Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 05-19-2008, 01:10 AM
Private

Default The nature of Apprenticeships

Hey guys!

Sorry if this has been done to death.. I was wondering if I could get some information on what a tattoo apprenticeship actually involves? Are they usually paid or unpaid? Does the apprentice pay for it or earn their education through working at the shop?

I'm an Australian and its a little hard to find good information on the industry here. Right now I'm considering going into tattoos as a career choice.. But I want to make sure its the right one. I'd love to one day be working in the states too.

--
Off topic but I love the work you guys do helping to save Pit Bulls.. BSL is in effect in Australia too.. Its such bulls&!t.

Last edited by Kowai; 05-19-2008 at 01:13 AM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 09:22 AM
that guy
Private

Default Re: The nature of Apprenticeships

Depends on where you do the apprenticeship. Each artist has their own idea of the process and how to earn/pay for it.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 10:11 AM
LBT

In most reputable shops you will pay for your apprenticeship.
Old 05-20-2008, 08:29 AM
Private

My question would be - would most artists work with an aprentice on hours - like say if someone was taking college classes or doing a part time job - or would the artist want to own my ass all day? Alos what kind of $$ are we talking about giving up for an aprenticeship - on average?
Old 05-20-2008, 01:09 PM
LBT

I think that would be in the agreement of the apprenticeship....but I dont think it would be like college classes....most cases you need to pay your dues and I dont mean the money. We did a poll on this subject not too long ago and the shops ranged from 5k to 20k for an apprenticeship. This is nothing like a college class or career choice...if you are fortunate enough to get into the business with a reputable mentor it is a gift and should be treated like one no matter what the price was!! There are too many people wanting to get into this business these days that lack heart, most of the time if someone is asking these questions the heart isnt there. The people that have the heart know that they want to tattoo and are willing to do anything to do that.....
just my two cents again
Old 05-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBT View Post
I think that would be in the agreement of the apprenticeship....but I dont think it would be like college classes....most cases you need to pay your dues and I dont mean the money. We did a poll on this subject not too long ago and the shops ranged from 5k to 20k for an apprenticeship. This is nothing like a college class or career choice...if you are fortunate enough to get into the business with a reputable mentor it is a gift and should be treated like one no matter what the price was!! There are too many people wanting to get into this business these days that lack heart, most of the time if someone is asking these questions the heart isnt there. The people that have the heart know that they want to tattoo and are willing to do anything to do that.....
just my two cents again
well spoken
Old 05-20-2008, 04:00 PM
Field Marshal

EVERY situation is different and private between you and your mentor.

no 2 are alike - even here... its a secretive awesome private thing that breeds respect for the industry and sucess... usually hahaaa
Old 05-20-2008, 07:07 PM
Private

Thanks for the replies guys

I've been seriously considering getting into tattooing since I was introduced to it last year. I've just finished my Advanced Diploma in Multimedia (I know, sounds bad, but it was a 3D animation/art course), I've always loved to draw too so I'm trying to look at my options..

I never considered tattooing as a career before because I grew up not knowing anyone with tattoos and was never introduced to it.. Last year I got to see it done for the first time and I've also gotten two tattoos of my own I just love the artwork, the drawing, the colour..

Anyway thanks for the info. I've heard before that you can earn your apprenticeship by working in the tattoo studio (unpaid).. I'd actually never heard before that alot of people pay for their apprenticeship. I guess most people would get a part-time job to support themselves during right? I hate to ask about the money side, but I'm out of home and renting so its kind of a concern

--Edit--

Oh man the dream would be to get a loan and go work overseas in America tattooing.. So broke, so broke.

Last edited by Kowai; 05-20-2008 at 07:10 PM..
Old 05-20-2008, 09:42 PM
Needs Church
Field Marshal

Quote:
just my two cents again
WOW !
Hats off to this post ! Very Well Spoken !
... ( y )
Old 05-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Private

Quote:
just my two cents again
Oh - I wasn't implying that it would be like taking a college class - I was just saying that maybe that would be occurring at the same time as an aprenticeship. Maybe I should have asked instead - not what should be expected of any aprenticeship, but how would some of you - the tattoo artists - handle it? Honestly - I truely would see getting a reputable tattoo artist as a mentor to be a gift. I would love to learn from someone that really knows their stuff. I'm just wondering what can be expected. Heck, I just really want to learn, and since I'm finely in a place where I don't have to expect to move again soon - I'm ready to start looking for a mentor. The rumor in Columbus, GA is that most shops aren't interested in aprentices right now because there are no job openings for tattoo artists when the aprenticeship is done. Rumor is rumor though. I',m working on putting together a portfolio though, and I'm going to need to get a part time job soon, so the family can get by while I get this ball rolling.
-crafty cat

Tags
apprenticeships, nature