View Single Post
Old 05-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Private

Default Re: The nature of Apprenticeships

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBT View Post
I think that would be in the agreement of the apprenticeship....but I dont think it would be like college classes....most cases you need to pay your dues and I dont mean the money. We did a poll on this subject not too long ago and the shops ranged from 5k to 20k for an apprenticeship. This is nothing like a college class or career choice...if you are fortunate enough to get into the business with a reputable mentor it is a gift and should be treated like one no matter what the price was!! There are too many people wanting to get into this business these days that lack heart, most of the time if someone is asking these questions the heart isnt there. The people that have the heart know that they want to tattoo and are willing to do anything to do that.....
just my two cents again
Oh - I wasn't implying that it would be like taking a college class - I was just saying that maybe that would be occurring at the same time as an aprenticeship. Maybe I should have asked instead - not what should be expected of any aprenticeship, but how would some of you - the tattoo artists - handle it? Honestly - I truely would see getting a reputable tattoo artist as a mentor to be a gift. I would love to learn from someone that really knows their stuff. I'm just wondering what can be expected. Heck, I just really want to learn, and since I'm finely in a place where I don't have to expect to move again soon - I'm ready to start looking for a mentor. The rumor in Columbus, GA is that most shops aren't interested in aprentices right now because there are no job openings for tattoo artists when the aprenticeship is done. Rumor is rumor though. I',m working on putting together a portfolio though, and I'm going to need to get a part time job soon, so the family can get by while I get this ball rolling.
-crafty cat