Best Atlanta Tattoo Studio Voted By Creative Loafing Readers

HomeNew Tattoo ImagesTattoo ImagesAll or Nothing ArtworkRead about us in the pressCheck out our bumpin message boardLearn about our studioWatch videos about All or NothingRead our massive gallery of articles about usHow to get hereLearn how to take care of that new tattooCheck out our hellafied links pageShow your support by linking back to usGet some All or Nothing gear at Stranglehold Merch 

Go Back   All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio > Open Chat > Technical Questions

Old 03-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Private

Default Who specifically at AoN would be a good "fit" for tattooing this kind of image/style?

http://www.doodlerblog.com/wp-conten...rls-doodle.jpg

I am looking at getting a full bodysuit with something very similar to that (sharp pointy-edge thick, heavy blackwork shapes that contour around each other as to give it an "electric" kind of look) and then I want to go in and put really bold dark concentrate "cool colors" in the center of the negative space that do a hard fade out to a strong glowy medium tint "thin halo near edge" of whatever the color in question is. No pastel hues or lightening with white too much.. I want to keep it very bold, straight, unnatural, and strong all the way through. If it absolutely needs contrast.. then maybe doing something like taking a one liner and lining a very small "Japanese neon pink" highlight right up near the edge of the black, without having to go any lighter on the colors themselves.

I'm not going for contrast, but rather I want to "transform" my whole skin tone into this very detailed, chaotic heavy blackwork oddity with heavily textured colors in the negative space (by using a dark central dominant core of whatever tint of color it is in the negative space.. like royal dark blue concentrate blending out to like a strong thin "halo" of medium-light blue with a jap pink hightlight right up near the black edge) to the point where you could not even discern my original skin color anymore. Basically the dominant color in the negative space would be the dark concentrate color tint.. which would give it a heavy texture right next to whatever thin "glowy" halo is near the black.

Basically to put it another way.. I want to shift my entire skin tone as far away from the natural skin tone as possible by using nothing but solid black and dark to medium glowy "cool" colors but no warm colors. It's something that I haven't been able to really find any references to but I want to push the envelope and try it. I think something like a jap pink as a highlight could definately add a nice twist to the whole thing.

Maybe Vince Villalvazo/Joe Waulken/Short?

I have no doubt that they could do an outstanding job on something this "bizarre".

What are your alls thoughts?

Working on paying off a lot of personal debt right now.. but as soon as its paid off this is my next life goal.

I couldn't figure out how to post the picture directly.. please let me know and I can edit the thread if you want me to.

Last edited by Graupel; 03-13-2010 at 12:33 AM..
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:04 AM
Platoon Sargent

Default Re: Who specifically at AoN would be a good "fit" for tattooing this kind of image/st

The pic you posted is nothing but maximum contrast. I can't see how you could pull this off and keep it looking well done.
I don't work @ AoN though.
Submit to Clesto Submit to Digg Submit to Reddit Submit to Furl Submit to Del.icio.us Submit to Spurl Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 09:32 PM
Private

Default Re: Who specifically at AoN would be a good "fit" for tattooing this kind of image/st

I'm not really going for contrast though... but if the image is blown up a bit (and redrawn of course to be similar but different since this is someone else's art) I would imagine it could be done. A jap pink highlight right next to the black in the negative space with dark-medium colors in the middle spreading outwards I would imagine would give it just enough to be distinguishable. I want it to be very dark and shocking but more of a "subtle" versus a large contrast.

I see your point though.. black next to white skin is the best you can get as far as contrast goes. But that's not what I'm going for.

I'm not looking at this as a tattoo though in the conventional sense.. but rather a transformation of my entire skin into a very subtle contrast / heavy dark electric "shock" value kind of thing.

Last edited by Graupel; 03-13-2010 at 09:35 PM..
Old 03-14-2010, 10:47 PM
Corporal

If you are serious about a body suit go to A and N they will keep you on schedule. So many great artists elsewhere end up lazy about this kind of s&!t. I would discuss the theme with them, and consider shopping for more reference. that design is quite simple for a complete tranformation. Black geo-metric work can look amazing on skin. call a and n and have a budget!
Old 03-15-2010, 08:25 PM
Private

Yep that's my plan... to get it done at AoN (I'm looking at Vince Villalvazo so far for something like this).

I'm still debating whether it would be more cost effective to just relocate down to Atlanta from Fairbanks, AK but right now I just gotta keep paying off this damn credit card debt.. then I'll be free to save my money, get vacation time and start sorting all this stuff out.

That black image + heavy textured bold colors will make for an interesting transformation of my skin tone, being that it is very pasty white.

Once I start it I'll definately post some pics.

As for the actual black image itself.. that is the actual design that I'm basically going for.. sharp pointy-edge shapes that contour around each other as to give a very "electric" kind of effect. I don't want to go too thick on the shapes (as I could end up looking like a cow) or have the negative space overpower the black. But I'll work that out soon enough.

Last edited by Graupel; 03-15-2010 at 08:35 PM..
Old 03-16-2010, 02:28 AM
Platoon Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los View Post
If you are serious about a body suit go to A and N they will keep you on schedule. So many great artists elsewhere end up lazy about this kind of s&!t. I would discuss the theme with them, and consider shopping for more reference. that design is quite simple for a complete tranformation. Black geo-metric work can look amazing on skin. call a and n and have a budget!
Reference? I thought that was stealing.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:57 PM
Private

I'm not stealing that by any means.. I don't want to give that impression. The shapes themselves and the arrangement can be generalized and redrawn to be completely custom. Doesn't have to be copied exactly like that drawing.. but moreso using that drawing as a "reference" in which to draw something custom that fits any particular body part.. keeping the same general idea (pointy sharp edge black shapes that contour around each other to create unique random patterns).
Old 03-16-2010, 09:21 PM
Platoon Sargent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graupel View Post
I'm not stealing that by any means.. I don't want to give that impression. The shapes themselves and the arrangement can be generalized and redrawn to be completely custom. Doesn't have to be copied exactly like that drawing.. but moreso using that drawing as a "reference" in which to draw something custom that fits any particular body part.. keeping the same general idea (pointy sharp edge black shapes that contour around each other to create unique random patterns).
I was referring to another thread where reference material was called stealing.
http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/fo...ead.php?t=5275
Old 03-17-2010, 01:42 AM
MakingInsanityFunSince'83
Field Marshal

You can't go wrong with any artist there.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Corporal

yeah i agree that it isnt a hard piece to do. It would just be so taxing for an Artist to complete, stay motivated, making proper time for you and this monster of a....well dont hate me for saying this..."tribal piece". I think i would need to see a Shrink after that body suit to make the nightmares stop...lol
Interesting idea u hav tho

Tags
aon, fit, good, image or style, kind, specifically, tattooing