Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 11-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Private

Talking Re: pale skin versus dark skin: prejudice in canvas

appreciate all the replies!
you guys are awesome!
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 02:56 AM
Private

Default Re: pale skin versus dark skin: prejudice in canvas

Heres a butterfly I did today on a local Jamaican chick-Her skin was alot darker than it looks in the pic...(theres an authentic Jamaican grocery store/kitchen next door to our shop, so we all eat lotsa Jerk chicken and I get to tattoo alot of darker skin) Good fun always...

Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 04:36 PM
Private

Wink Re: pale skin versus dark skin: prejudice in canvas

a few darkskin color injections!

Old 12-06-2007, 04:46 PM
the cap'm
Corporal

I live diagonally opposite you guys all the way across the country...oregon does not get much sunshine. even the blackest folk here are pale hahaha

I've noticed that when I was down south I had more problems working on all skin- not just darker skin. the sun really makes people thicker and more difficult to work on. Up here everyone is easier to tattoo.
Old 12-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Field Marshal

I was spoiled when you and I worked together in seattle also - then I moved to new orleans and had a rude awakening! hahahaaa

but I learned a lot by being there and ANNETTE LARUE at electric ladyland is awesome!!! she fired me but I love her anyways!!!!

hahahaaaa
Old 12-07-2007, 03:11 AM
the cap'm
Corporal

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRANDON BOND View Post
I was spoiled when you and I worked together in seattle also - then I moved to new orleans and had a rude awakening! hahahaaa

but I learned a lot by being there and ANNETTE LARUE at electric ladyland is awesome!!! she fired me but I love her anyways!!!!

hahahaaaa

hahaha that sounds about right

yeah, I've found that even the darker skinned folks up here are big ole softies. they never get the sunshine, so their skin is nice and smooth and easy. When I was in CA even pale people were hard like leather...that sucked

Hey also I'm working the philly convention this year...I will be headed your way after that...end of april? woot woot visiting times hahaha

here's a set of flappy wings on a nice darker skinned young lady. she was awesome. skin like golden brown butter! like all my clients up here, soft and sweet. I love hippies hahaha
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_11110250 (182).JPG (72.8 KB, 32 views)
Old 12-07-2007, 03:16 AM
Corporal

tattoos on dark skin look a lot brighter when they are fresh. You have to wait for the heal product to obtain the verdict.

Black, green and red are my fav colors to work on dark skin.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:28 AM
The Chocha Choker
Corporal

Wow this thread really shed some light on something I thought was true for a little while!! It's nice to have your thoughts backed up by a group of talented artists!!
he'll even tell you how I packed a #2 pencil......
Old 12-21-2007, 04:56 AM
the cap'm
Corporal

yeah they def tone down when they heal. that picture of the lady below is healed. We did the last part (one of the bottom swirls) a month before the picture. It took us about a year to finish, so as you can see some areas are well settled and others look very bright yet.

Here's a nother healed pic- this fella had even a bit darker tone than the lady below. But you can use color- just make sure the tonal contrast is still really high. Like that yellow is pale, but the blue I used behind it is very dark blue. Think of what the picture qwould look like if you took a black and white photo of it, and aim to have very high dark/light contrast that way. Then you will have the freedom to use color, but make it work on a darker canvas

I love dark skin work. I really do. I do a lot of painting on black velvet and on dark-tone canvas, with translucent paints, and I get to apply a lot of that knowledge when I work on darker skin.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg o5fb5f5b.jpg (91.3 KB, 21 views)

Last edited by resonanteye; 12-21-2007 at 05:00 AM..
Old 12-22-2007, 02:07 AM
Corporal

I was the first Tattoo Artist in Atlanta to tattoo African Americans and Hispanics. I had to learn the hard way what would work and what would not. The skin pictures shown here are considered light skin to me. The only dark skinned I don't like tattooing are the ones that I know will fade quickly and won't show anything within a short period. I have a good friend that is black skinned and we have tried everything to get a tattoo to show. He is sleeved on both arms and no one but him and I can see them.

Many dark skinned cultures do scarification because they couldn't get tattoos to show up.

Many artists are afraid to work on darker skin people because they have a fear of keloids developing from the tattooing.

Tags
canvas, dark, pale, prejudice, skin, versus