Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 03-17-2008, 12:20 PM
www.JohnDameArt.com
Corporal

Default Flash and sketch books

Ok....

I am a tattoo artist out of florida and am wanting to know....

how do i get my sketchbooks published and how do i copyright my work aswell.

also along with tattoo flash.

if anyone knows please let me know.

my work is piling up
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:21 PM
Field Marshal

Default Re: Flash and sketch books

best bet is to invest in it yourself and get other artists to buy... until you're a big name it's gonna be almost impossible to get your s&!t published w/o independent funding
Old 03-17-2008, 03:28 PM
Field Marshal

get a book together at your local binding place, and mail promo copies to distributors (ie kingpin, snakeface, etc) I think I made copies and had them bound for like a buck and a half a book. Sell those puppies for 15 bucks and see what happens!

simpliest way to copyright something is put your originals in an envelope and mail it to yourself and leave em unopened. its true and works, apparently.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:59 PM
www.JohnDameArt.com
Corporal

ok...

im a little confused on the mailing part though
Old 03-17-2008, 04:36 PM
the cap'm
Corporal

ok. put copies of the material to be copyrighted in a well-sealed envelope (one that can't be opened and closed). send it to yourself, at your address, registered mail.

The reciept paper that they give you is your proof of copyright date. never open the envelope unless you are in court defending your copyright.

as far as publishing, get a sketchbook just about done, send a query letter to kingpin with a couple pages in it. they will say they are interested or not. if they are, finish assembling it and send it to them for printing. if they're not, finish it anyway and have it printed up at a local mom-and-pop print shop, (usually better quality cheaper than kinkos) and hock them at conventions or on teh interwebs.

of course you will do the copyright-by-mail trick before you submit your art to anyone, right? and mark each page with a small copyright symbol.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:25 PM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by resonanteye View Post
ok. put copies of the material to be copyrighted in a well-sealed envelope (one that can't be opened and closed). send it to yourself, at your address, registered mail.

The reciept paper that they give you is your proof of copyright date. never open the envelope unless you are in court defending your copyright.

as far as publishing, get a sketchbook just about done, send a query letter to kingpin with a couple pages in it. they will say they are interested or not. if they are, finish assembling it and send it to them for printing. if they're not, finish it anyway and have it printed up at a local mom-and-pop print shop, (usually better quality cheaper than kinkos) and hock them at conventions or on teh interwebs.

of course you will do the copyright-by-mail trick before you submit your art to anyone, right? and mark each page with a small copyright symbol.
thats pretty black and white...
copyright by mail works!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Not da Best, Not da Worst
Corporal

Poor mans copyright, does that hold up ? I was told that didn't work for music, didn't think about art though.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:27 AM
Asst to Brandon Bond
Field Marshal

maybe this could help?

http://www.arsny.com/index.html

All or Nothing Tattoo
Stranglehold Merchandise
2569 S. Cobb Dr.
Smyrna, Ga. 30080

www.allornothingtattoo.com
www.vickdogmovie.com
www.strangleholdmerch.com
www.atlantapitbullrescue.com
www.brandonbond.com
www.davemftedder.com

Old 03-18-2008, 10:30 AM
that guy
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenthale View Post
Poor mans copyright, does that hold up ? I was told that didn't work for music, didn't think about art though.
With music, the minute you record an original work it has an inherent copyright. The problem is proving a date. I was told by a copy center that it is illegal to reproduce anything that has the copyright symbol without documentation that you own the copyright. That does not stop some places from copying things but if you can prove they did then you will be able to sue for compensation.
Old 03-20-2008, 05:23 PM
the cap'm
Corporal

make your copies. then apply a handwritten copyright symbol. for those ones that you'll be submitting. for dropping off at a print shop, ask them before you label the pages. a few ethical places may ask you to put it on the pages in their presence... that works too.

usually if you're having them copy from original stuff, it isn't an issue. if you're asking them to copy from a copy that's when they get worried about it.

Tags
books, flash, sketch