Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 12-12-2009, 10:03 AM
Tattoo For LIfe
Private

Question Re: powder pigments vs pre dispersed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goody303 View Post
My primary questions are about tattoo ink, powder pigments and pre dispersed.

I've been tattooing for 5 years. I started off using Stable color, then got into trying different brands, or at least different colors from different brands that went in easier.

I tried Moms 14 karat Gold. What I tattooed healed weird and it was difficult to get in anyway so I didn't use it again. Then I bought Intenze cherry bomb red I think it's called and one the oranges. I got a similar outcome. The red just plain sucked and I stopped use immediately. The orange healed weird as well, too a long time and then had small bumps in it.

When I saw these reactions which I never experienced with Stable, I opened up the cap and smelled the Moms and Intenze. They smelled so bad and toxic, I poured them out and when I was trying to rinse the bottles, there was some sort of residue, kind of oily. It was like sludge, sticking to the wall of the bottle. Took me like 40 minutes to empty one 2 oz. bottle!

Then I got a primary color set from Dynamic except for yellow, I got Starbrite. Then I got Dermaglo white, red, yellow, magenta and blue because a close fellow artist swore by it, with 18 years of tattooing.

I've had nothing but GREAT results with all colors from Dynamic and Dermaglo. They go in super easy, heal well and I haven't had any reactions. I even started to tattoo faster which was great for me and the client.

PROBLEM!!

I'm in a new shop where they only use powder pigment from Freedom or United. They've informed me that nearly all of the inks have plastic/polymers and carcinogens. This includes Dynamic and Dermaglo among numerous others. These are pre dispersed, so what about those other surfactants, dissolving, dispersing agents? What are they???

I heard from a very reliable source that Dynamic ink is a water based ink bought in 5 gallon pails, then diluted with your standard glycerin, alcohol or witch hazel.

The ink starts out as pigment like all inks do, but is mixed with other 'things' making it a concentrated liquid. The original Dynamic Ink company was ink used for printing on boxes. I can't confirm any of this, or my sources but believe me, I'm the last person that wants to believe it could be true.

As far as the plastic, I'm experiencing it on a personal level. I've spent close to ten grand over the last three years getting a back piece with all the color by hand. It's been two years since the color is healed and I have tiny bumps all over the blue scales and the belly is raised. The whole color part of the tattoo is shiny. Even though the design is amazing, the color is outstanding and bright as you could possibly put in, these bumps won't go away. They don't itch, so it's not a reaction. Other artist's have looked at it and say it's scaring, done too deep, but there's no white shiny scaring. It's just raised, like I had tiny implants. My whole back feels like brail! It's gorgeous but what is this in me?!

Anyone, please give me feedback on this. How can we be using toxic ink?

I'm going back to powder and I'll go slower like I used to. I've been told that if you know how to work with powder, nothing compares to the results. I've heard good things about Waverly, I'll try them as well as Freedom.
yooo goody.. so do you already try the waverly ink ??? how's the result bro
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 11:47 PM
Corporal

Default Re: powder pigments vs pre dispersed

None of those companies sell "Toxic Ink" (they are all great, caring about the products they sell), You don't have to go slower with your work to use any kind of "pigment" based ink.(The reason that Waverly is so cool is that bill sells a solid product that he'll back up on his own) I use Waverly and tattoo fast as can be.
No tattoo should raise. And after 5 years of tattooing you should have at this point tried everything available on the market to see what works for you.
All of the brands that you named off sell solid products, Ask your mentor why these brands dont' work for you.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:18 AM
(.)(.) giggidy giggidy
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommiwommi View Post
None of those companies sell "Toxic Ink" (they are all great, caring about the products they sell), You don't have to go slower with your work to use any kind of "pigment" based ink.(The reason that Waverly is so cool is that bill sells a solid product that he'll back up on his own) I use Waverly and tattoo fast as can be.
No tattoo should raise. And after 5 years of tattooing you should have at this point tried everything available on the market to see what works for you.
All of the brands that you named off sell solid products, Ask your mentor why these brands dont' work for you.
first off, millenium ink(moms) is a crap ass ink, and a lot if not most inks do carry some sort of plastic in them. waverly and a couple others do not. if your shop will not let you use what works for you, then go some place else, because thats bulls&!t. and as far as using everything on the market, the only people that do that are compulsive buyers. not everybody just has to have everything or try everything, people that do that tend to go around in circles, and buy anything with a pretty package.
my advice would be to either go back to stable, or get some waverly or easy glow, they are the best powdered inks out.

"dont cry over spilled milk, get mad and punch a cow"......-steven colbert
Old 12-17-2009, 04:11 AM
Private

I unfortunatly had not the best apprenticeship out there. I didn't have the training to mix my own powdered inks. I really like eternal and dynamic. I also use some intenze but notice a bit of change from batch to batch. I have never had anyone have serious reactions. (The only reaction or trouble healing was intenze magenta, the girl was allergic to hair dye and did not disclose this to me on her paperwork.) I have not had problems with any ink but millinium in my own very sensitive skin. i definitly don't want to toxify anyone more than what our air allready does...Should I be researching powder pigments? I have a friend that uses them and would definitly show me how to mix em?
Old 12-17-2009, 08:13 AM
Field Marshal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizab1tc4 View Post
I unfortunatly had not the best apprenticeship out there. I didn't have the training to mix my own powdered inks. I really like eternal and dynamic. I also use some intenze but notice a bit of change from batch to batch. I have never had anyone have serious reactions. (The only reaction or trouble healing was intenze magenta, the girl was allergic to hair dye and did not disclose this to me on her paperwork.) I have not had problems with any ink but millinium in my own very sensitive skin. i definitly don't want to toxify anyone more than what our air allready does...Should I be researching powder pigments? I have a friend that uses them and would definitly show me how to mix em?
waverly is a powder based pigment. no mixing required, just buy em!
Old 12-17-2009, 11:43 AM
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizab1tc4 View Post
what did being allergic to hair dye have to do with the magenta? I have seen a reaction to the Intenze Koolaid, all healed and a few months later all the sudden itchy blistery bumps, lasted for about a month, then just stopped.
Old 12-17-2009, 05:58 PM
Private

I will have to try the waverly. If you are allergic to hair dye you are more likely to have a reaction to color.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 PM
Corporal

I didn't know about reactions to hair dye, I'll have to keep that in the back of my mind. Thanks
Old 12-17-2009, 09:04 PM
underwear is optional...
Corporal

checked the block this morning for my batch of waverly.. cant fuggin wait!!!!
Old 12-17-2009, 10:29 PM
Private

Ya, im gonna order the sample set next week, been using the same for bout 2 years now, time for something new...

Tags
dispersed, pigments, powder, pre