Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 
Old 08-03-2009, 12:35 PM
Recruit

Default Please help! Pitbull needs a home, not much time left

Hi everyone,

Sorry I'm only signing up to post this but I am completely out of ideas. I apologize for the length in advance.

In January of this year, we took in an approx 1 yr old pitbull that was found wandering (abandoned?) on the streets. He was badly abused and had scars and cuts all over his body. He was also a bit timid and confused. We suspected that he had been a fighting dog because of the shape he was in but had no way of knowing for sure. We already have 3 dogs (3 Boxers) but we really had no choice because the girl that found him (an acquaintance) was going to take him to the shelter.

The first few months were rough because the whole order in the house was messed up but we hung in there. We got him cleaned up, took him for his shots, got him neutered, & placed him on heartworm preventive. He had adjusted to our house pretty well in the last 8 months and his scars healed for the most part. He also discovered he was a very happy and confident dog.

During these 8 months, we had him listed with every pitbull rescue site we can think of in North Carolina (where we live) as well as up and down the east coast, west coast, and even the mid-west. We've had no luck. He is also listed with our local animal adoption group called AARF and is on petfinder in several different zip codes.

Seamus is a wonderful dog...he is soo sweet, super smart, extremely perceptive,...and incredibly strong. He seems to have dog aggression towards dogs he is unfamiliar with. We started working with a trainer to work on his aggression issues and has been making some progress.

OUR ONLY THING IS....our oldest Boxer Murphy,(who is 4 1/2) and alpha male does NOT like Seamus. For the most part, they just stay out of each other's way but I have caught them staring each other down sometimes. Murphy and Seamus used to have little squabbles in the beginning but would stop as soon as I called for them to stop; it was very minor. Lately, however, its been getting really bad. About 3 weeks ago, Murphy started a fight with Seamus and I had a very hard time prying them apart. When I did, Murphy had to be rushed to the emergency vet for deep wounds on his leg. Seamus had puffy eyes and scratches on his nose but wasn't as badly hurt as Murphy.

After that incident, we had them separated more and watched them a lot closer. This past Saturday, they got into another fight again. Murphy started the fight, again, but this time, I was unable to pry them apart at all. I tried getting in the middle, I tried throwing a glass of cold water on them, I tried spraying them with water, nothing. Thankfully, my husband was down the block and I called him. They stopped as soon as my husband yelled out "Seamus, no!" (sigh, I know this means they don't respect me if they don't listen to me.) There was blood everywhere on the carpet, on me, on the walls. This time, we rushed them BOTH to the e-vet. Murphy had puncture wounds in all over his nose area and face and a puncture by his throat. Seamus had cuts below his eye and across his snout. It was a horrifying experience. I know that once dogs fight, any other fights will have more intensity than the previous fight.

So this is the point we are at now. We know we cannot continue to keep Seamus because it wouldn't be fair to both of dogs that they are living in constant tension. Not to mention, we can't do this anymore...it is emotionally draining to see them fight and financially, we cannot continue to keep bringing them to the emergency vet. We are emailing rescue groups again and have sent at least 2 emails to Nicole at all or nothing but have never received a response. Everyone seems to be at capacity. We are pleading with anyone that may be able to help us. We cannot fathom taking Seamus to the vet to be put to sleep. He is really an awesome dog and deserves a family that can give him the world.

If anyone has any suggestions, advice, etc, we would greatly appreciate it. We really have no where to turn. I know its not time to be picky, but Seamus would do best with an individual/family that really knows the pitbull breed and that understands he still needs work and can be firm with him. Does anyone know anything about All or Nothing rescue? Is there a way we can put Seamus on a waiting list? Like I said, we have emailed Nicole twice but haven't received a response.

We are in North Carolina but are WILLING TO TRANSPORT HIM ANYWHERE IN THE COUNTRY.

If anyone needs more information about Seamus, please email me.

Thank you for reading.
Sandra
sandra.atchison at yahoo.com
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote

Tags
home, left, pitbull, time