All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio

All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio (http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Questions (http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Tattoo apprenticeships as defined by the APT (http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1275)

BRANDON BOND 06-13-2007 04:29 PM

Tattoo apprenticeships as defined by the APT

Tattooing is an apprentice-based art. A traditional apprenticeship lasts at least three years. Our organization advocates that those who wish to learn the profession follow this route. There are so many variables to learn (such as skin condition, medications that affect tattooing, machine building and adjustment, design color and selection, pigment reactions and variations) that the "trial and error" approach is criminal. Tattooing places the health and well being of your client, not to mention yourself, at risk. By taking advantage of the knowledge held by an experienced, professional artist, you will avoid many costly mistakes.

In past years, schools have opened that claim to teach tattooing. Many of these schools will turn you out in a matter of months. It is an option, but a poor one. There is no way you can learn all you need to know about skin, machines, design selection and infection control in 6 months. Additionally, you will not have the respect of your peers. In this industry, that can be very important.

Landing an apprenticeship can take a lot of persistence. First, it helps if you have tattoos. A person who is not tattooed and has not lived as a tattooed person does not present a very compelling argument for entering the profession. If you are not tattooed, you can't help a first timer make those very important decisions about selection, size and placement. You are also not showing much of a commitment to the tattoo community.

An apprenticeship is rarely, if ever, free. You would not expect to attend a trade school without paying tuition so don't expect an artist to provide you with the tools for making a living without expecting compensation for the knowledge.

When looking for an apprenticeship, put together a portfolio of your artwork. Designs that are similar to tattoo flash would be most appropriate, though anything that shows your skill with composition, color and line would be good. Lastly, you should make appointments to talk to the artists in your area. You should be willing to wash floors and scrub toilets. Artists probably see 30 people a week who want to become tattooists, most of them talented artists in other mediums. If you want to set yourself apart, you are going to have to stand out. What most of these people lack is a willingness to start at the bottom and learn the right way. As one artist put it: "I can make an artist. I can't stand a hotshot." This is an industry that places heavy emphasis on respect; respect for the history and traditions and for those that have come before.

Topshelftattoo 06-13-2007 04:59 PM

Re: Tattoo apprenticeships as defined by the APT

it will e along time before i take on another one

BRANDON BOND 06-20-2007 03:44 PM

the only real way for an artist to learn is from another artist like jedi's yo

parabellum 06-20-2007 04:05 PM

It was the same with blacksmiths, and many other forms of highly skilled labor.

In Japan, sword making, sword polishing, sword mounting...it was all the same way, passed from person to person under almost secretive conditions.

When you apprentice to be a sword smith in Japan...it is typical to spend the first months (like 6 months) just learning how to properly cut the charcoal to make the forge fires. 6 months just cutting little ass blocks of charcoal and sweeping the shop...you never even get to touch steel for years. But eventually, after years of hard work and paying your dues...you come out of it with skills and knowledge of technique that would have been *impossible* to obtain any other way.

Certain things just can't be rushed, or written down completely...they need to be given from one person to the next over a long period of time.

And people wonder why *good* tattoos are "expensive".

BRANDON BOND 06-20-2007 05:13 PM

hahahhahahaha - I love you more everyday

weve got to get you over to anti art elite for a day with dave and I

parabellum 06-20-2007 08:07 PM

>weve got to get you over to anti art elite for a day with dave and I

I'm honored!

BRANDON BOND 06-20-2007 10:07 PM

lets get it on talk to matt yo!

BRANDON BOND 06-20-2007 10:08 PM

we will supply the guns

drhill 07-11-2007 11:18 PM

It's strange, I am apprenticing right now and every time my mentor "reviews" my progress she moves up the time it's going to be that I start working. I didn't have any plans as far as how long it would take - I figured a couple years - but was willing to do whatever it took.
As for BEING tattoed... I never had the TIME to do it! What with working as a crane operator for the last ten years, usually out of town at 12 hours a day, 7 days a week! But even though I'm not sleeved or whatever, just changing careers at 37 years old, when I made 70,000 a year already, with a wife and two kids and being the only one working, I still have the respect and the commitment to the art of tattooing. And being an artist in many mediums I'm dieing to get going just to make art! I am anal as hell when it comes to sterilization and protecting everyone involved, I haven't done anymore tats out of the pad because of how f@#king dirty a house is as opposed to a shop.
I've now moved the whole production to my back yard and scoop dog s&!t while working on my guinee pig so i don't waste the gloves... but I do wipe the shovel with an HB wipe! lololol
I'm starting to get the sleeves though, Corey Miller has done a portrait of Dali on my forearm (I was born the same day and he was my first favorite artist). I am going to do all of my fave artists on my left art and samples of their art on my right. I'm getting a painting by Michael Hussar done on my right by Corey on that new show L.A. Ink probably next week... "movie stahhh" lol. The painting is my user icon, it's a portrait of Hans Memling.

561design 07-12-2007 07:26 AM

Interesting read. The industrial design industry is the same as well. Although you have to get through HR to interview with the hiring manager. You still have to present a strong portfolio. Now that I'm working in the field for the past 5 years I'm still upgrading my portfolio.

It's good to see other industries still insist on "paying your dues".