standard means of identification for both dogs and cats, as well as livestock, should they ever get lost or stolen.)

I have a flair for unusual colors and thought if they're going to get a tattoo code in one of their ears, I might as well make it "interesting". I was wondering if anyone here knew if holographic or iridescent tattoo ink is available anywhere. Something like that that could either be used by itself or be mixed with a normal-colored ink (green is typically what's used on dark-skinned dogs). I have never seen or heard of holographic or iridescent tattoo ink, but I can't imagine that it wouldn't exist. Any info would be much appreciated!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 08:27 AM
Corporal

Default tattooing animals

Saw this on another site,check it out http://www.centripedus.com/afa/pigtitle.html may have info
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:52 AM
Corporal

I'm a dog lover myself, and I have and idea for the design that would be cool, what about a flea going into the ear that would be different, jk
Old 03-25-2006, 10:44 AM
Platoon Sargent

I've known people who've tattooed their dogs. They have a vet there, they put the dog under and then tattoo them. As far as inks go, I wouldn't think that bright pigments would stay bright in a dogs skin. I would think that it would dull out pretty quick.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:35 AM
Recruit

Default Re: tattooing animals

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy
Saw this on another site,check it out http://www.centripedus.com/afa/pigtitle.html may have info
I didn't see any info on special inks there. Am I missing something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowe
I'm a dog lover myself, and I have and idea for the design that would be cool, what about a flea going into the ear that would be different, jk
I'm not looking to tattoo designs or anything like that onto my dogs. Just a few identification alphanumerics in the ear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanherman
As far as inks go, I wouldn't think that bright pigments would stay bright in a dogs skin. I would think that it would dull out pretty quick.
Why is that?

Also, the green is just a "regular" green color and is meant to stand out against dark skin (versus using black ink, which wouldn't show up well on a dark-skinned dog).

Mostly I am just looking for something sparkly to add to the green, I guess.

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:25 PM
Private

The indentifying marks inside the ear, don't always work. If a person is going to take the time and risk to steal the dogs, they can easily crop the ear, thus ridding the dog of your mark. Inside the thigh, by the stifle is a much better place for an identifying mark, no one is going to remove the leg.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:28 PM
Recruit

I would totally agree with you if my breed wasn't the dachshund (or another hound-looking dog or hound proper). I seriously doubt anyone would get money for an earless dachshund on the black market.
Old 03-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Private

Ah, I was assuming that you had a yard of APBT. Yeah, I guess the ear would work for your dogs.
Old 03-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Recruit

Anybody at all?
Old 03-28-2006, 12:44 AM
toilet snake
Private

there is some pigments that glow under black light but thats it.

that stuff is usually dull as hell until its hit with the black light though. you would not see it on dark skin without the light.

Im sure the pigment they use is black also... black pigment tends to look green under darker skin because the natural pigment of the skin tints the color trapped under it. we tattoo black people all the time who insist that their tattoos were done with green when they werent.

the top layers of skin would kill any type of shimmer anyway. take any drawing/painting and put a piece of tracing paper over it. this is basically what skin does to a tattoo...
AND... being that we are trapping a foreign material under you skin, which will get into your blood stream a bit, you want to make sure that material is NON TOXIC

for what its worth.

Tags
inks, special