All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio

All or Nothing Tattoo and Art Studio (http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/forums/index.php)
-   Technical Questions (http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   smoother shading techniques (http://www.allornothingtattoo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1433)

destroyyourdemons 07-23-2007 11:10 PM

smoother shading techniques

I recently read Joshua Carltons book, and it was very infromative, but I'm still confused. He mentions that he uses a " cutback shader" to get smooth blends. I don't get how a shorter stroke at a faster pace will get a smoother blend. any help on getting my color blends and my black and gray blends to look like there is no transition at all would be greatly appreciated.

a.

BRANDON BOND 07-24-2007 10:30 AM

Re: smoother shading techniques

I cover this a lot in my seminar dvd and to be honest I say quite the opposite??? not to ruin the "plot" hahahaaa

yeah I dont understand what he means by that either????

destroyyourdemons 07-24-2007 02:33 PM

lookin forward to that investment!! can't wait to watch

jeffpaetzold 07-24-2007 03:47 PM

i agree with brandon on this one
i also find that if you use a rinse cup to cut your blacks, you can add a medium caps worth of white to the water and it gives you some super nice smooth light grays

destroyyourdemons 07-25-2007 09:24 AM

interesting.......i will have to try that. thanks Jeff!

k town tatts 08-07-2007 02:57 PM

i also own joshuas book and one of his machines and i have to say i love the guys work and the info on not grey lining was a treat but really other than that i didnt gain a great deal and the machine ran like s&!t. does any one else own one to comment????

resonanteye 08-07-2007 04:54 PM

I actually use a lot of white, watered down, in the mix along with greywash, and run the machine soft and fast

seems to help...no greylines, why would you greyline a smooth shaded area anyway? I don't get it

BRANDON BOND 08-14-2007 12:55 PM

Joshua Carlton is an incredible tattooer and I enjoyed tattooing with him while he was here, I have never used his machines so I cannot comment?

BobbyJack 05-07-2011 12:18 PM

Mine showed up with everything loose. I had to line the spring back up with the contact point on the shader. It also took about 6 months and 15 emails to get them. No disrespect to JC.

travelingtom 05-08-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyJack (Post 69716)
Mine showed up with everything loose. I had to line the spring back up with the contact point on the shader. It also took about 6 months and 15 emails to get them. No disrespect to JC.

his machines are junk, unless your a big name in the industry, or a friend of his, i ordered one of his machines over 4 years ago, it took over a year to get the f@#king thing, and when i got it, it was half assed assembled. dont get me wrong, hes f@#king awesome at tattooing, but not building machines on a production level, maybe a couple one offs here and there, but not a lot at once.