Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 05-02-2012, 12:00 AM
Recruit

Default wtf happened to my lining?

i swear i used to be able to do this! i'm not sure what i've been doing wrong. i BELIEVE my technique is the same- consistent hand speed, 90-45 degree angles . compared to my older work, i've been using different ink and a different machine. can anyone tell if this is an equipment or user error? inconsistent depth? power fluctuations in the machine?

Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 AM
Private

Default Re: wtf happened to my lining?

Seeing you changed your machine and Ink it could be either, or even your technique as you say you "believe" your technique is the same.
Why did you change everything if your previous gear was good?
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 AM
Recruit

the original machine was just a bunch of the boss' leftover parts from my apprenticeship. eventually i bought a new liner from workhorse so i used that original machine to just f@#k around with to try and figure out what did what. the new one i was scared to adjust it at all, no tuning it up. i went to school so was only tattooing once every few months. a lot of time passed and the thing just turned to balls. i've replaced the springs and cleaned off all the buildup and s&!t since then, but i still get these s&!t results.

fat line thin line fat line blowout all in the same pull. s&!t looks fine when it goes out the door. comes back lookin like i did it in a kitchen in a moving trailer. i can count on one hand the times i've actually seen a blowout happen.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:38 AM
Private

Did your "Boss" not teach you to tune a machine, there's more to it than changing springs and cleaning.
If your machine is tuned to the way you work and the ink is good then it's your technique causing the blowout.
Are your needles good?
Old 05-02-2012, 09:26 AM
Recruit

ha ha he sure didn't. but i wanted to make minimal changes on that machine cuz it was set up by someone who knows what they're doing.

i've always used the same needles, so it's not that. the ink- i read something about eternal black blowing out so that gives me some hope that it's not me! also i'm not so good with making the machines do what i want. (i'm swimmin in the info but i can't seem to apply much. )so i'd say it can be narrowed down to the machine or me. which is why i'm writing this. thought maybe someone would help me figure out what's up. maybe it's my power supply.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Recruit

It looks like your using petroleum jelly.Your machines too high.In Germany there's this old school legend that some tattooers remove their pinky fingers cause it got in the way of dropping a consistent smooth positive line.I slinged my knuckles up with a paper towel to carry the slack of my baby knuckle. It looks like your using a 7 liner, am I correct? sevens are very common to use but are hard to learn off of.Use 5 round liners.

Petroleum,... It is useful to soften the skin making it more penetrable.But when your machine is turned up high your creates blocking in the tube for ink to travel and makes the line into a laceration instead of a line.Like a scalpel. when lining one does not press,The skin should not flex when lining if you are running the tube along the skin.If your tattooing with a hang then it explains itself.
machine setup could be the issue.Your gauge of rear spring could be to thick. I use 16 to 18 gauge when I line or color. The thinner the spring, the harder the arm bar is going to come down. Making that line smooth as pussywalls. Cut back front springs are key too.and get a light arm bar is you want a short throw.a heavy arm bar is for long throws.or powder soft shading. Does my crazy talk help any?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:28 AM
Recruit

It almost looks like you had a barbed needle. Do all of your tats turn out like this or only this one? Either way, you should be using an eyeloop to check every needle to make sure it is not hooked. And, while tatttooing, if you hit the inkcap with the needle, it can become barbed and useless. Another problem I have noticed is that some of my tubes were wearing down and the needle was not sitting in the tip properly and the inkflow was being obstructed. One solution to that is use Cheyenne Hawk Rotary machine. Also the Hawk has no springs to worry about, just smooth tattooing.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:30 AM
Recruit

first off, Rito- "smooth as pussywalls". you sir have won the internet.

can you explain the pinky finger getting in the way thing? or is it just legend and not really need explanation. where do you sling your knuckle to?

the petroleum thing might be it. i'm pretty inconsistent with it. i think i could probably use less than i am. also this liner goes fast since i'm tryin to keep from having to do more thank one pass.

i use thin springs but maybe the front spring is the problem. i took a normal length spring and chopped the end off cuz it is le cutback. maybe the width is making it too hard.

sometimes i think it is the inkflow. my machine sounds inconsistent when it runs (listen here) Everyone i've talked to is stumped about that.

i'm interested in the rotaries, but i don't know s&!t all about them. it's just a little motor isn't it? are there a lot of variables that alter eachother when changed like with the coil machines?

Tags
happened, lining, wtf