Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 03-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Field Marshal

Default Alla Prima Inks, Tattoomachinez.com

Anyone tried or heard about the stuff Joshua Carlton has his hand in? The alla prima tattoo inks look pretty reliable, esp since Josh is making them,and his machines, I for a fact know that his craftmanship and machine kowledge is on par, BUT as far as machines I wonder if they are best with large mags and such...and just interested to know if anyones used the inks.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Private

Default Re: Alla Prima Inks, Tattoomachinez.com

i have his set of inks they are very thin and as to what he claims they are for doing color realism if you have watched his second set of videos he describes how to best use them but honestly they are a waste of money and they are the same as dynamic if you have ever used dynamic inks basically undiluted dispersions with a very large micro particle pigment count. I also have one of his large mag shaders for doing solid color the machine is a good machine but nothing special i prefer dringenberg machines and tim hendricks machines. any more questions feel free to ask.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Recruit

I was sent a free sample set of the Alla Prima inks and they're great. I've had zero problems with them. They're not a full set of inks. They're 3 color sets that are designed by Joshua and John Montgomery to get certain effects. It's a dark a light and a mid. Any self respecting artist will already know how to use them just fine and will probably already have a favorite combination of their own inks for these processes but they're good quality inks and they take the guess work out of certain processes. The black is great.

I also received one of Joshua's newest machines recently and I use it daily. It is extremely controllable speed wise and has an extremely short stroke so it will actually run everything from a 5 round to a VERY large mag smoothly and with little or no peppering.

Sure, nobody's reinvented the wheel here but they're good quality products and they're 100% by artists for artists. If you like the guy's work, throw him a bone and buy his stuff.

Rev. Chad Wells
http://www.wellstattoo.com
http://www.internationaltattooart.com/itablog
Old 03-11-2008, 01:08 PM
Field Marshal

hes calling them "ala prima"?????

wow.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDON BOND View Post
hes calling them "ala prima"?????

wow.
LOL!!!!
"Art Glossary: Alla Prima"

Definition: A style of painting where, instead of building colours up with layers, the painting is done in one session while the paint is still wet. From the Italian word which literally means at once.

kinda makes sense though.
Old 03-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Field Marshal

Im aware of its definition bro but thank you. -

http://www.brandonbond.com/gallery/d...lbum=1&pos=118
http://brandonbond.deviantart.com/ar...-Frog-29160088

Im just surprised he called it that - thats what he and I described my work as being while he was here and I have been asked about it in several articles since. Just surprised me thats all.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:20 PM
Private

fishy very fishy.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 AM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDON BOND View Post
Im aware of its definition bro but thank you. -

http://www.brandonbond.com/gallery/d...lbum=1&pos=118
http://brandonbond.deviantart.com/ar...-Frog-29160088

Im just surprised he called it that - thats what he and I described my work as being while he was here and I have been asked about it in several articles since. Just surprised me thats all.
i thought it was rather ambitious to call it that. I was sure you knew what it meant, but i actually had to look it up....so thats why i added it. Apparently its colors in threes a dark, mid and highlight of each shade, which is an interesting approach, but seems like a lot of work instead of just blending in the tube.

That's interesting, i remember when josh was there, and that style first really hit the public eye, i was floored. weirrrd. That makes the name all the more interesting. wow.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:37 AM
Field Marshal

[QUOTE=conorblue;23343]Apparently its colors in threes a dark, mid and highlight of each shade, which is an interesting approach, but seems like a lot of work instead of just blending in the tube.
QUOTE]

I agree totally - all I need is a dark color pigment and a white and yellow.

its also interesting thats theres only like 2 0r three colors? is that right? this thread is turning out to be a promotion for this ink.

Its also interesting how someone mentioned how much they hated the ink? wow?
Old 03-12-2008, 09:39 AM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattoosByMaxim View Post
i have his set of inks they are very thin and as to what he claims they are for doing color realism if you have watched his second set of videos he describes how to best use them but honestly they are a waste of money and they are the same as dynamic if you have ever used dynamic inks basically undiluted dispersions with a very large micro particle pigment count. I also have one of his large mag shaders for doing solid color the machine is a good machine but nothing special i prefer dringenberg machines and tim hendricks machines. any more questions feel free to ask.

This is a serious statement. Many people rebottle 5 gallon buckets of ink and repackage it. I hope thats not whats happening here?

Tags
alla, inks, prima, tattoomachinezcom